Anyone Squirrel hunt?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
John1961

Anyone Squirrel hunt?

Postby John1961 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:32 am

I got 4 big one's this morning while scouting and just getting out and back into the woods. Gonna fire up the grill tonight. 
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

OHhunter

RE: Anyone Squirrel hunt?

Postby OHhunter » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:00 am

I usually go out a couple times, my youngest daughter normally goes with me, she wears a game pack so she can tote them out.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:59 pm

The last few times I went squirrel hunting I got poison ivy.  I think it was secondary exposure from the squirrels climbing around in the stuff...had the oils on their fur.  Took the fun out of it for me. 

SwampFox

Postby SwampFox » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:01 am

I used to love it when I was a kid.  I would love to do it again but I'm just not that into eating them anymore.  Kind of like eating rats.  Plus its a lot of work for a little meat.  Just not a big small game guy I guess.  I know a few people who do eat them though.  If they are willing to do the work cleaning them I would love to get out and hunt them again.  I'm thinking of buying a ruger single action revolver in .22 mag for that purpose + plinking.  Seems like it would add a new twist to it.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:12 am

I used to before I got into bow hunting.  It was alot of fun and would normally get a few everytime I went out.
Scott

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:25 am

I usually go with my buddy after deer season a few times.  We have quite an abundance up on my land.  We usually just make stew meat out of them.  Does anyone know if you can shoot black squirrels?  We have quite a few of them but we don't shoot them because we're not sure if it is legal.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:26 am

I have been an avid squirrel hunter my whole life. No better quarry to build a hunting career on. Shame not as many kids are shown how these days.

Not sure I understand the post regarding "not much meat."

Two grays is a pot of chili any day of the week. 

I haven't had a chance to hunt them with gun or bow since becoming a falconer, but the birds have taught me more about squirrel hunting than I ever learned on my own. Squirrels are a tough resourceful animal that can test the best hunter anytime

SwampFox

Postby SwampFox » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:51 am

Regarding not much meat.  I live in Florida and the grays dont get very big here.  Takes at least a half dozen to make it worth going out.  I've been shown a few times but I never really figured out the trick to the cut and rip skinning tactic.  I guess It wouldnt be as bad if I had that down.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:01 pm

I love squirrel hunting, and even love eating them more...Only bad part is I really don't have the time anymore.  Used to do it all the time when I was younger.  I'm bringing up my nephew into hunting now though so we may get into it again here soon....
QDM!

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:45 am

I started going with a group when we were all teenagers. We hunt opening weekend and have for about 40 years now. Over the years the group has grown. Now we have children and grandchildren. I still enjoy sitting under an oak tree with my single shot 22 trying to head shoot squirrels. The second Saturday in Nov. is when it always happens.
Stump sittin since 1981

Next

Return to Off Topic