Anyone Squirrel hunt?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Squirrelhawker

RE: Anyone Squirrel hunt?

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:52 am

ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

They are a very interesting (and tasty) animal that we practically owe the colonization of North America to.

HUH?

Highly observant

Able to move three dimesionally with lightening speed

Prolific

adaptable

Omnivorous (yes, omnivorous)

Immensely strong for their size

Incredible eating if prepared correctly.

Pre-colonial North America east of the Miss river was almost entirely climax forest. Deer were actually rare there until the colonial sparked creation of farmland opened up the necessary area, and created the edge growth vital to whitetails and other forbe eating ruminants. One creature existed here in huge numbers- the tree squirrel. It fed early settlers so much and so often that it shaped the evolution of modern firearms and thus was born, "The Kentucky squirrel rifle"

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:17 am

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

They are a very interesting (and tasty) animal that we practically owe the colonization of North America to.

HUH?

Highly observant

Able to move three dimesionally with lightening speed

Prolific

adaptable

Omnivorous (yes, omnivorous)

Immensely strong for their size

Incredible eating if prepared correctly.

Pre-colonial North America east of the Miss river was almost entirely climax forest. Deer were actually rare there until the colonial sparked creation of farmland opened up the necessary area, and created the edge growth vital to whitetails and other forbe eating ruminants. One creature existed here in huge numbers- the tree squirrel. It fed early settlers so much and so often that it shaped the evolution of modern firearms and thus was born, "The Kentucky squirrel rifle"

You are obviously a squirrel aficionado & I do not doubt the accuracy of the facts you laid out. I do not dispute that I have a somewhat irrational aversion to squirrel stew.

It's just that if you place a squirrel, especially one of the dark varieties (without it's bushy tail) along side of a Norway Rat ... I can't see the difference, & hence my aversion to them as a cuisine option.

I apologize to you & anyone else whose mouth waters at the very thought of squirrel shish kebab ... if I inadvertently impugned your taste in wildlife delicacies.
[:D][:D]

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:39 am

I hear ya. That's what's cool about our country- lot's of choices.
Me, I can't get next to carp. Some say out of clean water they're terrific.
Woodchucks were supposedly some of the best eating depression era game available. Another rodent, yet like the squirrel, one that eats primarily agricultural crops and other vegetation. Another highly edible rodent not often ending up in the kitchen is the porcupine.

I thinks its sort of interesting, the different cultural and historical aspects of game consumption. Uh-oh geek alert...

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:39 am

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

I hear ya. That's what's cool about our country- lot's of choices.
Me, I can't get next to carp. Some say out of clean water they're terrific.
Woodchucks were supposedly some of the best eating depression era game available. Another rodent, yet like the squirrel, one that eats primarily agricultural crops and other vegetation. Another highly edible rodent not often ending up in the kitchen is the porcupine.

I thinks its sort of interesting, the different cultural and historical aspects of game consumption. Uh-oh geek alert...

Not at all. It really is quite interesting as to what people, love, or hate to eat. I used to think it had to do with what people got used to eating as children. Not necessarily so!

I love liver [:)] ... calves liver with bacon or fried chicken livers with garlic & onion ... my wife & I always ate that & yet our kids hated those dishes from day one till the present. So that's not the answer.

Until 100 years ago, lobster was considered garbage & used as fertilizer. Now it's the most expensive dish in the restaurant. I absolutely love lobster, or just about any shellfish.

Yet, a lobster is as closely related to a tarantula, as is a horse to a camel ... maybe that tarantula tastes just like lobster ... maybe ... but I won't be the one to find out!
[:'(]

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:46 am

Yeah I do..Ill go out a few times a year with the .22 or the shotgun and hunt em. I think its a great tthing to do while scouting as well.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:12 am

Anyone Squirrel hunt?

ORIGINAL: John1961

I got 4 big one's this morning while scouting and just getting out and back into the woods. Gonna fire up the grill tonight. 

BTW: I have a tip for any of you squirrel hunters who find those tree rats a bit too fast to shoot at. My solution to slowing them down ... see photo.

bones1918

Postby bones1918 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:02 am

I have three raptors at work, a red-tail, a harris's hawk and an exotic owl from europe. I can't squirrel hunt enough to feed the hawks. I have some bludgeon tips for my arrows and I shoot them in the backyard if they are dumb enough to go to the bird feeder. The hawks are a little headstrong and often won't perform for mice, but you can get those things to do backflips and dance a jig for a little squirrel meat.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:31 am

ORIGINAL: bones1918

I have three raptors at work, a red-tail, a harris's hawk and an exotic owl from europe. I can't squirrel hunt enough to feed the hawks. I have some bludgeon tips for my arrows and I shoot them in the backyard if they are dumb enough to go to the bird feeder. The hawks are a little headstrong and often won't perform for mice, but you can get those things to do backflips and dance a jig for a little squirrel meat.

I have a three yr old female red tail who is an absolute squirrel assassin and a young male Harris who I really don't want chasing them. I hope to put him on rabbits and feather. The red tail has gotten to the point where once the squrrel is dead, she has little interest in taking it apart and will often step off in anticipation of the trade.

Challenger

Postby Challenger » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:41 pm

ORIGINAL: John1961

I got 4 big one's this morning while scouting and just getting out and back into the woods. Gonna fire up the grill tonight. 

Don't eat them, but you can't have anymore fun than a day of plinking tree rats with a .22 saddle gun. It's better than going to the range, & sharpens your shooting eye & timing. When the acorns start falling, they just come out of the woodwork. [:)]
There are none so blind as those who will not see. Jonathan Swift, 1738

NRA Life Member

Previous

Return to Off Topic