Anyone Squirrel hunt?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Patriot

RE: Anyone Squirrel hunt?

Postby Patriot » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:33 am

I've never squirrel hunted before.  I debated shooting one with my bow last year as he sat 3 feet away from my ground blind.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

SwampFox

Postby SwampFox » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:55 am

Ok, you've all talked me into it.  Think I might have to break out the old .22 this year.  I'm still not into the idea of eating them but I know a few guys that would be glad to have them.  I might go into this new managment area I'm planning on turkey hunting this spring and combine turkey scouting with squirrel hunting.

BerkHunter

Postby BerkHunter » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:49 am

Never been.  But my uncle gave me a remington speedmaster last year so i am gonna try and get out this year with a couple of buddies.  Sounds like it could be a blast!

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:03 pm

ORIGINAL: John1961

I got 4 big one's this morning while scouting and just getting out and back into the woods. Gonna fire up the grill tonight. 

Oh yeah ... love shooting those furry little rats. I know some people (not me) shoot those little boogers from their bedroom widows. Those people usually use .22 "CB" shorts. In a rifle (not a handgun) they're as quite as a balloon popping.

BTW: Many folks don't know that the "CB" stands for "Cellar/Basement" ... as that was their intended use ... very short range. As such, there isn't much more propellant than the primer ... that's why they're so quite; and safe ... but they do the job.

A little note for you youngsters just starting your 1st big squirrel hunt ... 98% of the time, squirrels travel in pairs, although they may at times be 50' apart. So when you shoot one, stay still and be quiet ... the other one will be along shortly.

Besides honing your shooting skills, another reason to cull those little rats is if you have deer in the area ... the more acorns left for the deer ... the more deer you'll have visiting you.

Gonna fire up the grill tonight

Tell me "that" was a joke! [:'(]

John1961

Postby John1961 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:20 am

Nope grilled two the same evening. 
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:49 am

Luv hunting them ...but won't until after deer season....or after tags are filled....I have some in the freezer I got in Feb.......I dried a couple of tails to place on decoys ..for movement.....they are a great way to hone your shooting skills....I do carry a "squirrel arrow" Just incase I have one pesky booger that won't shut up[;)]

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:48 am

I do carry a "squirrel arrow" Just incase I have one pesky booger that won't shut up

Yes ... isn't it amazing how you can be out at your stand & one of them starts yapping up a storm?

I'm not sure whether it means they're calling a mate, or giving a warning signal.

Nope grilled two the same evening.

BTW: John1961 It's true I don't appreciate your taste in rodents, however, that may seem a little crazy inasmuch as I eat rabbit ... and ... my kids are absolutely horrified when they see me eat frogs legs! Go figure.[:D]

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:07 am

I have a dozen on my property.
They are eating my banana leaves before they mature.

I despise them and wish I could hunt them
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

CountryBoy55

Postby CountryBoy55 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:16 am

When I lived in Louisiana I would hunt the red squirrels all the time.  Here in RI, all I have seen are grays.  I have been out a few times but nothing obsessive.  The thought of a few hind quarters on the grill is getting me hungry.
Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you." -- Max Lucado

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:10 am

ORIGINAL: Sailfish

I have a dozen on my property.
They are eating my banana leaves before they mature.

I despise them and wish I could hunt them

Why not?

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic