Anyone Squirrel hunt?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
epapineau

RE: Anyone Squirrel hunt?

Postby epapineau » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:25 am

ORIGINAL: hunt4fun

Does anyone know if you can shoot black squirrels?  We have quite a few of them but we don't shoot them because we're not sure if it is legal.

As far as I know they are fair game. I think they are a hybrid between fox and grays. Don't quote me though. Anyways, we first started seeing black squirrels about five years ago. since we didn't have many, we didn't want to shoot them. Mistake! they multiply like rabbits! Now we can't find hardly any gray squirrels.

2tonyb

Postby 2tonyb » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:25 am

I hunt them with a .32 cal muzzleloader.  A whole lot of fun.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:42 am

Does anyone know if you can shoot black squirrels?  We have quite a few of them but we don't shoot them because we're not sure if it is legal.

As you may have noted from some of my other posts, I equate squirrels with rats and as such will wipe out the little vermin whenever and wherever possible. First, the little varmints will give away your position at a stand just as that primo buck is nearing. [:@]

Secondly, deer love acorns. Squirrels, for every acorn they eat, they bury 20 ... no acorns, no deer ... sort of.

I don't know about Wisconsin, but in NY you can hunt black, fox, & gray squirrel 6 mos a year starting September 1st. Red's can be hunted all year long. Some people (not me) will cull these varmints all year long ... gray, black, fox, red, purple or whatever color they come up with. [:@]

Chow down Hunt4Fun. [:)]

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:26 am

ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

As you may have noted from some of my other posts, I equate squirrels with rats and as such will wipe out the little vermin whenever and wherever possible.

I agree on the varmin.
Bushy-tailed tree rats
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:46 am

ORIGINAL: epapineau

As far as I know they are fair game. I think they are a hybrid between fox and grays. Don't quote me though. Anyways, we first started seeing black squirrels about five years ago. since we didn't have many, we didn't want to shoot them. Mistake! they multiply like rabbits! Now we can't find hardly any gray squirrels.

Actually they are a melanistic or dark phase of the grey squirrel. Same species, different color.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:54 am

ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

As you may have noted from some of my other posts, I equate squirrels with rats and as such will wipe out the little vermin whenever and wherever possible. First, the little varmints will give away your position at a stand just as that primo buck is nearing. [:@]

Secondly, deer love acorns. Squirrels, for every acorn they eat, they bury 20 ... no acorns, no deer ... sort of.

I don't know about Wisconsin, but in NY you can hunt black, fox, & gray squirrel 6 mos a year starting September 1st. Red's can be hunted all year long. Some people (not me) will cull these varmints all year long ... gray, black, fox, red, purple or whatever color they come up with. [:@]

Chow down Hunt4Fun. [:)]

I can't agree with you on the position giveaway. I believe we all make a bigger deal out of that then it actually is. Squirrels are highly active, social and often aggressive animals. They will just as soon yell at each other as at a perceived threat. Deer pay attention to other species no doubt, but if they altered their schedule every time a squirrel yelled, they'd never survive.

They are a very interesting (and tasty) animal that we practically owe the colonization of North America to.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:12 am

They are a very interesting (and tasty) animal that we practically owe the colonization of North America to.

HUH?

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:01 am

I go whenever I get the opportunity.   I have some land nearby that I do not deer hunt so I'm not too worried about spooking any deer when I squirrel hunt.  

What is your chosen method for removing the hide and guttting?   I've seen several methods and have yet to settle on one that works the best everytime.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:09 pm

ORIGINAL: vipertech

What is your chosen method for removing the hide and guttting?   I've seen several methods and have yet to settle on one that works the best everytime.

Well ... your post said it was in reply to me ... but I'm not sure you are actually posing the question to me ... if not, stop me. I don't eat tree rat[:'(] ... sorry, I mean squirrel ... but I do eat those wascally wabbits[:)] & have a market for their skins ... so I can tell you how I skin & clean wabbit, if that's any help to you.

For tools, I use a sharp boning knife, a dull one & a round table spoon with a sharpened edge. If you just want the skin, you don't need any tools besides your fingers.

Wabbit skin tears easily (not sure about squirrel) so all you have to do is grab the hind leg (1/2 way up) with both hands & twist ... tear both leg skins up to the tail ... grab hold & slowly tear back towards the head & with a little practice the skin will come off in one piece, ears & all.

Use the sharp knife to cut around the anus, trying not to penetrate more than 1/4" to 1/2". Flip it over & use your slightly dullish knife to penetrate at the bottom of the sternum, lifting slightly as you cut back to the anus. Flip it over & give it a good shake ... then use your sharp edge tablespoon to scrape out whatever is left over. I wash & salt immediately.

Now, I'll be terribly embarrassed [:(] if you didn't want this information ... on the other hand, if you want more detail just send me a "PM"

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:22 pm

mightyfofaad, my question was geared to everyone in general.  But I definitely appreciate any tips of this nature.  So your post was quite beneficial.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic