The 10 Manliest Firearms.........

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Woods Walker

The 10 Manliest Firearms.........

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:44 pm

This link is from a website called ARTHUR'S HALL OF VIKING MANLINESS, and it's a great semi-satirical read.

http://www.arthurshall.com/x_2007_manly_firearms.shtml
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DeanoZ

RE: The 10 Manliest Firearms.........

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:51 am

Thats great stuff WW!

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:08 am

Great article, thanks for posting! I've just updated my wish list!

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:46 pm

I own a bunch of them, and shot nearly all of them at one time or another.  But sheesh!  These are NOT the manliest firearms out there.  Some are. Some come pretty close, but. . .

The carping about the M44 is hogwash.  I built one for #3 son as a yute rifle.  Try ANYTHING in 458 Win Mag, or .416 Rigby and talk to me about manly.

A Marlin lever guide gun in 45-70?  That is manly.  So is the 30-30, but if you really want manly send one in 35 Rem to Nonneman and have him drill it out to 356 WIN for you.  THAT is manly.

The M1 Garand? That is manly.  KYHillChick occasionally asks to touch my 1942 Springfield. Sometimes I let her.

The Ruger Super Blackhawk is manly.  My wife refuses to touch it.  I've seen grown men refuse to touch it.  Loaded with H110 and some 240 Grain jacketed, it is a man's revolver.  The S&W Model 29 is a great pistol, but it's for wannabees.

The Remington 760, the Amish Machine gun.  In 30-06 it is quite manly.  Drill it out to 35 Whelen and use 250 grainers on wild hog.  That is manly.

The Stoeger 12GA SXS coach gun-- this is manly. 

Every man, before he dies needs to shoot a Thompson machine gun on full auto. This is manly.

The Remington 870 is manly, but the Winchester 1897 was more manly.  With the 1897 you had an exposed hammer and an exposed bolt and if the load is too strong, the bolt flies back and buries itself in your brain by way of your eye. Buy one of those cheap Chi-com nockoffs or a pre-wwI original and a case of high brass loads and go dove hunting. Then come talk to me about manly.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:03 pm

LOL! Good response, shaman!

Try part 2 then..........

http://www.arthurshall.com/x_2008_manly_guns_2.shtml
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:52 am

Actually, I like this part of the list a lot better.  The Martini Henry came to mind, but I have to admit I have never shot one.  There is something very manly about standing shoulder to shoulder in the hot sun giving volley fire to the wogs, while Color Sargent Bourne steadies me with his gentle admonitions.

The M1919 is definitely manly.  However, there's also the BAR, the water-cooled Browning , and the Ma-Deuce.  I believe any weapon that occasionally needs you to pee on the barrel to keep it from overheating is a very masculine sort of package.  Let's face it:  full-auto is manly.  Belt fed is manly. Crew served is manly.  The BAR?  Manly.

The 1895 Nagant?  Turkish Mausers? Come on! Somebody has been overusing their C&R license if you ask me.

Mausers are manly, but if you get to arguing Mausers, just about every bolt gun today owes its lineage to the Mauser.  I would exclude the Swedish Mausers-- great rifles, but not very manly. The K98 is especially manly if you figure that some of my relatives were trying to use them against guys armed with M1 Garands.

The FAL is manly.  I'm a big guy (think John Wayne gone to seed).  Firing one of these puppies full-auto offhand rocked me back like I was a stripling. 

On the other hand,  the .600 Overkill is not manly.  Insane?  Yes.  You can bag the largest of game with a lot less.  375 H&H?  Manly.  .416 Rigby?  Manly.  The .600 Overkill is in the same insane range as the 4 GA punt gun, and the German anti-tank rifle. I like my collar bone in one piece, thank you.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:44 am

So, how many of these do you have to own to be considered manly?

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:35 am

I have heard that "He who dies with the most toys wins."

However, I would suggest to you that owning any of these does not make you manly.  Wanting them does not.  Nor does shooting them.

Seriously needing one, having it and using it in a just cause probably will.  The fellows I've known that fall into this category were generally the better examples of men I have met.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:04 am

Flamethrowers are manly! Just not very practical for hunting. Wait a minute! [:D] Errr, maybe I'm onto something here, hunt and cook at the same time. The ultimate in manly activities huntin' and a grillin' combined.

.577 T-Rex defintiely manly and slightly "you gotta be crazy" to even want to shoot one. Google it and you will laugh at the poor souls who got talked into shooting this monster.

and then pretty much everything Shaman said...

5nort!
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

passin through

Postby passin through » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:05 am

I wondered if any one was going to bring up the T-Rex!    I didn't see the peacemaker colt mentioned ???  What was the old saying...."God created man but Sam Colt made them equal"  And to Mention a friggin' Glock on the same page as a 1911 is like sacrilege!  Gotta give credit though for mentioning the old Webley......dirt nap indeed!
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

Next

Return to Off Topic