Ordered some snake boots tonight

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
gatodoc

Ordered some snake boots tonight

Postby gatodoc » Wed May 23, 2012 10:56 pm

Today I went out to the lease I signed up with this spring to drive around and get familiar. As I turned off the gravel road onto a fire break, I came across a 4 foot snake stretched out in the tire path. It wasn't interested in moving from it's sunny spot so i stopped the car and got out to shoo it. As I walked up to it, I noticed it had a string of rattles on the tip of it's tail. It wasn't as thick as I thought it'd be and it's head, while triangular at close range wasn't all that big and it was longer than I expected.

I retreated to the car, it didn't move, and I attempted to break the law with my glock 40cal. I missed (barely) and it decided to give up the roadway. I ordered some snake boots to replace my tennis shoes :|

MoDeer

Re: Ordered some snake boots tonight

Postby MoDeer » Fri May 25, 2012 10:51 am

I'd say that the snake boots are a good idea but a little more practice with that Glock wouldn't hurt either :D
Johnny

If I cant make a good shot please let me have a clean miss

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Fri May 25, 2012 12:15 pm

MoDeer wrote:I'd say that the snake boots are a good idea but a little more practice with that Glock wouldn't hurt either :D

Actually, I do need more practice, but a rattlesnakes head isn't as big as one would think, especially when viewed 45 degrees from the side. When it crawled toward me, I elected to go "center mass" but the darn thing was serpentining. I think I grazed it's midsection as it came toward me and that's when it turned and gave up the road.

I've been practicing with a slingshot quite a bit and would have tried that if I'd had it with me. Those gold dot hollow point 40 cals are kinda expensive. Next trip out, will have the slingshot too....:)

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri May 25, 2012 3:09 pm

gatodoc wrote:
MoDeer wrote:I'd say that the snake boots are a good idea but a little more practice with that Glock wouldn't hurt either :D

Actually, I do need more practice, but a rattlesnakes head isn't as big as one would think, especially when viewed 45 degrees from the side. When it crawled toward me, I elected to go "center mass" but the darn thing was serpentining. I think I grazed it's midsection as it came toward me and that's when it turned and gave up the road.

I've been practicing with a slingshot quite a bit and would have tried that if I'd had it with me. Those gold dot hollow point 40 cals are kinda expensive. Next trip out, will have the slingshot too....:)

Gatodoc, I have an uncle who purchased a new .45 simi-auto pistol of which he was extremely proud, though he could not hit ANYTHING with it. Until the day a rattler popped up between his feet, and he jumped, drew, fired 5 shots between his feet like a rocket going off, and cut the head off that snake before his feet struck ground. :lol: I haven't seen him fire it sense then, but I guess snakes IMPROVE your aim! I am glad you have taken my challenge to heart as well. I also have to ask, if the snake refused to move out of the road, then why not just drive over it? It would surely have been safer. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Fri May 25, 2012 8:22 pm

kellory wrote:
gatodoc wrote:

Ya know what. I considered seriously driving over it, and probably should have done so, but the testosterone kicked in and the thought of a snake skin band for my hat had me giddy and stupid. actually thought I could shoot it in the head and came within a half inch twice before it slithered toward me and I reaimed for the midsection. Paper targets standing still are a darn site easier to hit. Carrying 16 ga and birdshot in car along with slingshot next time I scout out there. Wearing my new snake boots too....:)

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri May 25, 2012 10:22 pm

You might want to carry a couple of slugs as well, in case that snake has a friend who sleeps through the winter. A 12ga. is an excellent self defense weapon with the right ammo for the job. ;) A 16ga. ain't bad either.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Sat May 26, 2012 10:57 pm

kellory wrote:You might want to carry a couple of slugs as well, in case that snake has a friend who sleeps through the winter. A 12ga. is an excellent self defense weapon with the right ammo for the job. ;) A 16ga. ain't bad either.

Kellory,

The reason I'd take the 16 is that I've got a bunch of 7 1/2 shot field load that I never shoot....Got some rifle slugs too but they're 45 yrs old...All I've currently got for my 12 is #4 steel shot...

I think I'll get some rat shot for my 38 and carry it. Should be a fun snake load and easy carry. I'm also gonna carry the darned slingshot and keep practicing with it....Fun weapon and cheap...

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun May 27, 2012 4:19 pm

Sound reasoning. Practice and enjoy the slingshot. Remember to change the bands when you see them starting to crack/ striate where they meet the yoke. (rubbing alcohol works very well for lubing the new bands to slide on, then evaporates.)

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue May 29, 2012 11:18 am

I wear gaiters often. Probably not as much as I should.

I recall one time scouting......moving through the woods, always aware of my next step and then.... sure enough I almost stepped on' an 8' snake fully laid out sunning.
How in the heck do you miss that???
It was a coachwhip, but not ever seeing a snake that large in the wild my first thought (he was the least bit phased by my presence) was some exotic released in the wild. Cobra, bushmaster I had no clue.
Good idea on the boots
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Return to Off Topic