Can woodchucks climb fencing?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Ohio farms

Can woodchucks climb fencing?

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:29 am

My neighbors have seen woodchucks climbing their garden fences. I questions that at the time, but last night one climbed my 5 foot fence into the garden and chewed up the side boards trying to escape. Dug up the cukes and knocked down the beans. It looks like he ended up climbing up a tomato cage to get out. Made a huge mess.
The war has begun.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Wanderer

Re: Can woodchucks climb fencing?

Postby Wanderer » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:53 am

We had one in the barn. He was in the horse stall and I thought we could dispatch him with a pitchfork. The damn thing climbed over the wooden fence dividing the stall from the hay storage area and escaped out of the barn. Say Hello to a number three conibear you little troublemaker.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:44 pm

I've seen them crawl up small tree's especially the ones coming out of Sink Holes and lean a little....kill them all! :x

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:24 pm

Hey Ohio, it would be good practice with your bow.
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:14 am

This woodchuck is not at the farm, he is at my home in Mentor. The city and my neighbors would not like gunplay. I'll have to catch them in a live trap then go for a ride out to the farm. It will not be catch and release, I assure you.
To quote Bugs Bunny..."Of course you know, this means war"

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:43 am

They just got through wiping out most of the Hemp in the new plots....the dog and I rounded a corner and caught one running out of the plot...I gave the kill command and she tore out...that darn thing climber a 30ft maple tree!!...but the one in the lower field didn't...one less chuck...but the damage is done....they left the beans ate the hemp and sunflowers and hit the garden peas...Mr. B's favorites..not happy...lol
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:47 am

Well wha'd you expect when you planted hemp? They had the MUNCHIES! ;)
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:39 am

Lol...you know I actually had to call the local drug enforcement guys and let them know who I am where I am and that I was planting a couple of fields of hemp....just in case any one called and told them some crazy lady was in the store looking for inoculant for hemp seed...

I first asked the Sargent if he hunted and he said yes...He thanked me for the heads up and asked exactly where the fields were...that if I had a problem a simple field test would clear it up... I said great as long as my fields aren't raided and destroyed I'm not hiding anything....but... The hemp isn't my worry it's the Kanaf that will catch attention....hemp looks like goldenrod...the Kanaf looks like marijuana...and having marijuana looking leafs poking out of the hemp stalks here and there could be a problem...lol
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:20 pm

We had a chuck that used to climb my peach tree and pick peaches for himself, drop them down, then climb down and eat them.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:31 am

I know woodchucks were in my garden, but I think deer have joined them. The fence is only 5 ft., but has kept deer out because (I've always surmised) the garden is only 8 ft wide. At least it has for the last 4 years.
Check out the picture...looks like deer to me. What do you think? I can't see any deer prints on the ground, mostly because the soil is so dry and the soil is covered with black covering.
Attachments
DSCN0103 deer eating.jpg
DSCN0103 deer eating.jpg (95.47 KiB) Viewed 891 times

Next

Return to Off Topic