"LEAVE YOUR DEAD DEER..."

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Woods Walker

"LEAVE YOUR DEAD DEER..."

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:17 am

The following article sums up for me reasons # 1 through 10 why I don't hunt suburbs......I don't know that I'd have the self control that this poor bowhunter did......[:@]

[/align]
Couple to hunter: 'Leave without your dead deer'
By Noelle Frampton
STAFF WRITER
[/align]Posted: 10/18/2009 10:47:56 PM EDT
[/align]Updated: 10/19/2009 07:17:45 AM EDT
[/align]

[/align]

var requestedWidth = 0;

[/align]
if(requestedWidth > 0){
document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px";
document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px";
}

REDDING -- There is a dead deer lying about 40 yards beyond Lynn Gorfinkle's back deck.
It has been there, with a fatal arrow wound in its side, since Oct. 2. And it will remain there indefinitely, she said.
The carcass of the young spike buck could have gone home with the hunter, who shot it on nearby property and tracked it to the Gorfinkles' 3.5 acres on Fire Hill Road, but Mike and Lynn Gorfinkle were having none of that.
"If someone's going to eat that deer, I want it to be natural predators," she said. "Not some hunter."
The hunter knocked on the door and asked permission to remove the deer from the property, where it had finally collapsed, she said.
"My husband told him to just go away, he couldn't have the deer," she said. "We don't think he should benefit from his lack of judgment ... shooting that close to a suburban backyard. I will never go out there so casually again. It impairs the enjoyment of your own property when you feel you have to look over your shoulder or wear fluorescent orange or something. We wouldn't even have known he was hunting back there unless he'd come to the door."
The Gorfinkles believe the whitetailed deer came from a 270-acre tract of land off the Simpaug Turnpike, where they've heard shooting before. They have denied other hunters access to that property via their driveway -- they don't like the idea of hunters in proximity.
They expressed concerns about hunting to the town's first selectman,

[hr]

Advertisement
[/align]

yld_mgr.place_ad_here("adPosBox");

[/align]var flashAd_config = {ad_config: {ad_type: 'apt_ad',target: '_blank',div: "ad_76918551",flashver: '9',swf: 'http://ads.yldmgrimg.net/apex/mediastore/4bb5b165-845a-4afd-83fe-a1fbe439d258',altURL: 'http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=163namrve/M=600325941.600334002.403831204.403488316/D=nchome/S=2022775704:LREC/Y=PARTNER_US/L=9370e2ae-bceb-11de-9aef-c7609d5b9256/B=mls6AkwNjZU-/J=1255983084478317/K=Gp1jJrLXTKBVTIrBy5kQ1A/EXP=1255990284/A=1734441814684596006/R=0/X=2/id=altimg/SIG=10tc266f2/*http://sophiascostumes.com/',altimg: 'http://ads.yldmgrimg.net/apex/mediastore/846c294c-9bc7-4fd7-bcd8-4061ca1c0176',width: 300,height: 250,flash_vars: ['clickTag', 'http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=163namrve/M=600325941.600334002.403831204.403488316/D=nchome/S=2022775704:LREC/Y=PARTNER_US/L=9370e2ae-bceb-11de-9aef-c7609d5b9256/B=mls6AkwNjZU-/J=1255983084478317/K=Gp1jJrLXTKBVTIrBy5kQ1A/EXP=1255990284/A=1734441814684596006/R=1/X=2/id=flash/SIG=10tc266f2/*http://sophiascostumes.com/']}};

[/align][hr]

[/align]and are looking into whether the property is, as they've been told, state-owned and whether hunting is allowed there.

A former Fairfield resident, Lynn Gorfinkle has been a regular attendee at meetings of Fairfield's Deer Management Committee. She and others have been critical of the group's study of how to control the town's deer population, which they feel is biased in favor of hunting.
The Fairfield report is scheduled to be released and voted on by the committee by the end of the month.
As a crow flies, the Gorfinkles now live slightly more than a mile from the 460-acre Bennett's Pond State Park, where fall archery hunting is allowed by the state Department of Environmental Protection for those with valid licenses and permits.
The state's archery season runs from Sept. 15 through Jan. 31 on most lands where hunting is permitted. On certain private properties, it is allowed year-round. Unlike firearm hunters, bow hunters aren't required to stay a specific distance away from dwellings because arrows don't travel as far as bullets.
Firearm hunting accidents involving human injuries are rare and bow-hunting accidents even rarer, said Dennis Schain, DEP spokesman. "I've been here four years and have never heard of such a thing," he said.
According to the DEP, a total of 1,747 deer kills had been reported as of Thursday by archery hunters in the state, 1,433 of them on private land and 314 on state land.
Gorfinkle, the CEO of Animal Rights Alliance in Redding, said she snapped photographs of the deer where it fell as it died, then flipped it over and took more to document the cause of death: a lethal lung puncture.
"It was a crime scene, in my opinion, the minute that it was shot," she said.
The interaction between the Gorfinkles and the hunter is just one of many recent collisions between the interests of hunting-proponents and animal-rights activists in Fairfield County.
Many area communities, and the DEP, have been promoting hunting in recent years as a way to control a burgeoning deer population.
The license and permit fees paid by hunters -- $28 per firearm hunting permit and $60 per archery permit -- plus an excise tax on hunting equipment, fund the research, management and habitat improvement projects that the DEP largely credits for the recoveries of many animal species.
Nearly five years ago, Greenwich hired sharpshooters to cull its deer herds, and last month, Stamford's Bartlett Arboretum & Gardens announced that it would hold a controlled hunt to reduce the deer population after native shrubbery and other plants were decimated by deer for years, which also caused a decline in bird species.
Early this year, Stamford ended a deer hunt on city property a day early because of complaints, and even death threats, from animal-rights activists, a city official said.
The DEP reports that the state's deer population has been rising for the past 50 years, and Fairfield County boasts the highest deer-density in the state at an average estimated 62 deer per square mile, with pockets of up to 100. This overabundance leads to more Lyme disease, collisions with motor vehicles and overbrowsing of native plants, according to the Fairfield County Municipal Deer Management Alliance, a consortium of 18 towns and cities.
Howard Kilpatrick, a wildlife biologist who studies deer populations for the DEP, told the Stamford Advocate last month that deer numbers in Fairfield County have grown unchecked because most of the land is closed to hunting, but more and more residents are allowing hunters on private land.
Not the Gorfinkles.
Lynn Gorfinkle and other animal-rights activists argue that killing deer is not the answer, and municipalities should instead allow nature to take its course to control deer. Hunting shows a lack of respect for conscious life, they say, arguing it won't end Lyme disease or motor vehicle collisions, but instead actually prompt more breeding and faster-growing deer populations.
She had a message for this month's hapless hunter and any others who may shoot a deer that runs onto her property: They won't be retrieving their game there, ever. "So it's in his best interest to keep his shots away from my land."
Landowners have the right to refuse access to pick up game, Schain said, "but in doing so that is now that landowner's responsibility to take care of that deer. If they want to have it removed they have to do it at their own expense."
Gorfinkle told her story about the deer that died on her land to people at last Monday night's meeting of the Fairfield Deer Management Committee.
Fairfield resident Nancy Rice, outreach coordinator of the nonprofit Friends of Animals, listened sympathetically.
Rice wondered, what will Gorfinkle do with the deer?
Gorfinkle said she is uncertain. She may just wait for other animals to feast on the carcass, or she may cover it with dirt. Underground burial, she said, is out of the question because the animal would require too large a hole. 

[/align]

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

bobow

RE: "LEAVE YOUR DEAD DEER..."

Postby bobow » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:41 am

What a *%#@! IDIOT!

Just shoot her and put her out of our misery....
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:36 pm

I hope they get a nice warm spell so they can continue to enjoy their dead deer for a long time.  What a waste.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:38 pm

I feel very badly for that poor guy.
That's just a cruel heartless thing to do. The hunter was just trying to retrieve what was rightfully his.
That poor deer died for nothing.
Very, very sad.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:42 am

This is just another way for a community to reduce a deer population.  Would they rather have that deer jump out in front of their car and hit it, causing damage to their vehicle and possible more harm to themselves and anybody else nearby?  I understand their point about being careful about where you hunt and shoot in the suburbs, but I'm sure this is layed out in a pre-hunt meeting about where you can hunt, regulations, etc.  If he was really close to the house, a place where he wasn't supposed to be, then it's the hunter's fault obviously.  Use better judgement....BUT, deer don't always fall at your feet when you shoot them, and can run a ways.  Not all shots put them down right away...Just something the community has to look at and put into consideration when having these hunts.  It's either that, or the alternative....Car crashes, over-browsing gardens, etc....
QDM!

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:09 am

Wow, I would have been mad, but I am ever impish and would have told the Lady with as much of an ernest smile as I could muster "Thanks, you keep that one. I'll go wack another. You sure must hate them deer to keep me out here killing them"! Then left with a friendly wave and left her standing smug to chew on that for a while.

Inside it would have killed me to leave it. I hate seeing a deer go to waste on the side of the road after being hit by dumb@*$# people like her who were too busy blabbing on there cell phone to pay attention to the environment.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:00 am

The truth of the matter is residents such as Ms. Gorfinkle are the cause and effect of their current situation.  Our community is similar to that of Fairfield's.  Long ago it was part of the Watchung Mtn Range boasting hundreds of thousands of acres of timber, inhabited by the Lenape Indians and various species of North American wildlife, to include deer.  In the years that have since passed both the Lenape Indians, its Timber, and inhabitants have since been displaced, by suburban sprawl...and not just the normal sprawl but the 5000-10,000 sqft mansions with paver driveways, gated entrances, marble fountains and swimming pools.  Each of them requiring variances to occupy every conceivable square inch of property they own and thus displacing its earlier inhabitants...the deer. I see it now as I drive through my slice of suburbia..deer feeding in the streets they dart across, narrowly missing the front end of their BMW's.  Hypocrisy at its finest!

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:59 pm

The sad thing is, in that community, the misguided leaders will end up paying sharpshooters to do what hunters would willingly do for free. But not until a lot are killed by vehicles.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:46 am

Ironically enough, this would be the same woman that would cry foul when Fluffy her toy poodle, and Puddles her cat are eaten by coyotes or her house is "attacked" by a bear.

I can hear it now

Woman to town council : "You knew there were bears and coyotes running in our town and did NOTHING about it!"

You cannot win with these types of people.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:30 pm

ORIGINAL: Sailfish
Ironically enough, this would be the same woman that would cry foul when Fluffy her toy poodle, and Puddles her cat are eaten by coyotes or her house is "attacked" by a bear.
I can hear it now
Woman to town council : "You knew there were bears and coyotes running in our town and did NOTHING about it!"
You cannot win with these types of people.

You hit the nail on the head Sailfish !
Semper Fi !

Return to Off Topic