Superstitious?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Ifishandhunt

Superstitious?

Postby Ifishandhunt » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:52 am

Does anyone have superstitions when it comes to hunting?

Last night I went up into my treestand to get a couple hours of hunting in after work. As I was sitting there, I heard movement in the leaves and figured it was a squirrel cause it was not very loud and there were squirrels all over the place last night. Well, as I was sitting there a black cat came running by, 20 yards in front of my stand. I am not a superstitious person, but a black cat in the middle of the woods??? The thought crossed my mind that if I was superstitious, it meant trouble in my hunt. About an hour later, not much before dark, a doe snuck up from behind me before I ever heard her coming in. I already had my bow on my lap so all I had to do was stand up but she stopped right at the base of my tree and started eating the leaves from brush and vines that were growing around the base of the tree and around the climbing sticks. I am thinking to myself 'Awesome, I am going home with a big doe tonight'! She was clueless that I was 18 foot directly above her! I could see looking down between my knees and saw she was big mature doe. She was literally under my feet. She looked up a couple times but kept on going about her eating still clueless I was there. I did have scent lock clothes on, sprayed myself with Cover Scent and sprayed doe pee on the bottom of my shoes as I walked into the woods. After a few minutes of her eating, she started moving out from under me but to my right side (I am right handed) which makes for a little more difficult shot, especially from a sitting position. As she moved off about 10 yards I went to move and draw my bow but the MESH part of my Hunter Safety System vest WAS HOOKED TO THE TREE BARK!  I moved again hoping to get unhooked and at the same time draw my bow back further (to keep movement to a minimum) and the vest snapped off the bark that was grabbing it and made a loud noise. Of course the doe jumped and ran about 35 yards still to my right then stopped and continued eating more grass as if it were no big deal. I am guessing she thought the noise was from a squirrel since there was no threat that she ever recognized while under the tree. Unfortunately, the area she was in was too thick and I could not get a clear shot before she finally walked away. Darn that cat!!!!!! [:D]

vipertech

RE: Superstitious?

Postby vipertech » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:10 am

That's a great story!

I can't say that I have any superstitions.  However, I did see "The Blair Witch Project" in the theater when it first came out.  It was about 3 days before the opening day of bow hunting when I saw that flick.  While walking...by myself...all alone....in the dark...to my tree stand, I have to admit that a bit of a fright came over me.  hehe.  I swear the Blair Witch was watching me and was planning on putting me in her big iron kettle for supper.  I was never so happy to see the sunrise!! LOL

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 am

I am not usually a superstitious person but I registered for this forum at 4am Wednesday and shot a nice buck at 7am . I have been wondering should I reregister for this forum before every hunt to keep my mojo going. I dont know

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:02 am

If you think Blair Witch was scary, I went hunting in West Virginia right after I saw Deliverance.

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:54 am

If you think Blair Witch was scary, I went hunting in West Virginia right after I saw Deliverance.

haha! The sound of dueling banjos ringing in your head as you creep to your stand. 

Hey boy, you sho' do have a purdy mouth!

[:D][:D][:D][:D]

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Where you goin, city boy?

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:25 pm

ORIGINAL: Ohio farms

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:44 am

I take it that you all remember the movie.  I still flinch when I hear a pig squeal.

hunts2long

Postby hunts2long » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:55 am

Not really....a few years ago it seemed that whenever someone got a new pair of boots they would end up with a buck that year.....MY new boots came today....hunts2long

hilltop

Postby hilltop » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:18 am

Don,t we all have a lucky HAT or something that we cannot go to the woods without.

Next

Return to Off Topic