Deep Question

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
JPH

RE: Deep Question

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:52 am

ORIGINAL: Nubs

Did you mean to ask "do they have a Spirit"?  Your soul is your mind and emotional realm of your body.  Your spirit is what lives on after you die. 

No, meant to ask about the soul. I would disagree with your assessment of the distinction between spirit and soul. The tradition I belong to holds the belief that the body and the soul will be reunited when the world is reborn, so we see no distinction between the two.

Either way, what I was intending to ask is, "Do you believe that animals have an entity that endures after natural death?" Call it what you will.

I'm enjoying the responses. And don't think that I've got some sort of "zinger" saved up here. I don't. I have some thoughts, but no solid answers.

Nubs

Postby Nubs » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:57 am

One other thing, Revelation does make mention of horses and chariots coming from heaven.  Whether this is symbolic or there are actually horses in heaven I am not sure.

Nubs

Postby Nubs » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:06 am

Matt 27:50 Jesus cried out with a loud voice and yielded up His spirit.

1 Thessalonians 5:23
May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

James 2:26
For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

Not to get all crazy on you or anything but the Bible is very clear that our spirit is what gives us life, and we have three distinct parts that make us who we are. As far as the animals I am not so sure.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:34 am

Nubs,

[color="#ff0000"]CCC 363 [color="#000000"]..."soul" signifies the spiritual principal in man.

[color="#ff0000"]CCC 365[/color] ...it is because of its spiritual soul that the body made of matter, becomes a living human body; spirit and matter, in man are not two natures united, but rather their nature forms a single nature.

[color="#ff0000"]CCC 367 [color="#000000"](In addressing St. Paul's words) ..."Spirit" signifies that from creation man is ordered to a supernatural end and that his soul can be gratuitously raised beyond all it deserves to communion with God.

We could do this all day. I'm not trying to debate anything. We just disagree. You get what I was trying to ask. The question is not intended to be limited to Christians, although that will most certainly influence much of our thinking.
[/color][/color][/color][/color]

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:41 am

My opinion is that animals do not have a soul.  If they did, I would feel pretty weird killing them.

Since we were made to have dominion over the animals, my conscience is good to go.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:44 am

The only soul my deer has is the collard greens I put next to it on my dinner plate.[:D]

All kidding aside, there actually is reference that I am aware of, in a sense ,that talks about animals in heaven (for this example, I'm using it in that context regarding animals having 'souls'.) In Hosea 2:18 talks about the coming of Christ - when all creation is to be brought back to what it originally was suppose to be before the 'fall' of man. My understanding is that at one point animals were to be even with humans. Not true after 'the 'fall' in which some time after, God provided animals as food for humans and subservent to humans. Oh boy... know this is going to spark anger in some. I am not looking for conflict here, just stating what I have learned. We all have our own beliefs and translations.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:56 am

ORIGINAL: Ifishandhunt
Oh boy... know this is going to spark anger in some. I am not looking for conflict here, just stating what I have learned. We all have our own beliefs and translations.

Don't worry Ifishandhunt, I think we can all respect one another. Granted our perspectives on this are diverse and many of us hold issues of faith quite dearly. But this is a question in which most of us agree, there is no clear answer. That is what makes it fun and interesting.

Take the exchange between Nubs and me. He is clearly approaching the question from a strictly Biblical perspective whereas I am coming at it from a Catholic perspective which uses Scripture and Sacred Tradition. Either way, we are both wrestling with the same question, we just use slightly different frames of reference.

I hope nobody feels timid about offering their thoughts about the question and I hope nobody is offended by how we defend those opinions.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:32 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

All this deep thought has got me thinking.......

Does a chicken have lips? And if it did, why would it need them?

Sure they have lips ... it's sort of like a gasket to keep the water from running out of their beak while the're drinking.

[8D]

smitty

Postby smitty » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:15 am

I do think animals go to the "other-side."  At first I was thinking about deer and bears but then I stated to think about our dogs and various other pets.  They are animals to.  The Creator created animals and they got the pretty important job of sustaining us,  I just can't see why they would then be cast away.

That's not to say I would like to eat my dog but I would like to try chicken lips [:D] 
"Freedom Isn't Free"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:38 am

ORIGINAL: Floating Debris

And although they must have them, because I've eaten them dunked in BBQ sauce, I've never found a chicken's fingers

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

All this deep thought has got me thinking.......

Does a chicken have lips? And if it did, why would it need them?

And what about the "nuggets"?  I've butchered a lot of chickens and pheasants in my time, and never yet have I encountered a nugget........or a "stick" from a fish, either.

This is making my brain hurt......[:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic