Deep Question

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
JPH

RE: Deep Question

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:09 am

Here are my thoughts, for what little they are worth.

I am convinced of two things. Humans have a soul and that soul enjoys a special relationship with the Creator. My personal experience and religious education leave no doubt in my mind.

As to animals, I do have some question and I am not aware of any dogmatic teaching that really clears it up. I suspect however, that animals are endowed with a soul. I find myself very attracted to the spirituality of St. Francis of Assisi. He saw God in everything and considered all of Creation to be our brothers and sisters. I have also been very impressed with the religious beliefs of the Native Americans, who saw things very much in the same way. I spent some time this summer in a Lakota community and I was amazed at how closely the traditions they carry on mirror the traditions of my religion.

So yeah, I guess I do think animals have a soul. Rather than making me uncomfortable about hunting, that belief helps me to up my game. I must approach nature in a way that honors God and my brothers and sisters under him.

Nubs

Postby Nubs » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:06 am

^^^Interesting^^^

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:00 am

Hm, great question.  I think they do.  They are living things, but then again where do you draw the line on living things that have a soul?  Do ants have one?  Hm.  Hm.
QDM!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:30 am

Or Roman Polanski's?  Let's hope so, so that when his time comes it'll be roasting nicely until the end of time.........
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:14 am

I wonder if Jack Handy has the answer.  [:D][:D]

Anyways, to be perfectly honest, I still struggle with believing there is an actual figure called God or that there is an after life, etc.  My scientific side tells me absolutely not and that religion in all forms was evolved by man himself as a way to explain existence.  Some aspects seem rather silly when you think about it.  George Carlin....who was quite outspoken against religion....did make a good point once.  He basically said something like:  Religion wants you to believe there is an invisible man looking down and watching everything you do.  And if you break any of these 10 rules, he will cast you into a pit of fire where you will burn in agony for all eternity....but he loves you!  While this was offered in the context of a comedy routine, it does make me step back a little bit and agree that the existence of a God and the religions based on these beliefs are far-fetched idea.

I was talking with an atheist once.  This person brought up a point that is best described as depressing.  We were talking about the possibility of an after life.  He said to me "Do you remember anything before you were born?"  Of course my answer was no.  Then he said, "Well, that's exactly what it will be like when you die."  That comment sorta stopped me in my tracks and made me think pretty hard about things.  He could be right on the money.

Having said all that, I was raised Catholic.  I don't follow it anymore but Catholicism is still ingrained in part of me.  I still will "talk to God" on occasion.  So maybe religion is simply one's own personal moral compass so to speak.  I find that I'm content following my own "religion".  My church is spending 5 to 6 hours out in the woods by myself contemplating all things life. Dare I say my church is way more beautiful than any bricks and mortar church you find on Main street? I would also argue, I'm spending way more time in "church" than the so-called real Catholics who practice religion 52 times a year!

Okay, so I diverted off the original question a little bit.  If forced to say yes or no, I would say no but I hope it is true.  I guess this is where ones faith has to kick in.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:11 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

I am convinced of two things. Humans have a soul and that soul enjoys a special relationship with the Creator. My personal experience and religious education leave no doubt in my mind.

As to animals, I do have some question and I am not aware of any dogmatic teaching that really clears it up. I suspect however, that animals are endowed with a soul. I find myself very attracted to the spirituality of St. Francis of Assisi. He saw God in everything and considered all of Creation to be our brothers and sisters. I have also been very impressed with the religious beliefs of the Native Americans, who saw things very much in the same way. I spent some time this summer in a Lakota community and I was amazed at how closely the traditions they carry on mirror the traditions of my religion.

So yeah, I guess I do think animals have a soul.

Hypothetically speaking, suppose there is no creator?
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:42 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Do animals possess a soul?

I think one has to really clear up in their mind ... just what is a soul?

Does an Oak tree or a Tomato plant have a soul? Of course not.

Does a bee, or a snake or a crocodile have a soul? I don't think so.

But have you ever played with a 3 month old Yellow Lab ... seen the actual joy in his face when he looks at you, the way he's so happy when he sees you after you've been gone a while? The way he cuddles & is only happy when he's as close as possible to you.

I don't know ... you've really got to wonder!

I do know one thing for sure ... there are a lot of so-called humans on this planet that have less of a soul than that snake.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:44 am

ORIGINAL: Sailfish
Hypothetically speaking, suppose there is no creator?

Sorry. My immagination is not that good.

shadow

Postby shadow » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:20 am

Soul... yes. Creator of everything....????

I mean, was Adam and Eve the first humans created or did we all evolve from the sea or an ape?

The universe spans billions and billions of light years, many millions of stars are overhead and they are in fact all suns like we see in our sky. Around many thousands of these suns are planets. I would think we are not alone.
But how was everything created?  Is there one superpower that created everything?  One supercharged molecule like I have heard that somehow formed and exploded and spit out everything we see? Not only in our world and universe but everywhere else?  Also, I don't know this one but how many different gods do humans believe in?

As far as soul and spirit, it may be ingrained into a being, animal or human.
Ants, bee's and other insects just go about their business building shelter and obtaining food. Humans and animals on the other hand have the ability to learn. Animal or human, we are taught after birth by our mothers right from wrong and in the case of animals where to get food and find shelter. Most people are also able to determine what is good and bad. The ones who can not, they may be the ones who are soul less, the people with no regard for human life or death. Or the consequences of their actions.  I don't know. just something to think about. I too find it difficult to wrap my mind around.
I know this for sure... I will be thinking more about all of this tomorow while I am sitting in my blind on what I hope is not an all day hunt, but will prepare for one nontheless.

DoeEyed, I too am sorry for your recent loss.

Previous

Return to Off Topic