My First Hog...And First Blood for the year

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
passin through

My First Hog...And First Blood for the year

Postby passin through » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:53 pm

Sunday night I had an interesting encounter while walking in to check a hog trap.  At the end of the encounter I had my first ever wild hog on the ground.  We conservatively guesstimated him at 300 plus pounds and a couple friends looked at him the next day and both said 400.  My brother and I can both pick up and walk away with 150lb deer if we have to, but, together we could barely budge this boar.  We finally got a 4wheeler hooked to him and life got a lot easier.  After this I will ALWAYS go loaded when walking in to check a trap at dusk and more than likely will take something that shoots more than twice.  As a side note to the scientifically minded:  A 2 3/4 12ga remington rifled slug did not go all the way through this hogs neck when fired at 6 ft...although it did break the neck nicely.  The same type slug did go all the way through at about a foot fired from behind the ear and exiting out the bottom of the jaw.  This is my nephew in the first pic to show a frame of reference...he is 5 and a little over 3 ft tall.....I'm in the next pic and am 6-4 and that is a 28"barrel double 12 laying on his back.

It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

1Morgan

RE: My First Hog...And First Blood for the year

Postby 1Morgan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:25 pm

Congrats, I'm going for hogs this weekend on state lands. I've never hunted em before. I'm looking for a 75-100lb one or two because we have to carry em out.
South Carolina Low Country

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:33 am

Did a hog hunt down in Texas a couple of years ago.  It was a lot of fun, and the eating was pretty good too.  It's a cheap hunt and a good way to break up the winter once deer season is done.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:55 am

HOLY COW! What a monster! Congrads!! We have them around here, someone had a bunch of them in a pen and they all got out and I guess there running wild down here now.. I have yet to see one in the woods, however two of my friends shot one. They are very mean from what I hear. But great job!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

SwampFox

Postby SwampFox » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:44 am

Nice pig.  Was he in the trap when you shot him?

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:47 pm

Nice hog.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:53 am

Thats a fine looking hog...I can see the smoked hams now....[;)]

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:09 pm

ORIGINAL: passin through

Sunday night I had an interesting encounter while walking in to check a hog trap.  At the end of the encounter I had my first ever wild hog on the ground. 

A 2 3/4 12ga remington rifled slug did not go all the way through this hogs neck when fired at 6 ft...although it did break the neck nicely.  The same type slug did go all the way through at about a foot fired from behind the ear and exiting out the bottom of the jaw. 

ORIGINAL: SwampFox

Nice pig. Was he in the trap when you shot him?

What is a hog trap? Do you have photo you can share? [8|]

dewey

Postby dewey » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:17 pm

Congratulations on a awesome hog! What do you guys normally use when you go hog hunting if a 12 ga 2 3/4" shell barely goes through the skin? Rifle? Handgun? I would also love to see what a hog trap looks like. I would love to go and shoot a hog someday. How do wild hogs compare to domestic pigs in taste?

They don't have any in MN (thank GOD!) so hog hunting to me is completely new.

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:58 am

Thats a heckuva pig!

Nice work
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Next

Return to Off Topic