theft of a firearm/owner responsibility

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
meandale

theft of a firearm/owner responsibility

Postby meandale » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:00 pm

Hello everyone. Seeking a little input on this topic. In my local paper there is an article about a criminal breaking into a residence & stealing/leaving with a handgun. I am having a discussion with others about the owner's responsibility or liability.

Can I get a little help here? Dealing with one person who insists the owner should be held responsible if the weapon is used in the commision of a crime after being stolen.

Thanks all!

AlleganBowhunter

RE: theft of a firearm/owner responsibility

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:04 pm

My thoughts are that person is insane.   Like holding the owner of a vehicle liable if someone steals their car and kills/hurts/commits what ever crime with it.

In the real world, I think it would depend on any local laws governing the storage of a firearm.  Then I don't think the victim of the theft would be liable for the crime but possibly other charges or civil torts.  Not much help there I know.

As for dealing with the insane one, good luck.   Kinda like arguing with a PETA member, most have no grasp on reality and live in some odd fantasy world most never understand.   My goal when working with someone like that is to remain calm, civil and use facts.   Be ready for them not to be the same back toward you, especially the facts part.   But at least you did what you could to get them to understand.

Stay safe and Happy Hunting!
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

CB on the run

RE: theft of a firearm/owner responsibility

Postby CB on the run » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:56 am

ORIGINAL: meandale

Dealing with one person who insists the owner should be held responsible if the weapon is used in the commision of a crime after being stolen.

Tell them it's the same as if their car/baseball bat/kitchen knife was stolen and used in a criminal action. An object is an object. Plus the key word is stolen meaning you personally do not possess it any longer so ultimately cannot be held responsible. I believe they are confusing this idea with someone leaving a firearm accessible in a residence were children live.
Objects are incapable of operating on their own. There is no question that firearms can help someone commit homicide but so can an ice pick. It needs human intervention though. If they still disagree, write them off as an extreme liberal and inform them that several European countries are accepting applications for citizenship. They'll probably be much happier as there is more governmental control and they have to think less.

CB

Return to Off Topic