unwanted deer meat

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
dogowner

unwanted deer meat

Postby dogowner » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:38 am

Hi I hope this post is acceptable. I own 2 dogs who get a raw food diet. I used to be against a raw food diet for dogs, but my dog who has a condition called SIBO (small intestinal bacteria overgrowth) he needs to eat raw or he becomes anemic because his body just won't absorb any nutrients from cooked food.

Anyway, I am interested in purchasing meat from hunters that is unwanted. My cousin hunts deer, but he and his hunting friends eat it themselves! My cousin says he takes it to someone who makes deer hamburgers and hotdogs. I don't know if most hunters do this? What do you do with unwanted deer meat?

Well, I am located in northern New Jersey. If anyone has unwanted deer meat/parts I would pay $1/lb or we can discuss a reasonable price! I can use the offal, legs, anything.

Thank you.

cutngut85

RE: unwanted deer meat

Postby cutngut85 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:54 am

Just a heads up that it is illegal in NJ to purchase game meat, unless from a store.

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

ORIGINAL: cutngut85

Just a heads up that it is illegal in NJ to purchase game meat, unless from a store.

It is a huge "No-no" in Iowa and I think it may be a Federal offense.

A few years ago a local meat locker had a lot of deer that was not picked up. He needed to pay off his staff for their time and he was in a bad financial situation. Rather than throw away the meat and fail to make payroll, he sold the venison only for the time his employees had put in. He got caught, lost his license and went out of business. 

I think you would be better off contacting law enforcement and seeing if they would contact you when road kills are reported.

dogowner

Postby dogowner » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:24 pm

Wow I had no idea at all. Thanks for informing me. I wonder why this is illegal. I guess to "protect" the public against potential poisonings?

"I think you would be better off contacting law enforcement and seeing if they would contact you when road kills are reported. "

Thank you that's a great idea!

P.S. Is it illegal to take free meat from hunters?

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:35 pm

ORIGINAL: dogowner

Wow I had no idea at all. Thanks for informing me. I wonder why this is illegal. I guess to "protect" the public against potential poisonings?

"I think you would be better off contacting law enforcement and seeing if they would contact you when road kills are reported. "

Thank you that's a great idea!

P.S. Is it illegal to take free meat from hunters?

It is illegal because of the potential for market hunting and poaching. On the other hand, it is not illegal to accept a gift of venison, provided that all game laws are followed. Some states require the hunter to sign the meat over to you.

This time of year many hunters are looking to clear out the freezer because last year's ground meat or less desirable cuts are about to get freezer burn and this year's deer will be coming in. Ask around.

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:36 pm

I know of people that get regular beef scraps from a butcher house.....might want to give that a try. They asked the butcher for scraps and they get it by the 55 gallon drums now.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Return to Off Topic