Dove Season

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
OHhunter

Dove Season

Postby OHhunter » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:39 am

Any other Dove hunters out there? Season kicked off today.  It's one of my favorate opening mornings, it marks the begining of another fall and another hunting season. 

Headed out solo this morning, went to some public ground that is planted in sunflowers, tried to stay away from the masses but it's pretty much impossible still had a good time and great luck.  Shot the limit in 35 minutes. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

hunt4fun

RE: Dove Season

Postby hunt4fun » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:19 am

I will be going out in a couple hours with a buddy of mine to his grandparents farm.  We never have great luck on doves there, but theres always a good meal waiting for us when we are done and we usually at least go home with a bucket full of tomatoes fresh from the garden.  I had a great spot on public land a few years ago, but the tree that was a magnet for doves (especially if I threw a decoy or two up in it) fell over and the spot isn't very productive anymore.  I'll let ya know how we do.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:20 am

I went back to the same spot this morning, and saw nothing.  If I stayed all day I might have got a few but figured I wait and try a different spot later maybe.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

CountryBoy55

Postby CountryBoy55 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:58 am

Rhode Island opens on Sept 19th with three different segments.  Hope to get out several times over the course of the season.
Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you." -- Max Lucado

SwampFox

Postby SwampFox » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:51 am

I've never been a big bird hunter but my curiosity has gotten the best of me this year. I've been once or twice in past years but didnt have much luck.  I've been shooting skeet and trap for years and I've decided to put it to use on some live birds this year.  Ive heard the public fields get crowded but I really have no other place to go.  is it better to go later in the season when there are less people or have the birds been thinned out to much.  Any advice on dove hunting would be golden. thanks.

Return to Off Topic