Underground Gun Storage

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Woods Walker

Underground Gun Storage

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:24 pm

Does anyone have any input or ideas on underground gun storage? I'm looking for as economical a way as possible. I live on acreage and I just want to prepared should the lunacy in Washington and Springfield actually come to fruition.

And yes....I'm serious.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Re: Underground Gun Storage

Postby JPH » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:53 am

To be honest Woodsy, I think you've got your foil hat on too tight.

First of all, I really do not think the looming gun control laws are going to take that shape. Might you be restricted in what you buy? Yes. You may even be asked to submit documentation for what you own, but nobody is coming to kick your door in. Secondly, if they did, I think the NWO Gestapo that you fear would be smart enough to run a metal detector over your acreage.

That being said, I think it is fun to play along. Most military surplus sites sell a wide range of cache storage supplies http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemList ... genumber=5 Better yet, industrial supply companies can sell waterproof storage drums and not gouge you http://www.mcmaster.com/#storage-drums/=l04wwt

I'd say one of the biggest keys is removing as mush moisture from the storage device as possible. Rice is good for that. Then I suggest breaking down your guns, oiling them heavily and wrapping the parts in plastic or oily rags. I'd seal them tightly and possibly even over-pack them with a second storage container. From there I would look for a remote location with well drained soil to bury them. My guess is that you know of a few places that are not on your homestead and that will not be disturbed by farming or utility work. I'd say that you would want to bury below the frost line and cover with natural vegetation.

Again, I think it is a big waste of time but if I were to do it, that's how I would.

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:36 am

I would make a concrete box in the ground or you can go to your local road repair company and get a covert what size you need and make a bottom and lid for it. I would water proof it also. You can't bet concrete it will be there!

Dina3

Postby Dina3 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:12 am

Storing the weapons underground is good idea. Yo can buy perfect gun case for storage from self storage Manly West.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:30 am

Wrong answer, JPH.(nice to see you back)
Sunken ships rust very slowly. Why? Very low oxygen levels. You like those tear and shake hand warmers? Read the package. Iron filings, moisture, and a catalist. What's missing? Oxygen. No oxygen, no high speed rust to produce heat.
Disassemble your guns for a better fit and dip each metal price in cosmolene (metal perservtive). Cut a price of schedual 40 PVC long enough to fit your needs, and seal a cap on one end. Glue a turn out fitting in the other end with a screw out plug. Wax the threads. Insert your property to be protected from theft. Fill all gaps with bullets to fit protected property. Pick up a small nitrogen tank and purge all oxygen before sealing. For extra protection, insert this tube inside a second larger tube, of the same type. Bury your property......... In a location not discussed on an open forum. I will send you a link for ideas that will defeat metal detectors.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:48 am

Actually Kellory JPH's post was from Jan 12th, so he is still MIA.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Ohio farms wrote:Actually Kellory JPH's post was from Jan 12th, so he is still MIA.

I admit, I missed the date. He went off the deep end, before he left, piticularlly with me, but he had his good points as well, and a good hunter.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:03 am

I second Kellory's method.

I would only add, If you have a vacuum sealer, buy the roll of cut your own bags, cut one long enough for your gun to fit in, and vacuum seal it prior to placing it in your PVC.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:26 pm

Vacuum seal......GREAT idea!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:20 pm

In case your still trying to figure out how your going to do it. Maybe there will be some helpful tips in this... http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/wolfe140.html
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Return to Off Topic