Fishing trips

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Sailfish

Fishing trips

Postby Sailfish » Mon May 20, 2013 8:26 am

Headed out Sunday to a report of 5-10kt, 1'ers.
Braving the elements, we met at dawn and headed out the pass, first stop bait.
Hit the marker, 2 throws and blacked out the well with 3-4" sardines.
One more stop for some runners (hit the cans for the runners, but they were too large for me).
First stop 100' (approx 32 miles) to an old shrimp boat.
Planned on warming up with some AJ and then head for some RG(red grouper).
Hit the wreck, threw a handful of sardines out and the water boiled, the donkeys were home. I threw a sardine on my hook, it hit the water and in short order, it was on ice. (notice the brutal sea conditions we dealt with)
Not me but my buddy Ri

We had triple hook-up in 2 minutes. Fortunately they were all short.
So we did another drift, caught another keeper.
1/2 way to our limit, I said, guys, lets anchor up current off the wreck, play with these a bit, see if we can pull something off the bottom.
Anchored up, got a chum slick going, and we played for a spell to get our limit of AJ. Then, the BIG boys showed up; HUGE HUGE jewfish. The largest I have ever seen in my life. We all saw it and thought it was a juvenile whale shark (not kidding), it came right up near the boat and chased one of our small 32" AJ across the surface. It was an amazing site. Those fish can move.
With a school of AJ off the stern, a limit of AJ, we dropped to the bottom to try our luck (figured the jewfish were where full by now from us feeding them :lol: ) with the denizens at the bottom; but, nothing other than a few jewfish stealing our catch before we had 3 cranks.
However, all the scent and action brought the mango's up from the bottom, schoolin' with the AJ.
We changed our tackle, dropped to 20# flouro, 2/0 hooks and 3" threadfins.
It was like YT'n in the keys but for mango. We were having to yank the threads away from the AJ, kind of comical actually. Something I did notice, snapper, while outsized by AJ, are VERY aggressive towards the AJ. Even if the snapper didn't want to eat the bait, they'd run the larger AJ off it.
Anyways, for the next hour or so we worked the starboard box full, and started on the port. I have NEVER caught a mess of Mango like this. The smallest was 14". The majority were in the 17"-20" range. Man it was good times

We had our limits fairly early, hit some cheese bottom for the RG.......nothing doing. Went to a couple pipeline numbers to try, caught some shorts, and threw back three slob keeper gags(out of season til July 1), wrapped it up and headed home.
Biggest downside was seeing this beauty go up in flames

Looked to be a 45 Hatteras. We were 3rd boat on scene, and it was pouring grey smoke, all souls were safe. We watched for 15 minutes (it was burning at least 15 min before that) and heard the CG verifying directions etc etc.
Last we saw was it started on the thick, black smoke (gel coat prolly).
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

kellory

Re: Fishing trip

Postby kellory » Mon May 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Sounds like a very interesting trip. And a lot of fun. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue May 21, 2013 8:42 am

It was.
Nice to get out and have a good day.
I certainly miss the days when we could run offshore and keep a multitude of different fish.
With all the restrictions these days, were limited to certain species and certain times; they do not overlap :evil:

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon May 19, 2014 12:42 pm

Just go back from the Keys on a guys trip.
Caught/shot a mixed bag of snapper, grouper and Dolphin.
Unfortunately 3 of the 4 days were too windy and significant wave height for us to get offshore for dolphin but once.

my buddy

some dolphin

The good day offshore

Got a new underwater camera
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bo44444 ... r.mp4.html

we did get to spend a lot of time inshore this year spearing and snorkeling and I managed to find some lobster holes doing so.
Looking forward to lobster season now!!

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon May 19, 2014 4:08 pm

Very cool. I hope to make it down there one of these days, but no time soon, I'm afraid. :( that looks like a lot of fun.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

makroftar

Postby makroftar » Wed May 21, 2014 9:37 am

Now that is an awesome day :D

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed May 21, 2014 9:53 am

Too bad some of the pictures were deleted. Sounds like a great day of fishing...and eating, I might add.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu May 22, 2014 1:52 pm

Ohio farms wrote:Too bad some of the pictures were deleted. Sounds like a great day of fishing...and eating, I might add.

Check the dates........that was an old trip , I didn't want to start another thread there are already a few on here, so I figure i'll use just one from now on

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:47 am

My buddy got a new boat 2 weeks ago, he wanted to take his first offshore trip. I said I am in! Always nice to be the passenger once in awhile.

At the dock by 6ish, caught some bait, first stop 110' (approx 30 mile run).

First stop, we did a drift, keeper red grouper, keeper mango snapper, and a keeper yellow tail snapper. Then nothing, a loong time of nothing.
Hit another spot, it was Lane snapper and porgy. Lots of them.
Hit another spot and it was small bee liners, vermillion and such. The day started out so well and now it wasn't.

We hit another spot that had a good show on the bottom machine. Dropped down my chum pipe, hung another bag of chum off the stern..........15 minutes later.........it was on fire.
Mango's, BIG mango snapper. Mango's over 21". We had one mango next to the boat, literally and the leader popped when the guy was trying to sling it up that had to been 24", just a bunch of nice fish here.

We had a thread fin herring and a cigar minnow left, we had something bust dead/dying piece of bait off the stern,so we threw out the cigar minnow............bam!

Brought this 31" tuna to the boat. Had to be solid 24-25# or so.

{not me but the boat owner}

Finally tally was @ 30 fat Mango snapper, scamp grouper, 1 red grouper, some real nice lane snapper, couple yellow tail snapper, porgy, and the tuna.

We split the tally, I think we all ended up with 15# or so of pure filet's. Great day.

Ohio farms

Re: Fishing trips

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:04 pm

Very cool trip. Lots of sushi there Sailfish.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Next

Return to Off Topic