Lazy ir smart?????

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
shadow357x2

Lazy ir smart?????

Postby shadow357x2 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:57 am

Ok, so I have astand that I gave 3 options to shoot out of and we all know you cant hunt it all at one time. I had a brain fart the other week while I was at Harbor Frieght. The driveway sensors that let you know when something crosses the sensor path and beeps and light. I bought 3 of them and took the screws out of the receiver clipped the speaker with which left the light only for the alert. painted the transmitter flat brown and hung them across known trails. Went out and sat this weekend and found out that it was a good idea in my opinion. they worked well and managed to get a decent doe that I would have more than likely not even ween. One of my hunting buddies said it was cheating but the way i look at it all is fair if it works.Now if I can figure out how to get the deer to pull the trigger for me. :o :lol: :lol:
Overkill? Whats that? dead is dead.

rthomas4

Re: Lazy ir smart?????

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:59 am

Damn that's a great idea! Now how about come up with a method that will advise when the deer are congregating on a food plot that I'm not sitting over, instead of the one I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I checked trail cam pics this morning, and I have bucks all over stand locations when I'm at a different spot. Then if I was at the area where they were and I wasn't, the days I'm in those stands, they're where I was when they were here! Did y'all follow that rambling comment? Needless to say, I'm frustrated! I sit in a stand practically every day, only to see pictures showing the deer are where I'm not! Maybe they have some of those sensors that are alerting them as to where I'm located?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:31 pm

Remote controlled predator scent bombs for whichever field or woods you are NOT hunting. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shadow357x2

Postby shadow357x2 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 am

rthomas4 wrote:Damn that's a great idea! Now how about come up with a method that will advise when the deer are congregating on a food plot that I'm not sitting over, instead of the one I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I checked trail cam pics this morning, and I have bucks all over stand locations when I'm at a different spot. Then if I was at the area where they were and I wasn't, the days I'm in those stands, they're where I was when they were here! Did y'all follow that rambling comment? Needless to say, I'm frustrated! I sit in a stand practically every day, only to see pictures showing the deer are where I'm not! Maybe they have some of those sensors that are alerting them as to where I'm located?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

LMAO, been there done that and its frustrating as he&&. Kellory is right on the scent bombs, I have resorted to it in the past to move them out of an area. he great thing about those is that its a slow push and not one like we would do and run them into the next county.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:14 pm

rthomas4 wrote:Damn that's a great idea! Now how about come up with a method that will advise when the deer are congregating on a food plot that I'm not sitting over, instead of the one I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I checked trail cam pics this morning, and I have bucks all over stand locations when I'm at a different spot. Then if I was at the area where they were and I wasn't, the days I'm in those stands, they're where I was when they were here! Did y'all follow that rambling comment? Needless to say, I'm frustrated! I sit in a stand practically every day, only to see pictures showing the deer are where I'm not! Maybe they have some of those sensors that are alerting them as to where I'm located?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

If your checking them cameras more than once a week, and going back and forth between two stands routinely, they don't need sensors, they're patterning you.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:56 pm

Big Horse wrote:

If your checking them cameras more than once a week, and going back and forth between two stands routinely, they don't need sensors, they're patterning you.

You got that right! I've seen that happen MANY times.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:32 pm

I check my cameras about every three weeks, and sometimes even longer. I only have about 78 acres that I still hunt on, so wind plays a major factor in which stands I hunt, although I do hunt practically every day of the season, which is Aug. 15th to Jan. 1st. I have six permanent stands and 7 food plots, so I don't THINK they're patterning me. I do consistently kill at least 5 or 6 deer every season out of those six stands, and one stand in particular averages at least 3 deer per year. Right now, the acorns are falling in the swampy areas I can't access, so I know that is part of the problem. Also, the 60 inches of rain we had in June and July washed away all of my plots, so I had to replant them after the water dried up, which was in September. I'm certain that as those plots come in and the acorns disappear, then I'll have deer show up everywhere no matter which stand I'm in.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shadow357x2

Postby shadow357x2 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:54 pm

Sounds like you got them down like we do in Cope. We have actually toyed with the idea of a few handicap ground blinds close to the swamp here there is plenty of traffic. It takes a little ingenuity (SP?) but it can be done.
As for the cameras , I have taken all but one down now and even with us checking them on a weekly basis they still ignore us. There are farmers all around us and we are always working the land year around so they probably figure "stupid humans" ....
I am at 5 for the year and still have about 4 more old does in my area that I hunt to take out. Seems they arent producing anymore so they gots to go. I personally only need one more for the year and I will be done but a few people have asked for some so I will oblige them.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:39 am

Sounds like you are doing very well. I'm behind the curve for my normal average, but the wind has been playing havoc with my hunting. Also, the dog hunting in the swamps is hindered due to all of the washed out and flooded areas we can't get into. It's making the deer run in different patterns than normal.

Return to Off Topic