Bucks on camera, hunt r not during rut

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
THolsonback

Bucks on camera, hunt r not during rut

Postby THolsonback » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:12 am

If u have say 2-3 shooter bucks on trail camera during the chase phase of the rut, should u hunt that area hard for a period of time r is the chance slim for u to c those bucks again. Maybe they were just passing through??????

rthomas4

Re: Bucks on camera, hunt r not during rut

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:32 pm

It's possible they were just cruising and passing through, but look at it this way, they may have found what they were looking for and stick around. Also, others might also cruise into the same area. You might also have some resident bucks who will be looking to defend their territory and keep the girls to themselves.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:53 pm

Forget the camera. That's entertainment. Now's the time to starthunting where the DOES are. It is them and them alone that will determine which bucks are where. That's all there really is to it. Spend as much time as you can in the woods for the next couple of weeks and watch the does.

Did I mention to watch the does?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:49 am

IMO the rut is overrated. It is the Chase phase that is King! The pre-rut chase is when you will see the most movement. During the actual rut, when does are receptive, bucks hole up with does and are more difficult to get to or even find. It's those couple weeks bucks smell the does coming into season, but the does aren't receptive, that is the magical time of year. It's drive the bucks crazy.

... and if it hasn't been mentioned. Watch the does. :D
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Dinkus

Postby Dinkus » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:09 pm

Listen to Woods Walker and Big Horse. Pre-rut is the time to see and hunt bucks, but just because you have them on camera doesn't mean they will show up in the daytime. I had a big 10 pt, an 8 and two 7's on camera one year. All at night and all at a feeder. When the acorns fell at the start of archery season they all left. I placed a camera on a trail and got the big 10 twice and both times it was at night. It turned off dry for over 3 weeks. The 6 pt buck that I shot was on the only waterhole for a 1/2mile and I didn't have him on film.

Pre-rut is the time for major scouting because things are changing daily. Keep your eyes and mind open and hunt the does.

Return to Off Topic