Ice fishing

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Ohio farms

Re: Ice fishing

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:05 am

Sailfish...My family and some friends rented a cabin for a week up at Lake Houghton in the early 80's. Our first night there a tornado touched down on the other side of the lake. We were fairly intoxicated when it happened and were pretty much oblivious to it all until the next morning when we drove around. We did notice that it was "kind of windy" outside, but I guess ignorance can be bliss. After that we had a great time.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:38 am

Finally went on out ice fishing trip yesterday. We decided to try a smallish lake of about 100 acres that we had fished in the past. We must have cut 20+ holes trying to find structure and fish. To say that the first 4 hours were uneventful would be an exaggeration. In the last hour we did locate fish, mostly bluegills and crappie in 8 ft. of water. Even caught a largemouth about 14 inches (released). The fish were all decent size and we had a good time fishing and telling stories.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:13 am

Sounds like a good trip to me :) :) and a little frosting on the cake also :lol: :lol:
Doug

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:22 pm

We did have a great time. The guy I went with is my long time, diehard hunter/fisherman buddy. He is always wiling to "stay a little longer" or "one more cast" kind of guy. The added quality is that he retired last summer so the two us "retired guys" can play outside most anytime. It helps that our wives are identical in that they both understand and support our addiction to the outdoors. Life is good.
Last edited by Ohio farms on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:25 pm

:D
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:12 pm

Going to try to post a few pics of my last ice fishing trip...
Attachments
Kickapoo Trout.jpg
Kickapoo Trout.jpg (28.79 KiB) Viewed 386 times
Kickapoo Swans.jpg
Kickapoo Swans.jpg (22.6 KiB) Viewed 386 times
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:23 pm

Nice trout Deebz. I know that was fun.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:53 pm

Nice!

Good eating.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:08 pm

This was a ton of fun. I especially love ice fishing because you never really know what you are going to drag up through the hole in the ice. We usually set up with a small jig tipped with a bug (wax worm/bee moth/whateveryoucallem) and kind of bounce it around near the bottom. We catch mainly bluegills and other panfish, but the surprise bass or catfish is always welcome. There's nothing quite like catching 'gills in the 2-8" range all day, then having a 2 lb catfish slurp up your jig... these 12-16" trout were really fun to catch as well!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:04 pm

The only ice I want to see when hunting or fishing is the ice that keeps my water cold in the cooler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On my trip to Florida on MLK weekend, it was actually too cold to suit me. I like hunting and fishing in short sleeves with the ThermaCELL cranking to keep the bugs away. I don't like temps when they drop below the mid-60's, especially since I'm on blood thinners!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic