chasing a boom box....

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
msbadger

chasing a boom box....

Postby msbadger » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:26 am

So last nite ..just as it's getting dark...I get a call....It's my nieghbor down the road ...Is there someone having a party in your field down here?.. What the He!! I'll be right down....hop in the van and off I go...nothing no tracks I can't hear anything so I drive by and turn around and there's the nieghbor and then his family. We talk...I explain that the sound in the hills travels funny and it could be the new ppl on next road over...a half mile away or ppl up hill from me...but I'll park and go check....Dang if I don't get out of van and walk up the trail and it sounds like a RAVE is taking place in the middle of the property!..What? they sneak in from the back side? So now I have to... in the dark walk the paths to the backline...1300ft....all paths lead near food plots and I'm just bumping deer left and right[&o]..best laid plans ..I swore I'd not go on property until Oct 17th
Well I had been right..no one there ..back to van drive around the "block" and it's the camp grounds 3/4 of a mile away....In these hills the wind is never predictable most times the trees look like twigs in a blender swirling and sound is the same...I've actual thought Mr. B was talking to me and we'd laugh it was the ppl 1/4mile away up the hill from us..lol
Well I got to talk to  the nieghbor and get the skinny and give as well on the recent happenings and know we have each others backs...All's good...[;)]

danesdad

RE: chasing a boom box....

Postby danesdad » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:24 am

Acoustics are funny. There is a place I hunt where we park, cross a field, ford a small stream, then climb up a big hill (several hundred yards), then walk parallel to the hillside to the stands. By the time you get in the stand, you are easily a quarter of a mile (or more) from the car. But there is a house across the road from where we park (even further away from the stand) and when the people who live there are on the front porch talking, you can hear the conversation plain as day. I'm sitting in a tree across the valley from their home and I can tell what the guy is going to pick up in town, as long as he says it out loud before he goes.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:07 pm

The first treestand I ever had over to where I hunt you could hear these, lets just say, "not very nice" people fighting and yelling all the time. It amost made you feel akward sitting there listening to everything. On a positive note I never fell asleep while hunting[:)]
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:39 am

One summer evening I could hear a cow mooing.  The strange thing?  I live in town.  I got out and drove around to figure out if there was a cow loose in town.  Turns out the cow was a couple miles out of town.  The sound was echoing just right off my neighbor's house so that it sounded like it was right there  :)

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:57 am

ORIGINAL: fr0sty

One summer evening I could hear a cow mooing.  The strange thing?  I live in town.  I got out and drove around to figure out if there was a cow loose in town.  Turns out the cow was a couple miles out of town.  The sound was echoing just right off my neighbor's house so that it sounded like it was right there  :)

I'll second that on the cow mooing! I swore one day while hunting at our camp in Alabama a cow was going to step out into the food plot I was hunting over. I found out later that cow was over a mile away but damn if it didn't sound like it was right there. Must be the low pitch of a moo that travels so well.

Then there's coyotes in the dead of the morning as your walking to your stand, you swear they're right in front of you. It's those times I'm glad I'm carrying a 30-30 with 6 rounds at the ready!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:25 am

OOhhh those dark quiet walks to the stand and all of a sudden....the scream of a bobcat ...or the screams of a couple of fighting raccoons...just luv it when it sounds like they'er on your heels[:o]...yikes!

Return to Off Topic