Walked to rescue

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Sailfish

Walked to rescue

Postby Sailfish » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:04 pm

Don't know about all the white stuff the other 56 states in the US has, since we only have sand, water and sun; if my boat sinks or capsizes it's best I stick with the boat for rescue.
Is this true for you people stuck in the snow?

I'd say they are very fortunate

Idaho Families Stranded in Wolf Territory, Walk 19 Miles to Safety

| February 19, 2014 | |
A short hiking trip turned into a nine-hour trek after one SUV struck a snowbank.

A short hiking trip turned into a nine-hour trek after one SUV struck a snowbank.

Friends John Julian, 38, and William Murkle, 34, had planned for a hiking trip with their children at Idaho’s Lucky Peak State Park, but quickly found more than they bargained for. According to The Idaho Statesman, the two Boise men and their three young children were stranded in Elmore County last Saturday when their SUV struck a snowbank and became disabled. The two families were forced to walk 19 miles before they found a cabin and called for rescue.

“The scariest thing was when we came across fresh wolf tracks,” Murkle told Good Morning America. “And we could tell wolves had been in the area recently.”

The men made the decision to spend the night in SUV, taking turns to reassure the children and tell stories. Julian and Murkle originally planned on a quick sightseeing trip and packed little in the way of food or other supplies. With no cell phone signal, the dads debated between staying with the car or seeking help on foot.

On Sunday morning the group struck out and followed back roads into Prairie. The trek took nine hours before the families found a cabin and a landline within. Despite being weary from the walking, the group says the trip was uneventful and even oddly enjoyable.

“It was just a long journey, but fun and miserable,” Murkle’s 10-year-old daughter Megan told KTVB.

“Fun” may not be how Will Murkle’s wife Chaunte would have described it.

“My heart told me they were okay and we just needed to find them, so I knew they were okay,” she said.

Owyhee County Sheriff’s deputies and other search parties combed through the Lucky Peak-Arrowock Dam area looking for the group after they were reported missing. They were eventually picked up from the cabin and reunited with their families.

The dads say the trip taught them and their children a lesson on being properly prepared.

“I’m going to bring an extra blanket, sleeping bags, food and more water, and pillows, and a tent, and a shovel and sand,” said Megan Murkle.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Ohio farms

Re: Walked to rescue

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:42 pm

I think staying with your car in that situation would the best thing. Now the article said that the car was disabled and I'm not sure if that also meant the engine would not start. (no heat) I would make the decision based on the situation, but staying with the car is usually your first and best option. When winter hits, I'll throw gloves, hunting boots/socks, warm hat and a couple candles in the car. Being a hunter I have lots of extras of that stuff so it's not big deal to leave them there. It's easy to do and it might help someday. I have extra safety things in my boat as well, as I'm sure you do too.
I also agree, they were very lucky.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:37 am

The type of location would really determine whether it would be better to walk or stay with the vehicle... I'm sure they would have been found had they stayed with their car. Especially since they were on a road and people were looking for them.

One thing they should add as far as a safety measure is to leave a map or something that outlines where they plan to be, and then don't go anywhere else.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:57 pm

In the first place what kind of parent takes small kids out hiking in the type of snow and conditions that these guys did. I actually saw the interviews, and the pictures on the Good Morning America show, and the pick-up truck had slid off of the narrow road as it entered a curve and was shown stuck in a snowbank that was twice as high as the F-250 4WD extended cab!!!!!!! I saw nothing to indicate the engine was disabled, since according to the men they had spent the night in the vehicle and then decided to walk out the next day. I can't imagine taking little kids anywhere without food and water in the first place, and I seriously doubt any of us who are hunters and fishermen would consider taking kids and not having something for them to eat and drink. My personal opinion is that these two guys were idiots and shouldn't have put their kids and themselves in that sort of position. Then they also claimed that neither one of them had even told their wives where they were headed, so I have to wonder what kind of mothers those women are!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to Off Topic