Damned Coyotes

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Sailfish

Re: Damned Coyotes

Postby Sailfish » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:20 am

Woods Walker wrote:A coyote, or a wolf or a deer for that matter are all God's creatures, and are ONLY doing what they are genetically programed to do. One is no worse than the other, and certainly we humans are in NO position to judge their motives. I find your attiude about purposely wounding an animal most unfortunate, irresponsible, barbaric, and sadly to be a black eye for hunting.

Might I add.......or judge each other. ;)
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:41 am

Maybe....but I stand by what I said.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:59 am

And of course I wouldn't judge a man who stands by his principles either.
Be it God, Family ..... what have you.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:42 am

Woods Walker, I never claimed that you said any of the comments you obviously mistakenly thought were attributed to you. If I had, then I would have referenced you in such a case. Also, I began my reply with my belief that you are entitled to your opinion and ended it with a reiteration and the comment that I have no ill will towards you or your opinion. Think what you will, and believe as you want. As I also stated, this is one of those things that we will have to agree to disagree about. I do have to take offense at your last comment though (since I also stated that I believe in one shot one kill) just about every deer I kill is dead from a neck shot before it ever hits the ground, as is most every other critter I kill. If for some reason I do happen to shoot an animal that doesn't drop dead in it's tracks, then I will either follow the blood trail and finish it off, or put my dog on the trail and let him find it. I don't gut shoot anything, at least not intentionally, and I'll reiterate once again; my suggestion is for folks who live inside the city limits or in a subdivision where it's illegal to discharge a firearm for any reason and it's pretty difficult to kill an apex predator with a pellet gun or a cb cap. Simply popping a 'yote with a BB gun to run it out of the back yard isn't going to deter it from returning. Therefore, in order to eliminate the disease carrying pest, gut shooting it so that it runs off and ends up getting killed by other 'yotes is a viable method when outright killing them isn't an alternative. I don't believe traps or poison is a suitable method in an urban setting where children or pets could come into contact with those methods Once again, your opinion is your right, but to assume that my opinion lessens my hunting ethics or abilities is rather asinine........besides I think everyone knows the outcome when one assumes, right!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:05 pm

"I don't gut shoot anything, at least not intentionally,"

".....gut shooting it so that it runs off and ends up getting killed by other 'yotes is a viable method when outright killing them isn't an alternative."

???? So which is it? Sounds intentional to me.

C'mon rt, I get your point, but this is a real "Obamanation" as far as the facts go!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:25 pm

I don't live in a restricted area, I can actually open a window and shoot a deer, 'yote, or any other animal in my front or back yard with a shotgun, rifle, or handgun. One more time.........it was a suggestion for those folks such as Sierra who don't have that luxury. A simple suggestion doesn't imply that it's something I actually practice. How many times do I have to explain that to you? It's like going fishing and tossing out a stick of dynamite and using a dip net to scoop the fish out of the water, I've never done it, but I know for a fact that it's practiced.

As for your comment "this is a real "Obamanation" as far as the facts go!" What facts? You don't even know me and you have no idea of how I hunt and certainly no proof or inclination to believe that anything I've ever posted is an "Obamanation" as you put it.

You claim to be a Christian, I don't know you and have no idea if your claims are true or false; but I damn sure never accused you of being a liar or a hypocrite, As a matter of fact, most of the time in the past, we've pretty much shared the same opinions and once again I'll say that you certainly have the right to your opinion but you damn sure don't have the right to judge me or anyone else because their opinion differs from yours...........even if gut shooting was in fact something practiced which in my case it isn't!!!!!! So whether you choose to believe me or not, that's your right.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:08 pm

I'm just going by your words and what you said. So then you don't intentionally gut shoot animals, you just advise others to. Is that accurate then?

And theoretically speaking, if you lived in town like Sierra and you couldn't use a regular firearm, and if you had deer in your garden would you consider doing this, or advise others to? Or is this fate reserved just for coyotes?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:05 pm

Only despicable vermin such as 'yotes and 'dillos, especially since I don't advocate breaking the game laws and certainly believe that an animal such as deer deserve a quick and painless death (which incidentally is one reason I've never gotten into archery hunting, although I certainly would never consider condemning anyone who hunts in that manner). And actually it's more of a suggestion than an advisory considering those individual's legal limitations. Actually when you think about it, the original concept was first proposed by the military when they decided on the 5.56mm round for the M-16. The idea was to inflict as much debilitating injury as possible to the enemy, rather than killing them outright. Also, the suggestion isn't an original concept I came up with. It actually came from a practice I read about that is used by several professional coyote and hog killers hired by some municipalities and individuals around the country.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:30 pm

"...despicable..." [quote]

".....I refuse to assign human traits and behaviors to animals." [quote]

Okay. But no assigment of human traits though...got it.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:23 pm

Gentlemen, you are arguing a point that does not exist.

Sierra and I are neighbors, of sorts. And anywhere that a rifle or bow is not legal to shoot a 'yote, niether is a pelletgun. I KNOW this to be a fact, as I have LOST a pelletgun to the cops for that reason! Stupid as it sounds, and unknown to me, it IS concidered a firearm in Ohio. (it fires a projectile) and just like a bow, is illegal to discharge within city limits.
It is one reason I have gotten quite good with a slingshot. It is not forbidden.(I checked)
using a pelletgun on a 'yote holds the same penalty as using a 30-06! a stay in a graybar hotel, and a fee for room and board.
Poison is illegal to use (antifreeze)
booby traps are illegal.
no explosive arrows (dukes of hazard style)
no machine guns (unless you happen to have paid the special stamp fees and the yote happens to cross a closed shooting range.)
intentionally gut shooting is unethical, but to the best of my knowledge, legal.
(I have heard of this practice by paid rodent killers)

Now, in some parts of this wide country, hunting with dogs is thought to be unethical. In others, hunting with handmade primative bows would be thought to be unethical, due to the lower successful kill ratio, and a higher chance to wound, than modern bows. Just as taking a 500yard shot at a deer is unthinkable here, it is commonplace out west, where long shots are all you may get. Differnt conditions call for different responses.
I will not follow this practice, but i will not try to forbid someone else who may find the need to do so. I will regulate myown actions, and allow others to be resposible for their own actions. (This is the major diffrence between concervatives and libreals, by the way;))

But you will not be using a pelletgun to do it here. It is the wrong choice of weapon, it is no more legal than the right choice, and it is far too limited. And using a nearly silent weapon, might just get you charged with poaching, even if there is no closed season. (the weapon being chosen for stealth.)
And since we do NOT suggest illegal methods of hunting here, (anti-freeze, explosives, boobie-traps, punt guns, or best poaching methods) I would suggest dropping this debate. the method as stated is illegal where I am, of that much, I am sure. outside of city limits, the rules change, and there a proper weapon could be used.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic