Lake Alice

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Deebz

Lake Alice

Postby Deebz » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:23 pm

So I was talking to my Dad the other day, and he found a place on Lake Alice near Tomahawk Wisconsin. He is thinking about getting a cabin up there to do some fishing.

Has anyone ever fished Lake Alice? Would this be a worthwhile trip? They claim to have Pike, Muskie, Bass, Walleye, Bluegill and Crappie, which are all species of fish I love to catch.

Just hoping someone may have some knowledge about the lake. Best times to catch different species, best baits/presentations etc...

Thanks!

*edit: "getting" as in renting one for a week....not buying
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Re: Lake Alice

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:59 am

I did a little research, as I'm sure you did, on Lake Alice. Always hard to tell from reading reviews of the lake as to what the fishing is really like. The lake itself reminds me of the Upper French River area...part lake and part quiet wide river with lots of bays and depth change. Local do well on most lakes because of trial and error and the time to put the effort in. If I were you, I'd be excited about going, particularly for a week. Check out local bait shops for information. Getting an experienced guide for a day or two would be well worth the money.
I've done a lot of pike fishing on Lake Nipissing in the past and would be glad to give you tips on all I know. Do you have a date set?
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:38 am

No date set as of yet. The majority of my family along with the closest of our Uncles and cousins are all going up to a place in MN the first week of June this year. Thanks to this magnificent winter I'll still be teaching school that week so I don't get to go.

Dad was just kind of looking around at other places that would be reasonably priced to go a bit later in the year. It would probably be an early summer time frame. I believe he has been in contact with the owners of a resort who have a local guy who does guiding services to get you started figuring the lake out, so that would help out for sure.

We used to go up to Pelican Lake near Orr, MN every year when I was younger. I think Dad is trying to get back to doing more of that stuff now that the 4 boys are all grown and starting our own families. I definitely am pumped to go on a trip with the family.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:50 am

Using a guide for at least a day or two to help you understand the lake is the best money that you can spend. I made the mistake of not using one on my last trip to the Upper French River. Sounds like a great trip.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:19 pm

Hey 'deebz'' and Ohio hope you are well. I had to chime in on ''Lake Alice'' what a flash back. We fished the heck out of that lake a long long time ago. It used to be full of perch,pumpkinseed, blue-gill,northern pike and walleye and crappie. IT used to be an awesome lake back in the day when we fished it. That was over 30some yrs ago. I can tell you it is full of stumps bigtime. We used to drift the weedbed edges ,and float perch under a bobber for Northern pike. I believe a weedless jig was produced while fishing this lake ,because of the number of stumps in the bays. We used to rent one of 3 cabins on one of the bays. Great memories and plenty of fish back then. Wish I could tell ya how it is now, but a long time has passed. I spent more time fishing for walleye on Petenwell lake in September. Mid-May seems like a good time for Crappie bite,and I personally have found myself fishing more and more for Big blue-gill and Panfish in the spring. Concentrate on Northern bays on new water lakes the shallower the better. This being because in the spring predominately southern winds pile up that warm water in northern bays...mid -summer is a toss-up. Good luck either way.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:13 am

Thanks for the info j5b!

Good to see you around again!

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:16 pm

Enjoy the lake, Deebz. Jonny5b, nice to see you again. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Off Topic