Oil furnace consequences

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Ohio farms

Oil furnace consequences

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:03 pm

I've been spending most of the last couple of weeks dealing with "what happens when the flu on an oil furnace becomes blocked and the soot backs up through the house's vents. Everything and I mean everything is covered in a fine layer of soot. Inside the drawers. Soot. Inside everywhere. Soot. Furniture, carpeting. Soot. (I've been cleaning the house in my sleep for the last week)
You can't wash it off with soap in water, you have to spray with something that has a degreaser in it and wipe it with paper towels. I've gotten it mostly cleaned and put the first coat of "Kills" on the ceilings and walls. I've turned the corner and it's starting to look better, but there is plenty left to do.
If there is a good side, it's that I don't live on our farm, the house is our Deer, turkey and some-time poker camp. Still, the place is special to a lot of people. I was devastated when I saw it.... feeling better about it now as things get cleaned up.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Re: Oil furnace consequences

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:02 pm

Wow....I didn't think there were any fuel oil furrnaces left after the spike in crude oil in the 70's!

The house were I spent half my childhood had a fuel oil furnace so I do know a bit about what you speak of. I remember the tanker truck coming every month or so to fill us up. Some of our neighbors still had coal fired furnaces and when I was a kid watching the coal truck driver chute the coal into the neighbor's coal cellar was the high point of our day.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:20 pm

I have never had that problem but I have used dawn dish soap for many things other than washing dishing. Have used it in our water tanks to put out fires more efficiently. Might give it a try. ;)
Doug

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:55 am

That sucks Ohio! Glad you've been able to get it cleaned up without too much permanent damage.

Never used a fuel oil furnace...apart from one job where the boss heated his shop with a waste oil furnace. He'd take in people's oil after oil changes and the like, then burn it to heat the shop.

I do use LP at my house. While it burns really clean, it's a dirty dirty b*****d when it comes to the bills... the last time they filled us up I got ~400gal for a cool $2000...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:25 pm

It was a severe hard way lesson on keeping up with a maintenance schedule with an oil furnace that I will not forget. I've got it pretty much under control now, but the top coat of paint has to be done yet. Couple of hunting buddies will be helping me Thursday to finnish things up.
Retranger...the trouble with using soap/water in a bucket is that after the first rinse the water is too dirty to keep using it. It just spreads the soot around. It soot is almost sticky when wet, but when it dries it adheres to the surface.
Pic of fridge half cleaned. Everything was covered with it.
Attachments
DSCN1658.jpg
DSCN1658.jpg (19.76 KiB) Viewed 715 times

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:19 pm

sorry to hear of your disaster. it's been a hard year for hunting cabins.mine gets burgled and yours gets this. you might try vinegar to cut the soot.
the only time I've ever used waste oil heaters is on an open-air job site.
I hope you can salvage It.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:20 pm

Sorry to hear that Ohio farms...What a mess...had a neighbor leave her home and the in her oven she stored tupperware...Ya I know... :roll:
Well the burner knob was hit on the way out...the entire house filled with thick blk plastic soot. It was a 3week professional clean up the insurance paid for...I actually think it was an on purpose "accident" they wanted a remodel...LOL that back fired! Really the insurance and fire dept wasn't completely buying into the whole scenario... They basically said take it or leave it to a thorough investigation.

Wow... we have LP too... but prepay at a lower rate in the off season...in all these years just once did that not work in our favor...this year, we made out big time...but they won't come out and fill the tank regularly now...we are on the bottom of the delivery chart with all the prepays so we have to call and get on them big time. Drivers get commissions..the last delivery the dept. manager had to come out. We were down to 15% just before the storm. Mr. B. was not happy...
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:18 pm

I purchased one of the Eden Pure infrared heaters to supplement my electric heat. It is real clean and runs much cheaper than the base board heat. I heat about 800 sq ft with it and will keep it comfortable down to about 35 degrees out door temp. Going to purchase a couple more of them.
Doug

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:34 pm

Deebz, at least the soot did not have a smell. Burnt plastic would be really bad. Oh, man.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:13 pm

That would be brutal...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Return to Off Topic