Tresspasser, caught on trail cam

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
shadow

Tresspasser, caught on trail cam

Postby shadow » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:01 pm

After coming home with an SD card yesterday and putting it into my computer to see what I got.. I noticed I also have a picture of a guy walking down a path of my hunting area, then 2 minutes later walking back. In over 1 year of using 3 trailcams on my own private land, I never caught anyone on film. This land is posted, has an entrance gate, and would also be extremely tough to access. Around the gate itself and borders is brush I had let grow in which reaches 6 feet in height or more and very thick. I don't know why he's walking through and don't know if there's a certain way to handle this. He's not someone who lives near my land... maybe he's looking for a lost dog? Maybe a poacher looking for a good spot? Should I go to the police with these photo's? Should I post them here, maybe someone from my state that reads this knows him??

Patriot

RE: Tresspasser, caught on trail cam

Postby Patriot » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:16 pm

I say post them here.  Maybe someone knows him.  I would also show the pics to some folks in your area.  Maybe somebody knows him.  You could then place a cordial call to the guy and ask him why he was on your land.  It could possibley progress to legal action.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:33 pm

Well..One thing I WOULD do is get the trail cams out of the woods asap!! You may not know what he was doing back there, but one thing for sure is you dont want to have your cams stolen. If I where you Id print off a few pics and show some people, ask if they know him. I would then print one more off and post it in some sort of water proof baggy, above the gate. This will let him know you know he has been back there and he's not welcomed.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:37 pm

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

Well..One thing I WOULD do is get the trail cams out of the woods asap!! You may not know what he was doing back there, but one thing for sure is you dont want to have your cams stolen. If I where you Id print off a few pics and show some people, ask if they know him. I would then print one more off and post it in some sort of water proof baggy, above the gate. This will let him know you know he has been back there and he's not welcomed.

DeerCamp, that is a great idea.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

shadow

Postby shadow » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:50 am

Patriot..
.  It could possibley progress to legal action.

Would this be against me for posting his picture on-line or for him tresspassing? That I can do. Have no problem having this man arrested for tresspasing.

I am taking his photo to the police and file a complaint about this/him. As i was told, maybe they can even identify him. I also will be asking a few others in the area if they know or can identify who he is.
If they can't figure out who he is I will do as Deercamp suggested which is a great idea... put the photo in a large size zip-loc and put it on the entance gate along with a visible note indicating he's not welcome and that he'll be prosecuted for tresspasing.

I also will be relocating that 1 camera. No-one needs to have a camera stolen.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:12 am

Your last line is a smart move ! If the guy saw the picture and the background , he could figure out where the pic was taken and grab the camera . Definately move it .
Sounds like you have the bases covered .
Semper Fi !

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:40 am

You just may want to take a buddy and go looking for a pot plot...hhhmmmmthe harvest is upon them...

shadow

Postby shadow » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:17 pm

I never thought of that.. a pot plot. I don't think so though. I still think maybe someone looking for something... maybe a hunting area. I brought the pictures to my cousins today, he lives about 1/2 mile from my property and he nor anyone else around there ever saw him. Cousin and wife said there seems to be something familiar about him though. They both also said he was kinda clean cut and had that just got out of prison look. I don't know, but its scary thinking this guy or anyone else may be out there when I am and possibly watching what I do. Or even meeting up with him on one of my trails. I got to go out there tomorrow to refill a feeder, refresh a mineral lick, and check a couple ladder stands for shooting lanes. I'm going with my 38 special.

Here's his picture any chance anyone knows him?
And this little deer didn't seem bothered 12 hours later by any left over odor.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:30 pm

I'd involve the police.  Be careful here. If he had to cross a fence to get on you property, he is most likely up to no good. He knows that he is trespassing and does not care. 

shadow

Postby shadow » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:16 pm

Yes my 1st stop tomorrow will be the police dept. I think though if he or anyone else goes through my gate entrance, and see's it unlocked and then my truck 100 yards or so in, I think no-one would at that point bother going further. Got a quick picture of the entrance, he would had to have to climb over this gate. He couldn't fit between the bars and i checked the entrance area today, no one cut though the thick brush around it.

Next

Return to Off Topic