Tresspasser, caught on trail cam

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Ohio farms

RE: Tresspasser, caught on trail cam

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:08 am

If was odd that he was only there for two minutes.  You can't do much more in 2 minutes than just look around real quick or go to the bathroom. Be careful, but we may all be overreacting.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:55 am

I don't see how posting his picture anywhere is a crime especially when it's a picture from your private property, especially in this day of social networking. All you're doing is trying to locate him and find out who he is. There's even a website that aquires mugshots of famous people arrested and then they post them on the internet for the world to see!

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:36 pm

Well I still don't know who the guy is.  I went to the police station and filed a report. The officer indicated he would also email the picture to each officer in the station to see if anyone could identify him and he would call back but it may take a few days.
I got home today and saw that the police dept., called me but didn't leave a message. I think I'll wait until Thursday afternoon and if no call, I'll call them.

I'm also posting the guys picture on the local website.  Like 69Viking indicated it can't be a crime to post a picture of a guy tresspassing on my property for the sole purpose of identifying him.

Hatchetman

Postby Hatchetman » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:35 am

[font="Arial"][/font]I want to say "Never Trust Anyone". This is a cruel world and that should be your first and only thought on your mind. I don't know how much time has passed since this was posted but I hope it all turned out OK.
It's not that I don't trust anyone, but don't make a fatal mistake.

shadow

Postby shadow » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:19 am

Hatchetman...Its only been 3 days since I filed a report with the police, they had called for me to email them a picture, it was easier I guess than them scanning it in.
No news who he is... I even asked the mailman for this area and he also never saw the guy before. I've gone back there about 4 times since originally getting the picture and have not seen anyone or gotten any trail cam pictures of people. So I guess I'll just watch my back while I'm out there.

Don't know if i'm overreacting but I am extremely aware of my surrounding's now, more so since this guy showed up (even though it was only once).
I watch the trail ahead of me all the while looking into and through brush, I also look behind me to check my back trail while walking  etc.. sorta like when your still hunting.
i have also been scanning into trees for steps or stands. So far so good...nothing.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:54 am

shadow as much as it sucks to have somebody tresspass on your land I dont think you have to be checking your back trail while entering your land or be scared to go hunting for fear that this guy will come back. Unless you money to a mobster which he doesnt appear to be.

Maybe he was just being nosey or maybe he thought he was on somebody elses land or maybe he didnt care that he was on camera because at most he will just get a fine for being on your land. some people dont care about others property.

I am not saying you dont have cause for concern because I believe you dont go onto somebody elses property without permission but I just dont want to see you get yourself so worked up that you cant go out and enjoy your land without fear of meeting this guy and him bringing harm to you. He is not the first tresspasser and I am sure he wont be the last.

Just be keep the pic of him and any new pics and take them to the police and eventually he will get caught. You could also set up a camera near where he might park and get a plate number that worked for me once, and helps the popo out aswell. Good luck hope everything works out for you.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:46 pm

Are there other gated access roads similar to yours in the area? Because the vibe I get is, this guy wasn't a hunter or even a local. He may have been given instructions to pick something up. Something like this :The (money, drugs, guns, morel mushrooms, whatever) are in a brown paper bag. Go about x miles down "whatever" road until you see a red gate on your right (or left). Walk down that trail xxx yards and you'll see the bag lying next to a big stump." Now, hes' not dressed for scouting, but he has jeans on...like he knows he's gonna be in the woods...even tho it is clearly hot enough to be wearing shorts. He's only in there 2 minutes and comes out empty handed. If he's not familiar with the area and there are other similar access roads with similar gates around, he could have just been in the wrong place. To me, it looks like he doesn't know he's being photographed. This may speak to the quality of your camera (it takes pictures without any visible flash or audible noise) OR he is not outdoor savvy and doesn't know that trailcams exist, or how they work. He isn't looking for a new hunting spot, or scouting. When was the last time you went scouting with sneakers on and no hat? He just made a wrong turn looking for his "pickup". The fact that your gate has posted signs on it, and he ignored them, would tend to point towards something underhanded going on. But, if I had to pick up a 10000 dollar shipment of cocaine, or I was looking for a clandestine meth lab, I doubt a posted sign would give me pause. Maybe he got down your trail a little way past your camera, and realized that whatever he was looking for was not in this particular place. So, then he turns around and goes back to the main road to look for other gated access roads nearby. If this was the case (that is, he was a bag man for some "transaction") I doubt you'll ever see him again. The fact that local police and postal workers dont recognize him would seem to support this.

Of course, this is all speculation. Let us know how it works out.

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:59 pm

Maybe he just pulled off the road because he really had to go to the bathroom...  That may be why he is sweating so profusely...

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:34 am

Some people often feel that because the power company has a right of way on our lease and the power lines are kept mowed, then it is OK to walk along them.  Last Spring, a tresspasser came in to turkey hunt our property, passing 3 dozen posted signs along the property boundary.  He had no idea we were in there and we had to chase him off the land (good thing for radios where we could communicate between us).  He messed me up on a gobbler I was working. The tresspasser came to the sound of gobbles and thought he was just going to slip in there, shoot a bird, then ease out. I caught up to him and he claimed to have been dropped off by a buddy on a nearby road and was from a town 50 miles away.  After describing him to the Landowner, he determined that the guy lived on the next road over.  The Landowner drove around on the roads and caught him coming out of the woods near his house & went to have a talk with him.  It wasn't a problem after that.

That guy wasn't dressed like he was expecting to be in the woods much. It also seems that if he was a regular tresspasser that you would probably have more than one day's worth of pictures of him.  I think he followed the powerlines to any open trails he could walk down, you know, the path of least resistance.  It is unsettling, but I wouldn't worry too much...unless he shows up on another picture.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:59 am

The silver lining in this may be, as you said, that are more abservant when you walk in the woods now than in the past.  Just might make you a better, more aware  hunter.  Good luck
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic