Whitetail squirrel

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Ohio farms

Whitetail squirrel

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:41 pm

Saw him the other day on my neighbor's lawn and finally got a picture of him. All white tail with some white on his hindquarters.
Attachments
IMG_0662.jpg
IMG_0662.jpg (54.26 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

rthomas4

Re: Whitetail squirrel

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:18 am

Looks like one of our Southern Fox Squirrels.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:53 pm

Actually, it is a fox squirrel. In the sun his tail shows bleach white.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:52 am

They are inquisitive as heck
I had one shimmy up a tree I was sitting in, a mere foot from me.
He wasn't bothered the least by my presence.
Guess he knew he was protected by the law :D
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:20 pm

I know a spot outside of Branford, right off of the Suwanee River that's infested with Fox Squirrels. Here in SC we can shoot 'em on private land, but not on WMA lands. I have a good many right here on my place and down where we have our dog club. It only takes one to make a meal, whereas it takes a couple of gray squirrels in order to have enough to cook.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Mostly fox squirrels in NE Ohio, but there are some greys. We do have red squirrels, but they are not really worth shooting as they are pretty small. Those are the ones that bark at you for 20 minutes when they pick you out of your tree stand. I've shot a more than a few few fox sq. that were pushing 3 lbs.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:47 pm

I was driving down my street a few days ago and realized that somebody had run over the whitetail squirrel. I ended up taking to the taxidermist in a weak moment. I explained my plan to my wife and she agreed with my plan. It will be ready later this fall and I will be sure to post a picture.
Once again I have to say that I do have the perfect supportive wife. She understands my passion and encourages me to pursue it.

I have to add...I HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR THE LAST WEEK TO LOG ON AND NOTHING WAS WORKING. I WAS WAS VERY CLOSE TO SAYING *+^#$@* IT AND TAKE MY BALL AND GO HOME. Has anyone else had problems or was it just me.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:35 pm

I can't say I've had any problems logging on, but I also haven't tried that much. I've kind of been cheating on D&DH on a few other forums lately...

Can't wait to see what your plans are for that squirrel!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:01 pm

At first I was going to have it mounted on a slab of bark and hang it on a wall, but I opted to have it on a small stump that could be moved around. The taxidermist has one done like that and it looked cool.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:17 pm

Good luck with the squirrel. Perhaps pics when it is finished?;)

As to logging in or posting...I did a gear review yesterday, and posted it, it claimed it didn't like the title, changed that and posted, it didn't like the alphanumeric code, I posted it again.....and all looked well. But it never posted at all. No sign of it. Gone.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Next

Return to Off Topic