6zdb

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Ohio farms

6zdb

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:12 pm

Just returned from a walleye fishing trip on Lake Erie. Two of us ended up with 11 fish. An 11 pounder, two 7 pounders and nothing was less that 24 inches. Lots of fun, but I'm exhausted.

I inadvertently put the code in the subject spot. (As I said, I'm exhausted)
Attachments
DSCN1446.jpg
DSCN1446.jpg (60.25 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Re: 6zdb

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:00 pm

NICE! What time should I be there for the fish fry? I'll bring some homemade coleslaw!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:18 am

It's a long drive for you, but anytime Woods.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:55 pm

Nice!

Did you use a charter? My brothers and I are talking about going on a guys trip to Erie, but we don't really have any idea where to start.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:17 pm

Deebz, yes it was a charter out of Lorain, Ohio. It was Bo Kay Fishing Charters and he has a webpage that will give you all the specifics. We fished 3-5 miles out trolling 12 rods. Used planer boards, jets and dipsy divers. Just watching them put the lines out and the management of them was impressive. Captain was a nice guy who was very knowledgeable about the fish and the waters of the central basin. I went with my brother and two other guys and all of us had a great time. We ended up with 12 walleyes and lots of white bass and a few sheepshead. One was 11 lbs, two more 7-8 pounds and the rest were in the 5 lb range with two 22 inchers. Our limit was 18, but ours were really nice ones. We plan on maybe going again this fall. We had nice weather with waves 1 ft. to calm. Lake Erie can get rough, so fishing can be weather dependent, but as we all know that if you play in the outdoors, weather is always a big part of it. Later, the steelhead will be out there and they are a riot to catch. I have 4 rivers within 20 minutes of my house where the steelhead run every spring and fall. I love it.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:27 pm

That sounds awesome. Do the charters pretty much do strictly trolling? The general consensus is that we would like to do more drifting/jigging type fishing.

I definitely have steelhead on my bucket list! If I ever become a billionaire I'll probably just buy an awesome RV and cruise the country doing all the outdoors stuff I've ever wanted to do.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:11 am

The Central basin is much deeper than the Western which makes trolling generally more productive. Casting to fish that are deep is not very effective. Even on a long cast with time given to let the lure drop to the bottom, the lure is only moving through the fish zone for a small percentage of time. Sometimes walleye do suspend in the water column in deep water. In those cases drifting will work. If you want to drift and cast, the Western basin in the Sandusky area might be a better choice. I would rather drift and cast, but trolling multiple lines covers more area effectively.
As for steelhead, while they are not the best eating fish, they run and jump like crazy. Hope you get a chance to try run into some.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:21 am

how do those eat btw?
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:43 am

Really, really good eating. Nice white mild flaky fish. Walleye is a member of the perch family which is also one of the best fresh water eating fish. As with most fish, the smaller ones are better tasting, but they all are great.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:38 am

Well I have had me some Perch in MI, and it was GOOD!

Didn't know those fish were in the same family.

Nice.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Next

Return to Off Topic