Deer Pins????

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
rnet

Deer Pins????

Postby rnet » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:32 am

I am an avid deer hunter and have been since childhood, but today i was approached by a lady at work with an interesting, to say the least, job offer. she ask me if i could build her a deer pen. the deer is a fawn that she rescued and has been ok'd to keep by local kentucky fish and wildlife officers. i am thinking of something 100' by 150' with 8 ft high fencing. any suggestions to this odd project  would be greatly appreciated.

FFKEVIN

RE: Deer Pins????

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:50 pm

[font="Tahoma"]I don't have a clue, but you might try this web forum with better results - Deer Farmers' Discussion Forums

It's a forum for people who breed and raise penned deer...[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:01 pm

Here's another idea......

Marinate it in a olive oil/brown sugar/wostershire sauce mix for about 2 days. Then slow roast it whole over hickory coals until medium rare.

I'll bring the beer and potato salad.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:31 pm

[font="Tahoma"]Mmmmmmm... Venison Veal... Mmmmmmmmmmm... LOL [8D][/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:23 am

rnet,
first off Welcome to the forum. Secondly, I just went through this same situation with a hunting buddy of mine. He kept his in a dog pin for the first 2 1/2 months and two weeks ago we built a larger permanant pin. Heres what we did, the pin is 104' by 104' and on each corner there are burried telephone poles for strength. The fencing itself is 8 foot which we picked up from a local that was previously using it around his apple orchard. we then used pieces of strut (1 5/8 x 1 5/8" steel channel) every 8 foot in between the telephone posts. The hardest part is the gate, there we added an extra telephone pole and used a standard 4 foot high cattle gate. There are two issues here, one the gate has large areas that the deer can slip through and the other is that the gate is only 4 foot tall. what we did was attached 3 aluminum poles to the gate to extend up to 8 foot and then attached some orange fencing that you typically see surrounding jobsites to both the bottom and the top of the gate. This was the best we could come up with so if you think of anything better than that let me know. I can get you pictures if you would like just send me a pm and I will go out there and take some.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:29 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

Here's another idea......

Marinate it in a olive oil/brown sugar/wostershire sauce mix for about 2 days. Then slow roast it whole over hickory coals until medium rare.

I'll bring the beer and potato salad.

Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Return to Off Topic