Safe way to store pistol

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
dadof3upatree

Safe way to store pistol

Postby dadof3upatree » Thu May 14, 2009 3:57 pm

I need some idea's on safely storing a loaded pistol in my bedroom.  I have three young kids, ages 8, 5, and 19 months.  I want to store it in my room for protection of my family but I also want to keep it away and safe.  My wonderful wife says no way but if I could find a safe, unaccessable way to store it, she would come around.  I need it 100% unobtainable to the kids but easy for me to get in the middle of the night if needed.
          All of my kids love to shoot, including the youngest but that love leads to curiousity.  They are being taught safe handling of firearms with zero tolerance for unsafe handling but they are still kids.
Please help me and thanks!
May God Bless You As He Has Me

passin through

RE: Safe way to store pistol

Postby passin through » Thu May 14, 2009 4:08 pm

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20799&id=0027552223551a&navCount=1&podId=0027552&parentId=cat20799&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

Try this link---- I like these they are safe, solid and no batteries needed. 100% mechanical --- no bumbling for a key in a hurry. They are a little pricey but they will last forever.  I am looking at one myself, just have not gotten off the stick and bought one...time to do it though I guess...my little one is beginning to walk more and she loves unloading drawers she can reach.  Another option might be a rack above the door jam of the closet.  I have kept a shotgun there before....good only if the location is high enough though.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Thu May 14, 2009 4:14 pm

Thats a tough one.....if your gun is not available to You then you can't protect yourself or your Family yet it needs to be un-accessable to your young children?What about a small Sentry safe that you would have the only key for...or some handguns have a small seperate key that locks the trigger like the Sturm Rugers Mark II and Mark III handguns.You could also keep the shell magazine seperate from the handgun so it is un-accesable or buy the small trigger locks for handguns?

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Thu May 14, 2009 4:24 pm

I'm with PT (passin through) on this. I feel this is the best option. I've also seen some models with an electronic key pad. 

Woody

Postby Woody » Thu May 14, 2009 4:32 pm

I also agree with Passin though. This would probably be your best bet. You might pay a little bit for it but IMO very worth the money!
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri May 15, 2009 6:08 am

Ditto what PT said. With 3 kids, I don't know how else you'd do it.

We only have one, and when she was little, I'd keep mine on the upper shelf in our walk in bedroom closet, where even to this day she couldn't get to it without a stepping stool. But that's not an issue now. I taught her how to shoot a handgun when she was 8, and she can outshoot ME now! (Although admittedly that's NOT a difficult task....I'm a MUCH better archer!)
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri May 15, 2009 7:32 am

I guess I've always been brought up with storing guns in one spot and ammo in another..never together and for sure never loaded.  But, to each your own...I'd put it in a handgun safe.  Probably your best bet.
QDM!

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Fri May 15, 2009 4:12 pm

First of all i have to say that you don't store a gun loaded in you house....

you buy a semi auto 45 or 40 cal for protection..keep the breech closed in you night stand with the clip duck taped to the back of the night stand..out of sight( or back of head board)

1.most kids will not be able to pull the slide back to engage the first shell...
2. it is close enough to get to incase of an inturder...in the closet might take time to find especially if the closet looks like mine
3. take you kids shooting with a .357 or .44 to scare the crap out of them..so they know it is no toy
4. crack them on the ass if they go into your room snooping around
5.incase of intruder...do not hesitate...shoot at will

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri May 15, 2009 4:21 pm

He did say that he wanted the gun for protection, and the only way a gun is any good for the purpose of home defense is if it's loaded. If you don't keep it loaded then you're better off with a baseball bat....bigger, heavier, and a WHOLE lot cheaper.

An unloaded gun is basically an expensive, ineffective club.

Now having kids in the picture DOES complicate things, but there are ways to do it safely.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Sat May 16, 2009 4:14 pm

if you don't have time to put a clip in the gun...when they are basically right next to each other then you are probably dead...gun or no gun

99% of the time you will hear the intruder..though you don't have time to go looking for the gun it is right next to you with the clip less than a foot away...

a trigger lock is OK but most times the key is some where other than next to the gun...safe takes to long...and loaded is unexceptable...that is how kids get killed...because they pick it up not realizing it is loaded...dead ..son or daughter...can't take that chance

better off taking the chance you don't actually hear someone enter your home...then the alternative

as far as a bat goes...if your intruder has a gun which he should ...your going to eat a bullet.... my friend

for god sake you don't have a navy seal sneaking through your house with night vision technology..and like i said if you do then having the gun already loaded isn't going to help...cause your already dead....

Next

Return to Off Topic