Safe way to store pistol

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
kribbz

RE: Safe way to store pistol

Postby kribbz » Sun May 17, 2009 5:58 am

what about putting the unloaded gun in your nightstand with the breach open and a loaded mag above the door jam in your closet?  both are easy to access and probably on your way out of the room anyway?  this way the intruder not only hears you get up but hears the slide slamming shut and if that is not enough to scare them away you may want to prepare yourself for a shootout.  I myself have told my wife, if anyone ever breaks in, grab the gun and go into our daughters room and lock the door and tell them to take whatever they want but if she so much hears a footstep outside that door she would open fire.  lets face it nothing is more important in my house than my wife and daughter!  the rest is just stuff.

passin through

Postby passin through » Sun May 17, 2009 9:00 am

OK-- I think we are perhaps venturing off just a tad.  (i know this will) But here's my take--- An unloaded gun is an unloaded gun when it comes to personal protection.  If you need it and its not loaded you need a backup plan because the time it will take to load the thing will cost you.  Also if you load a fire arm as you leave the room you will a) alert whoever is there you are coming and give them the chance to ambush you and possibly after wards back track you to where your loved ones are.  and b) you are setting out to do something that may end in the intruders demise, loading the gun and going out looking could be construed as premeditation by the wrong judge.  Most home defense classes I've ever heard of say get in a preplanned defensible position (the kids room for an example) have a phone there & call the cops.  If the intruder intrudes defend the position, don't fire through the door and aim to stop/kill (center mass).  Have everyone you care about in that room, that way whats out side can be locked out.  Don't play around, advise him to stop with the safety off, you do not have to tell him you are armed and don't worry about wether he is armed because he is.  The best weapon anyone has is between thier ears and the intruder has one of those.  they can just as easily beat you to death with the phone as stab or shoot you.  The assumption that all intruders should be armed with a gun is not real accurate but if it helps to visualize that then ok.  Keep in mind though guns were invented as a more efficient killing tool.  They are by far not the only thing that will do the job.  Woods Walkers suggestion of a baseball bat is a good one if you have room to swing it and even if the intruder is armed with a gun he is has the mind set of attacker not victim....at close range if you are quick he will never have the chance to adjust (remember he is in your house) 

Sorry about the long rant but home defense is kind of a pet peeve.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun May 17, 2009 9:23 am

Having raised two kids that were just into EVERYTHING...a few horror stories there...I think no loaded hand gun is a safe gun with kids....as for defense...a non chambered 12ga with buckshot hanging behind the head board is a good thing...but my shepherds are a better thing...ppl all around us have been robbed and had a couple of home invaitions....none had big dogs....now back to the 12ga...picture moving through a dark strange house ...wired and then you hear that distinct sound of a shell being pumped into the chaimber(sp)....If they do'nt wet themselves and leave then all you have to do is call the cops and wait...away from the door or windows...

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun May 17, 2009 9:30 am

P.S. ...I think every parent should also have a deadbolt on their bedroom door.....Anything that is no ones business should be in that room and when your not in it it should be locked....I remember having baby sitters too.....[&o]

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Sun May 17, 2009 11:09 am

I agree that no Loaded gun is a safe Gun!!!! and for the time it takes to put a clip or a shell in a weapon of choice it is not worth the risk an innocent kid being killed

if an intruder hears you laod your weapon..most likley they will leave..nobody wants a confritation..criminals are notoriously criminals cause they like to pick on the weak...you show strength and they will leave or not come around..ie a dog..

also there is no defensible position from a bullet in a house unless you have steel doors and a bunch of sand bags...

unlike the movies a .40 caliber, 9 mil. or bigger will slice through a 2x4 like a hot knife through butter...

no wall is thick enough to stop a bullet...unless fortified or it is made of brick...which most interior walls aren't...

I like the shot gun idea cause u don't have to be proficient at shooting..anything close will be terminated..plus it is to big for most kids

you need to be able to get yor weapon quickly...but not recklessly...you need to protect yourself...and your family..not kill one of your family members or their friends....by being careless

and Rule # 1 Safety always comes first

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun May 17, 2009 2:46 pm

My suggestions would be to start by making your home not a likely target for anyone.

Large shrubs, bushes and hedges around or in front of your house that someone can easliy hide behind should be cut down or eliminated. Why wonder while your driving up at night and opening your garage door or putting the kids to sleep if anyone is hiding behind them. Small bushes look nice and will not normally hide anyone.

Exterior lighting.  Install motion sensored lights aroung the outside of your home high enough that no-one can reach up to disable them.

Do you have a long driveway?  Setup a motion detector that can't be seen by others but that will notify you inside your home if a car or someone goes
 through it.

Put up some outside cameras and/or invest in a good security system, and use it.

Don't have ladders, scafolding etc.. next to or set up against your house. Thats an easy way for someone to gain entry into your secoind floor.

Before bed MAKE SURE all your doors and windows are locked.  You must have heard of the Dr. here in Ct., (the Petit family),(relatives of friends of ours)  whose wife and daughters were followed home from shopping 1-1/2 years ago. They waited until all were asleep, the two lifelong criminals then checked the doors and found the hatchway open, (great security system but it wasn't on) got in then beat the father, left him for dead in the basement then tied up, raped and killed the rest of the family.
Be sure your locked up. Doesn't matter if your in the country were's theres no crime, it only takes that one time, and one derranged person to happen by and walk in.

Also be sure no-one is following you home, if you think your being followed drive by your street and continue on then call the police if needed.

Something I've also seen done outside your home is to raise your telephone jack box and wiring high above what anyone can reach enabling you to have phone and security service without worry of anyone cutting your service giving you more time to be able to call out if the need arises. Its also good to have your cell phone next to your bed in case your phones wires are cut or someone takes your phone "off the hook".

As far as a handgun, I have mine loaded but in my gun safe nowhere near my bedroom, probably wouldn't help me unless I was in the basement. If you need one in your bed room put it in a small safe that can be easily opened using a touch-pad in the dark.
Also good which I have but do not use is a touch pad trigger lock. The gun can be left anywhere loaded with out the fear of it being discharged. If you don't know the electronic combination of it it won't open. Its also nice because the numbers light up.
Just a few suggestions to make your home safer which in turn will lessen your reliance on you firing a handgun in your home.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun May 17, 2009 4:17 pm

I also agree with the shotgun idea. It is, IMO, the best overall home defense weapon. You don't need to be an expert shot to use it, and with lower sized shot you won't go through walls, and yet it will be plenty deadly enough at close range that they'll be picking the shot wad out of the perp's corpse.

(Although ANY weapon that you would choose as a defensive weapon you need to know SO well that you can load, unload, and even partially disassemble/assemble in total darkness.....in an adrenelin charged confrontational situation, you CANNOT be preoccupied with the mechanical workings of your weapon. It's too late for that. Just imagine how pumped you are when a deer with your name on it shows up, and now multiply that by 100 for a personal defense situation!!!!)

I also like the idea of having dogs that will warn you. They don't have to attack, in fact I'd prefer they didn't. Just wake me up in time and I'll do the rest.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun May 17, 2009 4:22 pm

Here's a recent event that sort of applies with this topic. And even if it doesn't, it STILL needs to be presented because you'll NEVER hear this reported in the mainstream media.........(And BTW...I believe this good man's weapon WAS definately loaded...had it not been there's NO WAY he could have prevailed like he did in this situation.)

College Student Shoots, Kills Home Invader
Posted: 4:53 pm EDT May 4, 2009
Updated: 9:09 am EDT May 7, 2009

Posted: 4:53 pm EDT May 4, 2009
Updated: 9:09 am EDT May 7, 2009
COLLEGE PARK, Ga. -- A group of college students said they are lucky to be alive and they're thanking the quick-thinking of one of their own. Police said a fellow student shot and killed one of two masked me who burst into an apartment.

Channel 2 Action News reporter Tom Jones met with one of the students to talk about the incident.

"Apparently, his intent was to rape and murder us all," said student Charles Bailey.

ImageTOM JONES: College Student Shoots, Kills Home Invader

Bailey said he thought it was the end of his life and the lives of the 10 people inside his apartment for a birthday party after two masked men with guns burst in through a patio door.

"They just came in and separated the men from the women and said, ‘Give me your wallets and cell phones,'" said George Williams of the College Park Police Department.

Bailey said the gunmen started counting bullets. "The other guy asked how many (bullets) he had. He said he had enough," said Bailey.

That's when one student grabbed a gun out of a backpack and shot at the invader who was watching the men. The gunman ran out of the apartment.

The student then ran to the room where the second gunman, identified by police as 23-year-old Calvin Lavant, was holding the women.

"Apparently the guy was getting ready to rape his girlfriend. So he told the girls to get down and he started shooting. The guy jumped out of the window," said Bailey.

A neighbor heard the shots and heard someone running nearby.

"And I heard someone say, ‘Someone help me. Call the police. Somebody call the police,'" said a neighbor.

The neighbor said she believes it was Lavant, who was found dead near his apartment, only one building away.

Bailey said he is just thankful one student risked his life to keep others alive.

"I think all of us are really cognizant of the fact that we could have all been killed," said Bailey.

One female student was shot several times during the crossfire. She is expected to make a full recovery.

Police said they are close to making the arrest of the second suspect. [/align]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Sun May 17, 2009 5:07 pm

As far as a handgun, I have mine loaded but in my gun safe nowhere near my bedroom, probably wouldn't help me unless I was in the basement. If you need one in your bed room put it in a small safe that can be easily opened using a touch-pad in the dark.
Also good which I have but do not use is a touch pad trigger lock. The gun can be left anywhere loaded with out the fear of it being discharged. If you don't know the electronic combination of it it won't open. Its also nice because the numbers light up.
Just a few suggestions to make your home safer which in turn will lessen your reliance on you firing a handgun in your home.

I agree with almost everything but this ..you will not have time to unlock a safe..or trigger lock...you are going to need to access your weapon of choice in a timely manner...hopefully you never need it and taking precaustions to make sure you don't is the best way ..but if you need it ..it is going to save your life..don't leave it is a safe ..you will regret that for the short amount of time you are left alive

passin through

Postby passin through » Sun May 17, 2009 5:49 pm

Dtrain-- while I agree with most of what you are saying as a whole....some of it bothers me to a degree and I guess we will have to disagree.  (Starting off let me say I don't mean to pick apart and am merely disagreeing, not trying to be offensive) 
I do keep my defensive weapons loaded  (un-chambered) but loaded and I do keep them out of reach and the pistol will soon be in the type lock box I linked in at the beginning.  I do agree the dogs are a good idea.  I have a few hounds that will bark at anybody coming up the drive.  (Also believe it or not Guinea Hens are great alarm systems if you live in the country and can stand the annoying things... I guarantee nobody will come around you don't know about)  My disagreement comes in with these statements

"an intruder hears you laod your weapon..most likely they will leave..nobody wants a confrontation..criminals are notoriously criminals cause they like to pick on the weak...you show strength and they will leave or not come around..ie a dog..

also there is no defensible position from a bullet in a house unless you have steel doors and a bunch of sand bags..."

To me this just seems off somehow....I guess its the "most likely" statement.  what if they don't?  The thought of planning on best case scenarios where my families well being is concerned doesn't make sense.  They (the intruder)have done the crime already by breaking in....a 3rd strike type of guy has nothing to lose by continuing, a violent criminal armed or not may or may not continue on.  The person could be high and not even hear the warning.  A guy armed with a gun in a situation like that hears a racking slide and it just gives him a point of reference to shoot.  (no offense to the 12gauge solution -- I personally believe they will cure anything, including the common cold and assuredly the ignorance of an intruder.  but it would really suck if you racked the slide on your 12 ga only to be ended by their 12ga)  Combat troops don't rack slides and lock bolts before launching an ambush and you should not have to either.  You are not a cop, you are under no obligation to give that individual anything closely resembling an even break or try to capture them. You are in a defensive state, period.  The point being is that they need to leave your house, in a bag or on foot. Planning on them to realize the danger and run away in time is not the greatest of ideas in my opinion. 
The other part to that statement about there being no place in a home defensible from a bullet...I'll cede that one with little or no argument.....But I will argue there are defensible positions in the home from a shooter or an intruder.  An unarmed assailant will charge you, a bed, couch, or upturned table will break that charge momentarily allowing you to fire on a temporarily unmoving target.  An armed assailant looking into a dark room from a doorway will not easily pick out and have a good chance at hitting you crouched behind something in the darkest corner of the room...you on the other hand will know exactly where to look and there will be a good chance of an outline of the intruder in the door frame.  You may not be able to get to a point defensible from a bullet but you can defend against the person with the gun.  If you see him first and he shoots first that's your fault.  I personally believe anywhere you can put your back to a wall can be defended if you have the right mindset.  Some just better than others.  I personally believe the worst out of any one breaking into my house and I certainly will not believe they don't want a confrontation.  They are, after all, IN MY HOUSE.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic