Safe way to store pistol

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Woods Walker

RE: Safe way to store pistol

Postby Woods Walker » Mon May 18, 2009 6:47 am

There's one, and only one way for a firearm to be of any value to you as a defensive weapon, and that's if it's loaded, with your being able to discharge it with the flick of the safety and the pulling of the trigger. Anything else will very well get you killed.

Look at it this way....when you deer hunt, do you wait until you see the deer you want to shoot before you load the gun? Do you keep your gun on your lap and the ammo in your pack or attached to the tree somewhere? Hell no! And this is in a circumstance where the deer is NOT trying to do you any harm or kill you!

If you have safety concerns concerning kids I more than understand that, and the ideal thing to me would be able to have the loaded firearm in a safe or other place where you can get to it with the touch or your hand, without having to think of combinations or loading functions.

And if someone was actually in MY home, on my turf, the only warning they would get from me is when I had them dead to rights and in my sights, and it would be issued ONE time, FREEZE, DROP IT OR YOUR DEAD. Up until that time, the last thing I'd want to do is to give away my presence or location. I'm on my ground, and that's a HUGE advantage. Why give that up by racking slides, sending clips home, or some other form of sabre rattling? At that point, they would only be a trigger touch less safety from eternity. My entire being and psyche at that point would have to be focused 1000% on what he, and then I would be doing in the next nano-second, NOT on loading or finding my weapon. We're talking equipment prep and muscle memory here that makes a bowhunting situation seem like a walk in the park.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon May 18, 2009 9:10 am

First off I always get a kick out of people when they say "i have kids so my guns need to be locked up." Now inderstand not giving a gun to a 2 year old but a 5 year old should have already been taught that guns kill and you dont mess with them when a parent is not alone or the consequences will be huge and to respect them.

My take on this is teach the kids gun safety and to repsect the weapon and its intended purpose at a very young age and you will not have any issues.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

dadof3upatree

Postby dadof3upatree » Mon May 18, 2009 9:23 am

First, let me thank all of you for your information and opinions on this matter.  It is clear that many of you are passionate about your stand on this issue.  For myself, I have several reasons for wanting and perhaps needing a loaded firearm at easy use for the protection of my family.  I do have dogs.  Three out of four of them weigh over 80lbs and most don't like strangers.  Although I believe they would prevent many intruders, I don't believe they would stop someone who would enter my home with the sole purpose of doing harm to my family.  I have a Bipolar ex-wife for one.  If her head split open and an alien popped out it would not shock me after some of the things I saw from her in the 13 plus years of marriage.  She's really that crazy.  I have stories that would make Jerry Springer cry but I won't go there.  I stayed married for 13 years because I'm a Christian and when I said I Do, I meant it.  She didn't!  Anyway,  thats one possible problem I have among others.  I also have a meth head next door that I have informed that he needs to stay away from my family because I've already dug the hole for him.  I have my reasons for wanting to be able to protect my family at a moments notice.  I have a wonderful (sane) wife now and 3 children I would fight a grizzly for.
               All that being said, I think its going to come down to weighing the good verse's the bad.  With alot of thought and prayer I will make a final decision.  No loaded gun is a safe gun if not actually in your hands.  A bat can be taken from you and used on you.  Also, as long as I have children in my home, I couldn't leave a round in the chamber of any firearm.  Loaded perhaps but not chambered.
      Again, thank you all for your information and your insight.  It will all go into my decision.
                               God Bless!
May God Bless You As He Has Me

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon May 18, 2009 7:10 pm

Sure you'll make the right decision...Helps to get a lot of differing opinions though as you said. 
QDM!

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Tue May 19, 2009 3:51 am

Dadof3UpaTree,
Do you have a carry permit? One more possible option that I have not really seen anyone mention is to holster your sidearm and carry it with you 24/7, or as close to this as possible.  I'm aware that its not always possible to have a gun with you 24/7 due to work environment and a few other issues. When you can't carry it with you, its locked up. This way, you'll always know the status of your gun. But when at home, you have it with you.

dadof3upatree

Postby dadof3upatree » Tue May 19, 2009 3:29 pm

I do not have a conceal and carry permit, which is what is requiried in Missouri to carry a pistol.  That being said, there are times I carry anyway due to some of the environments I have to work in sometimes.  I could get permit but just haven't yet.
          I just want one at easy use in my room but totally untouchable for my children.  I think, although, for now I am going to go without it.  The thought of one of my kids getting hurt because of me is just to hard to take.

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Wed May 20, 2009 10:51 am

I love how when the pos gets shot, he calls for help and for the police...

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

[size="3"][/size]
 [color="#0000ff"][size="4"]College Student Shoots, Kills Home Invader[/size][/color]
Posted: 4:53 pm EDT May 4, 2009
Updated: 9:09 am EDT May 7, 2009

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed May 20, 2009 1:47 pm

Wow! I am sorry, but you have a pistol you carry at times outside of your home but do not have a permit?

All it takes is someone to see it and report you or if you should get pulled over and the police happen upon it, YOU will then be treated like a criminal and probably spend a night in jail! Isn't that considered a felony? I believe so. Get your permit to carry before you drive around with it or carry it somewhere again.

dtrain56, I do agree with you,  if needed I will not have time to run downstairs to unlock the gun safe to get my pistol. Hopefully I will not need it.
I also have 3 young kids at home, and although I do trust them around weapons I still do not feel comfortable leaving a loaded gun, even in a small locked safe or with an electronic trigger guard attached laying around.
So for the time being locks, lights, and a couple of dogs will need to do.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:13 am

Well As for KIds...we were all kids and yes our parents thought they were teaching us right...but i know i wanted to be cool with my buddies and did things i should have....

because i was imature and a kid...thats what kids ..especially boys do...don't think they aren't going to pick up that gun and show thier buddies..they will maybe not at 5 but certenly at 11...

as far as your methods I will never agree with having a loaded weapon in my home...but to each his own....

i would never forgive myself...if I had to bury one of my kids because of negligence....

therefore i have gotten my advice on how to handle this situation from a professional...a 14 yr Navy seal veteran...so i gues i will sticking with the gun in the draw of my night stand and the clip duck taped on the back of night stand....out of sight and a secret only me and my wife know...

for the time it takes to put the clip in the gun and chamber a round...and maybe being noticed ..at least i have peace of mind..to know my kids will not be showing off with a loaded gun and i wont have to worry about burying my neighbors kids or mine....

and also getting on of my old shot guns...cut down as we speak..it is a better
weapon the the misses

dadof3upatree

Postby dadof3upatree » Sat May 23, 2009 1:53 pm

Shadow,  In Missouri, under the current law, anyone 21 and older, with no criminal record or mental illness, may carry a loaded firearm, in their vehicle as long as it is concealed.  No permit required.  This is what I was referring to.  Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic