So what are they odds?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
msbadger

So what are they odds?

Postby msbadger » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:35 am

That I'd be in the kitchen last night and turn to see Mr. B. yell BAT and hit the deck...next thing ya know we'er walking thru the house brooms in hand, hunting this thing...not a little bat either...dang thing was pretty big and blk...I thought all we had in NY were the little brown bats....
 I give up and the 3 of us ..Mr B. the dog and I eat dinner out at the picnic table...go look again grab pillows blankets and out to the van we go...[>:] I'm just about to fall asleep and my cell goes off ....our son .."Wheres Dad?" ...in the van next to me...we have a bat..
" Know way!" I hear him yell...thats why I'm calling...theres a bat in my house ...what do I do....I hand the phone to Mr.B and say...tell him to get a hotel room!!....So as soon as I recover from a night of ...well less than stellar sleep ...after a day of painfull bee stings I'll be hunting a bat....
 Now we are not whimps here...see after we moved from our old neighbor hood ...years ago.... one of our neighbors ...nice ppl...woke to the faint sound of fluttering wings...a bat was trapped in their bed room...husband kills it and they check each other...sure enough she had been bitten and never felt it.....The bat had rabies...she got the shots...but had a bad reaction and landed in the hospital for a couple of weeks....So wish me luck....I may be heading down to camp for a few days..[;)]....lol

fasteddie

RE: So what are they odds?

Postby fasteddie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:38 pm

Don't kill the bat . They eat mosquitos ..............
Semper Fi !

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:56 pm

Damn, that sucks, what a couple of days you've had MsBadger!  Fasteddie that is just not right LOL!  If there's ever a bat in my house he's going to be dead before he has a chance to bite myself or family members, rabies is some serious stuff!  There's plenty of other bats OUTSIDE that can eat the mosquitos!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:06 am

Well guys as of 4:45 this morning we have the house (living area) bat free...knock..knock...knock....took down all window treatments ,except shades,checked all over no bat.

Did what experts say closed all doors and left one window open per room....Mr. B took the air mattresses out to van and then we waited...no bat ..so he went to sleep ..I took a shower and checked this sight...headed down stairs with flash light and was swooped at...well this went on for 15 or so min. and now I'm yelling for help....Guess whos sound asleep [&:]...so I call my cell phone....then stand at the bedroom window..well he wakes up and says it's on the screen door like they said...well dear there's more than one...so he swings open the door and that ones gone...the search is on...the other ..well smarty that he is... landed just above our 200 year old pendulum clock...Mr.B tries to carefully scoop it up in his smelt net and the chase was on...we hear a smack and the bat has disappeared...Nice!...another great nite for the 3 of us in the van.
 This a.m. Mr B. finds him stuck behind a shade...now what....he has the smelt net in hand and I a curtain rod...I can see his foot wiggling at top of shade...soooo...i do an upward jab and it drops into my cacti were Mr.B drops the net...it grabs the net and out the door they went...I make lunch iron and come to PC room in time to see....yep them flying back into the house through the attic vent....hhhmmm they can stay there until winter...so long as they mind their manners and stay there....

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:59 am

ORIGINAL: fasteddie

Don't kill the bat . They eat mosquitos ..............

Sometimes it's tough NOT to kill them. I had one in my house once. It prolly came down the chimbley.

I got a broom and it went up the stairs and into a bedroom. I closed the door and opened a window, but it wouldn't fly out. So I swatted it with the broom, trying only to pin it to the floor so I could take it outside. I succeeded, but then found out the bat was dead. (Somewhere I have a picture of it.)

I guess I saved a hundred or so mosquitoes that night.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:19 am

Ohhh boy, sounds like ya got two pope and young bats in the area.. Hope ya get them out of there lol
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Return to Off Topic