Kidney Stones are fuuuuun!!!

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
vipertech

Kidney Stones are fuuuuun!!!

Postby vipertech » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:28 am

On 7/9 I went to a concert. Got home around midnight and slept for about 2 hours until I was woken up with a pain in my side.  Having had one stone before, I knew right away what it probably was.  I was hoping it was just a gas pain (they start out feeling the same) but deep down, I knew I was in for a long night.  Sure enough, I was rolling around in agony trying to get comfortable all night.  [:(]  If you've ever had one, you know what I'm talking about.  There is absolutely no position you can get into to help curb the pain of a kidney stone moving from the kidney, through the ureter, to the bladder.  My father likes to get into a tub of the hottest water he can stand.  He swears this helps.  I tried it but it wasn't helping.  Walked around the house, sat on the edge of the bed, laid on the bed, crunched a pillow into my stomach, etc.  Nothing works. Around 9am,  my wife finally took me to my Dr. hoping he could RX something stronger than the vicodin I still had from the stone I got Feb 08.  Instead, he sent me to the ER.  Once there, they IV'd me on some saline and some wonder drug.  My wife said that once it hit, I looked like a heroin addict.  Good stuff I tell ya!  [:D]  I finally zonked out.  When I came too, the pain was mostly gone but I was so relaxed I had to get oxygen because my breathing and heart rate slowed.  Then I took an ambulance ride to the city hosp. because this hosp. CAT scan machine was broken!  The city hosp was so over-run, I wound up sitting around in that place for hours.  I just can't wait for ObamaCare!!! [8|]  The CAT scan revealed that the stone had indeed made it into the bladder so I was released.  I still haven't pee'd it out yet but that will happen eventually.  I do not wish these things on anybody!!

ranwin33

RE: Kidney Stones are fuuuuun!!!

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:48 am

My wife has had them on a couple of ocassions.  I do not envy you, they are miserable.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:32 am

All I can say is years and years ago...been there and thank the heavens for drugs!....I was lucky back then everyone and their brother didn't live in the ER...been nocking on wood ever since hoping to never do it again....21 hrs of hard labor(baby) wasn't as bad...hope you feel better soon....

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:37 pm

I had a Kidney Stone removed when they use to do it surgically . It was located in my kidney and was very painful . They cut me across my side and to my back . It took a few weeks to recuperate and was very irritating to say the least . The stone looked like a small pea with burrs on it .
Now they destroy them with ultra sound !
Semper Fi !

coach

Postby coach » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:59 pm

sorry for being ignorant on this matter....

What causes stones ?   Once you get it....do you have a better chance of getting it a second time?
Now fasteddie...you say they can destroy them by ultra sound ?????

I'm 35 and don't know anybody who's had them.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:22 pm

My dad has had at least 5 kidney stones and everytime he is in excruciating pain. The last 2 he has had laser surgery (ultrasound?) which breaks the stone up into smaller pieces. He has also had other surgeries such as fasteddie said and some he has simply passed.

In response to coach: every doctor my dad sees has a different cause for them. lol. Some doctors say that red meats cause them. Others say that salts and salty foods do. And some say that alcohol can cause them so who knows really. I believe that once you have them you will continue to get them as my dad has. I also think genetics plays a part because my grandpa has numerous kidney stones. Hopefully I am lucky and don't get them.
Kyle

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:17 am

sorry for being ignorant on this matter....

What causes stones ? Once you get it....do you have a better chance of getting it a second time?
Now fasteddie...you say they can destroy them by ultra sound ?????

I'm 35 and don't know anybody who's had them.

Here's a couple good websites that talks about them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney_stone

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/Kudiseases/ ... #treatment

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/kidney_s ... cle_em.htm

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:13 am

Good info VT...that knocking on wood must really work because those are all my favorite foods and I'm terrible about my fluid intake[:o] I'm On calcium and D as well so I suppose I better go get a gass of water and not bother with the swiss chard tonite [&o]....lol that ole food list keeps getting smaller and smaller

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:24 am

Good info VT...that knocking on wood must really work because those are all my favorite foods and I'm terrible about my fluid intake[:o] I'm On calcium and D as well so I suppose I better go get a gass of water and not bother with the swiss chard tonite [&o]....lol that ole food list keeps getting smaller and smaller

I didn't heed the warning about drinking a lot of water after I got my first stone.  I think that was my problem.  I'm going to definitely try to pay attention to that more.  I'm trying to drink at least 60-80oz of water a day.  I also heard that lemonaid is a good thing to drink.  It apparently creates a coating over the deposits that form stones.  This coating acts like teflon so to speak making it harder for the deposits to join. Or so I heard. [:D]

You would think that taking in more calcium would be a bad thing because KS are calcium buildup.  But this is apparently not the case according to recent studies.  In one of those articles, they talk about this.

As far as foods are concerned, I'm simply going with a common sense and moderation plan.  There's no way I would have the will to completely cut out the foods I like but I can definitely moderate them.

The main rule of thumb to help prevent stones is drinking plenty of water every day. 

coach

Postby coach » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:46 pm

Thank you buckets Vipertech.........
Learned alot.

TOmorrow....I'm starting to drink more water.  [;)]
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Next

Return to Off Topic