Log Cabin

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
DeanoZ

Log Cabin

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:15 am

I have 5 acres in Vermont that I'd like to put a small cabin on.  I've been looking online a log cabin plans, kits, etc trying to figure out the best route for the right price.   I'm not what you would consider the real handy type but I'm pretty sure I could do a kit.  Looking for something between 300-500 square feet total with room for a loft above.  Naturally I'd like to do this as cheap as possible but still maintain quality in the materials and workmanship.  If any of you have built a kit cabin I'd be interested in what kit company you went with and your experience.  Thanks!

Sailfish

RE: Log Cabin

Postby Sailfish » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:35 am

I do not know a ton about log cabins and kits. I do know that there is alot more involved than a retail or kit salesman will lead you to believe (Wiring, finishing, windows, doors, logs, how the logs are cut, etc). I read that you can have  a "shell" done for around $40 sq ft (from foundation to roof shingles,mid grade windows,nothing fancy). But like I said there is lots more to it than that.

I also sent you a link.

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:46 am

DeanoZ...have you concidered the amish or menonites(sp)....We are lucky to have a large community of them in our area and they have built some beautiful barns and homes for unbelievable prices....if they are in your area  I'd check that out you may be pleasently surprised

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:04 am

Thanks Sailfish and msbadger...I'll check out the link and yes I had considered having it amish built, but I was hoping to keep the cost down by doing most of the work...still they offer a pretty good so I may just go that route anyway.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:33 am

Perhaps you doing the foundation them the framing and you doing the rest ans time and budget allow.....good luck

Nikhxle04

Postby Nikhxle04 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:17 am

Y'all should look at this website. They build these small transportable cabins that can be used not just for hunting lodges but for a million other things. http://www.monolithic.com/topics/cabins

dadof3upatree

Postby dadof3upatree » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:37 pm

If cost is a big factor, you should look into one of the many metal storage building companys. I have seen many smaller units go for as little as $2000. And they would more than work as a hunting cabin with little investment. With such a little amount of money invested, perhaps, later you could build the cabin of your dreams at a slower rate while still using your land for hunting. You say you may not be a handyman but if you could really take your time and only invest small amounts of time and money perhaps you could become quite a handy man. As well as the satisfaction of building one heck of a hunting cabin! Just a thought.Good luck and God Bless.
May God Bless You As He Has Me

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:33 pm

We bought a Log Home Kit from a Company out of Canada that makes some really nice Log Home Kits that are pretty easy to assemble yourself and the logs are light weight enough to carry by yourself.It has been several years since we have had ours up (1994) so I don't know if the company is still in business but here is the info if you want to get some prices or info from them.

Cee-Der Log Buildings
4100 6A Street NE. Calgary Alberta
Phone (403) 277-0167 or 277-8501

Return to Off Topic