Anyone bear hunt?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Patriot

Anyone bear hunt?

Postby Patriot » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:30 pm

I'm going on my first ever bear hunt in 6 weeks!  A buddy and I are heading up to New Brunswick, Canada.  I'll be using my bow.

Anyone else here bear hunt?
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

coach

RE: Anyone bear hunt?

Postby coach » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:20 pm

I've hunted many times and guided at an Outfitters.
I've seen many bears but never one that I wanted.

New Brunswick !!  Wow.
Many good spot ands great Outfitters.

Good luck

You will be successful.  I'm not even worried.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:46 pm

I tried hunting bare once. I didn't get more than 100 yards or so before I damn near bled to death for all the briars and thorns.

Does that count? [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

coach

Postby coach » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:57 pm

I say it does. 
 I hope those thorns weren't waste high. !!
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:00 pm

Well I have never gone before, but Im applying for a chance this season. So far I have 5 points and Im going to the UP. So Im hoping to get a tag and a bear.. I hope you have fun on your trip and you are able to get one.. Keep me up dated, and let me know how ya do.. Good Luck to ya.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:11 pm

Never have, but would love to one day! Good luck to you, and be safe! Cant wait to hear some stories and see some pictures!!!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

tjsna

Postby tjsna » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:32 pm

YES!! Went to Strong ME. last sept. my 13 yr. old son got a bow kill on a sow black bear that was 20 pounds shy of the maine state record and he was the youngest hunter and youngest bow hunter in that camp to ever kill one that large.His first time bear hunting.Dad sat on the stand for five days and never saw a bear.Pays to be young! I never got a bear but I got to see the biggest smile one will ever have the pleasure to see.Same smile on the first deer,turkey,goose,duck,etc.etc. it never gets old....

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:08 am

tjsna:
Welcome to the D&DH forums, and thanks for your story. You said you sat on a stand for 5 days and never saw a bear. You (and I) are proof that baited bear hunting is not like shooting fish in a barrel. I think maybe I sweat pepper spray.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

MN_Prairie_Prowler

Postby MN_Prairie_Prowler » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:49 am

I lived in northern MN for three years and got a tag the last year  I was there. Had lots of luck getting bears to come to my bait until the wolves discovered them. The bears quit coming all together and even seen a bear.

Hope you have a lot better time and luck than I've had. Can't wait to see how you turn out.
Good luck!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:37 am

I'm counting the days!  Apparently the season starts May 18 at this particular location.  It's an outfitter type deal....which is new for me.

Rumor has it that some UFC fighters will be there hunting as well.  Should be fun.  I'll be sure to post pics.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Next

Return to Off Topic