Anyone bear hunt?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Patriot

RE: Anyone bear hunt?

Postby Patriot » Fri May 15, 2009 3:47 am

Very nice pics!  I'll keep that in mind for a new bait station idea.

I leave Sunday (5/17) and return Friday (5/22).  Hopefully I'll have some good pics and stories to share.

We fly into Bangor, Maine and then drive over the border to New Brunswick, Canada.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed May 27, 2009 3:07 pm

ORIGINAL: Patriot

I'm going on my first ever bear hunt in 6 weeks!  A buddy and I are heading up to New Brunswick, Canada.  I'll be using my bow.

Anyone else here bear hunt?

Well, I wish I had some good stories and pics to share, but I gotta say it....I got skunked.

$1,600 + one week of vacation = no bear sightings, no shots, and one upset hunter.[:@][:'(]

Let's just say expectations were A LOT higher than reality.  We were supposedly guaranteed a bear.

Maybe "coach" scared 'em all away.[:D]

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed May 27, 2009 5:01 pm

Again, sorry to hear that buddy...Good scenery at least?
QDM!

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed May 27, 2009 5:02 pm

Paul:
I'm sympathetic. Check out my article in the current issue of Bear Hunting Magazine entitled "Maybe I Sweat Pepper Spray." Here's a link that takes you to the first couple of paragraphs: http://www.bear-hunting.com/issue.cfm (Scroll down a little.) For the whole article you'll have to find a copy of the May-June issue on the news stand. If you can't find one, PM me and I'll send you a photo copy.

I figured you'd do better than I've done because you were doing a spring hunt. Fall seems generally more difficult because there are more natural foods to compete with the bait.

I've hunted three times in Ontario (fall hunts) and twice in Alaska (spring spot and stalk hunts), plus a few Pennsylvania hunts, and haven't yet taken a shot at a bear. It's not always like shooting fish in a barrel, and there are no guarantees.

I'm looking at a possible spring 2010 hunt in New Brunswick, but that's a long way to drive, and I'll have to get the Mrs. to OK it. (Since your hunt was also in New Brunswick, maybe you ought to PM me the name of the outfitter.)

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu May 28, 2009 5:42 am

PM sent.

As much as I'd like to, I won't slam them publically in the forum, but I'm happy to PM anyone else the info.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu May 28, 2009 5:48 am

I put out a blueberry pie and everything!  No joke.

Ok.  I'm done being bitter.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu May 28, 2009 6:39 am

Ohh bow Patriot.. Idn what Id be more scared of... Walking back in the dark from an evening hunt, or walking back knowing there's gonna be an UFC guy waiting for me haha.. I was really excited for ya and hoped ya get one.. But hey we cant always get one.. Ill know in about a month or so if I got a tag or not.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:30 am

Man I'd come in to eat that....Yum!!!!!
QDM!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri May 29, 2009 9:34 am

Turns out the blueberry pie did the trick.  Another hunter sat over that same bait station the day I left and shot the biggest bear of his life (and he's killed about 40 bears).

....but hey....at least I didn't get stuck!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat May 30, 2009 7:36 am

Bad timing brother!
QDM!

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic