Not a good find

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
DeerCamp

RE: Not a good find

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:30 am

I agree, just another reason to get out into the woods.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:18 pm

Don't take me wrong,I will shoot every yote I can but sometimes I think their effect is exaggerated.
As a side note, according to a study done in northern WI when the fawning happens at the right time,black bears can take 19 to 24 percent of the fawns.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:57 pm

We can only hunt them Oct1-March 31 here in NY...but because we had yotes kill our live stock DEC said if I see them near the live stock areas I can shoot them...biggest problem other than the yote...for they kill to eat ....are the packs of domesticated dogs...they run and kill adult deer and kill fawns just for something to do...been to court and hospital because of locals dogs running deer on our land

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:14 pm

That fawn may have been stillborn or died some other way. A coyote is just a four-legged buzzard with fur. They are opportunistic feeders & any fawn would make a decent meal. We have a shoot on sight coyote policy at the lease. The land owner found a fresh road killed deer and brought it back to where he had been seeing some coyote sign, then hung his climbing stand about 80 yards off the carcass & ended up taking a pair of 'yotes off it.

I also worry about the coyote's effect on nesting turkeys.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

dadof3upatree

Postby dadof3upatree » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:18 pm

CutNRun took my reply. Coyotes do take many fawns but many of these fawns are dead or abandoned by their mother because of their chance of survival was low. I also think fawns are dropping right about the time last years pups are trying to make it on their own and establish their own territory. All things happen for a reason and nothing goes to waste in nature. Man invented waste. They need the food just like all the other animals on Gods green earth. I do hunt coyotes alot during the off season and enjoy the thrill of being the one that is getting hunted while calling as a dying prey animal. Coyotes do get out of check at times and can really do a number on deer and especially turkeys. A farm I used to hunt about 10 years ago was so full of turkeys it was nothing to see a flock of 50 or more in the fields. Then the yotes came. We didn't see a turkey on that farm for 5 years. We began hunting the yotes and at that time the state of Missouri even toyed with the idea of putting a bounty on the yotes. That was not uncommon just a few decades ago. Missouri never did but they did try to influence hunters to pursue them. The turkey numbers have improved on that farm but it still has not fully recovered. In my opinion, the coyotes have their place in our woods if their numbers are held in check and sometimes, the deer, turkeys, rabbits, squirrels, and even the coyotes need our help.
May God Bless You As He Has Me

TigerW

Postby TigerW » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:30 am

Go ahead, shoot this beast! I think you're able to do this

Previous

Return to Off Topic