Kicking the Habit

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
dadof3upatree

Kicking the Habit

Postby dadof3upatree » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:15 am

I was hoping to get some new advice on giving up smokeless tabacco. I started using dip at the
age of 8. I realize that may be shocking to some, but I'm from a small farming community and everyone did it back then.
Now, 27 years later, I find myself hating it but still using. I have 3 young kids and a great wife and I owe it to them to live as long as possible.
Over the years I have given it up for a time but always went back. I quit during my first year in the Army.
I started again. I quit for 2 years when I was 30 and picked it up again. Most recently I quit 8 months ago for a month
and like an idiot, started again.
I have tried it all over the years, from patches to gum to just cold turkey. Cold turkey has been the only one that works but I'm so rude to my family I hate myself.
I'm having the biggest trouble just getting myself to start this time. Everyday I say todays the day and I just don't stick with it for even half the day. I know the simple truth is I just have to do it but I was wondering if anybody had
anything they did that was different that really helped them. I would be thankful for any advice.
May God Bless You As He Has Me

jacannon63

RE: Kicking the Habit

Postby jacannon63 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:54 am

Get your denist to show you some pics of people with cancer of the gum,lip or mouth.
Stump sittin since 1981

passin through

Postby passin through » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:36 pm

you have to just do it I guess--- by buddy has it done pretty well cold turkey but has started smoking occasionally.  His new bride is in the medical profession and showed him all kind of pictures, hid the stuff, and tried putting gummy worms in the can to gross him out...which was one of the dumber things I've ever seen (we are from a small farming community too and gummy worms?  City Slickers...don't ever marry one...you'll be explaining the rest of your life!)
I did try mixing black pepper in his snuff to help out which got Tabasco put in my coffee thermos....I'm still waiting on the pay back for the glass deer eye I slipped in the can...that was funny...his wife looked over his shoulder to see what he was laughing about, freaked and batted the can out of his hand.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:41 pm

I think this thread started with tips to quit smoking but it might help. http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=24118

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:07 pm

I would guess that quitting for your kids would be motivator. Just keep the mentality that if you do not quit, your kids will suffer for it. And go cold turkey, its the only way.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:27 am

check out this link it will take you to the pictures page, but if you surf the site you'll find alot of good info.

Chewing Tobacco Cancer Pictures
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Return to Off Topic