I had a good morning!

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
DeanoZ

RE: I had a good morning!

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:28 am

Ok so went out this past Saturday for my first Turkey hunt in years.  Got in nice and early, setup on the edge of an overgrown field with a nearby stream where I had seen tracks several weeks ago.  Put my She-Mobile deke out in front of me about 15yrds and over my left shoulder (as JPH recommended) and waited for first light.  First light came and went gave out a series of soft yelps once every 10 minutes...after 30 minutes and not so much as peep I decided to go loud and greasey, as JPH puts it!  another 30 minutes of on and off calling roughly every 5-10 minutes and still nota response..even tried the crow call...nothing, nada, zip!!  So I grabbed my trash and deke and headed out for my next spot...along the way i did some calling hoping to elicit a respose...nothing.  Arrived in spot #2 and realized i failed to account for the morning sun when i was seeting the spot up the previous day in the afternoon, which at this time in the morning was glaring down on it...so moved to another spot in the shadows but on the edge of this sandly lot where I had seen tracks a couple weeks ago.  Set the deke up again and proceeded to unleash a ammouth wave of loud greasey calls...yelps, cuts, clucks, purrs...pretty much the kitchen sink.  To no avail still no response...so after an hour of that i packed my trash again and moved on to spot number 3...which i had not scouted before and really turned into a long nature walk with me throwing out some yelps every 1/4 mile or so.  At that point it was about 10am, and I only had two more hours of hunting left before I had to pack it in.  So got in the truck and drove throughout the area on two tracks, stopping every so often or where thee was interesting terrain and threw out some yelps.  All tolled I covered probably a good 1/2 of the reservation i hunt and not one gobble, sighting , or sign of Turkey.  I know they are there, i just can't figure out where they are hiding at!  Any ideas folks?  I plan to go out next Saturday but I'd really like to have a plan in place and not go out half-assed...of course like all well intnetioned plans they usually survie the first 30 secs of contact and then its a free for all...guess thats hunting!

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:49 am

That'll teach ya to listen to me!

If it makes you feel any better, they have been kicking my butt as well! We had one good morning where a hen robbed us off the roost, then a gobbler hung up a 60 yards and wouldn't budge. Then, at about 9:00 that morning, they shut off and I have not heard or seen much from them since. Between work, bad weather and bad birds, I it has been pretty lean.

Hang in there, it will turn around.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:07 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

That'll teach ya to listen to me!

If it makes you feel any better, they have been kicking my butt as well! We had one good morning where a hen robbed us off the roost, then a gobbler hung up a 60 yards and wouldn't budge. Then, at about 9:00 that morning, they shut off and I have not heard or seen much from them since. Between work, bad weather and bad birds, I it has been pretty lean.

Hang in there, it will turn around.

Nah, i think you and the others here (Ohhunter has been especially helpful on the T&TH forums) have provided great advice.  I knew right from get go my issue was going to be locating the birds to begin with..as you said set-up is everything.  In all honesty I'll consider the season a success if I can call to one and he responds...that's all I'm looking for right now.  At least then I'll know I did something right, lol.

At OH hunter's suggestion I'm going to go out on Friday evening and see if I can roost one of them buggers and at least get a sense for where they will be the next morning.  Its make or break this saturday because unfortunately thats the only other hunting day available to me this season :(

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:00 pm

All this turkey talk...I think I'm going to give it a try next year!  I'll be hitting you guys up for advice...Maybe even jump on the T/TH forum!
QDM!

dewey

Postby dewey » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:41 am

ORIGINAL: Patriot

Well done JPH.  Got lucky again.[;)]  I've never hunted turkeys before.  I bet it's a blast.

I bet you would love it.  Nothing quite like calling in a big tom and hearing that bone rattling gobble when they are within 20 yards of you.
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

dewey

Postby dewey » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:47 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

He was solid at 23 lbs. and 1" hooked spurs, but the most amazing feature were his beards of 10.5", 6.5", 6" and 6"!

Trouble downloading the photo. I'll try again later.

Holy crap that is an awesome bird[:D], did you see the 4 birds before you shot him or was is a great surprise.  What kind of score to that bird get from the NWTF website[8|]?  Are you going to mount that bird or do anything special with a bird that has 4 great beards[8|]?  Are you on the T&TH website as well, I would love to see those pictures.

Congratulations to you again.

I hope you don't mind but I typed in your birds measurements into the NWTF website scoring calculator and it scored 101, which would be in the top 30 in Iowa history.  CONGRATS again.
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:17 am

I hope you don't mind but I typed in your birds measurements into the NWTF website scoring calculator and it scored 101, which would be in the top 30 in Iowa history. CONGRATS again.

For the love of chicory!!!!  Do you guys do anything small in IOWA???? [8|][8|][8|]

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:50 am

Awesome looking birds. Congrats!

Deanoz- I remember a few seasons ago I tried several different calls; owl, crow, turkey, and they wouldnt respond. All of a sudden the neighbors beagle howls and that made them gobble!

I dont know if I missed it in the reading but several different calls can help as well. I have had times where turkeys wouldnt respond, tried a different call and they went nuts. Thats hunting for ya!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:06 am

Thanks Reeper, yeah i get the sense I probably need to try a few more calls....so on that note...I will be bringing my car door with me in the woods, so I can slam it against the tree...My Jets Powerhorn....and a snare drum...I'm bringing shock gobbling to a whole new level...short of that i give up!!! [;)] 

In all seriousness I've heard that odd , loud sounds will cause them to shick gobble.  I just think I'm in an area they are not...of course a buddy of mine went out the day before and saw a few hens and took a jake not far from where I was scouting so who knows..like you said "thats hunting". 

Any chance I can borrow your neighbors beagle?[:D]

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:47 am

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

Thanks Reeper, yeah i get the sense I probably need to try a few more calls....so on that note...I will be bringing my car door with me in the woods, so I can slam it against the tree...My Jets Powerhorn....and a snare drum...I'm bringing shock gobbling to a whole new level...short of that i give up!!! [;)] 

In all seriousness I've heard that odd , loud sounds will cause them to shick gobble.  I just think I'm in an area they are not...of course a buddy of mine went out the day before and saw a few hens and took a jake not far from where I was scouting so who knows..like you said "thats hunting". 

Any chance I can borrow your neighbors beagle?[:D]

Haha, Turkey Calling EXTREME!!!

I will trade you a turkey locating dog for one that finds deer sheds[;)][:D]
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic