I had a good morning!

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
DoeEyed

RE: I had a good morning!

Postby DoeEyed » Fri May 01, 2009 4:32 am

Good Luck! Can't wait to see the picture[:)]
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sat May 02, 2009 11:29 am

I'm a little late to wish you luck Deanoz, but how did it go?
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

dadof3upatree

Postby dadof3upatree » Sat May 02, 2009 3:46 pm

Another tip is to call with two or even three calls at one time.  It takes alot of practice at homeand drives the wife crazy but when times get tough its worth the trouble.  Its hard to care 2 different rythms at one time but you can do it.  I use a mouthcall, and two different push button calls at times with several decoys.  Just puttin and cuttin to sould like several birds happily feeding. Or I use my slate and a mouth call together, which I think is hard than the other combination.  One last thing, just because you never saw or heard the gobbler doesn't mean he didn't come, at least part of the way.
I've killedmore birds that never gobbled than those that did.  And whose to say how many we all have had coming in that henned up along the way, possibly because we brought hens closer as well.
May God Bless You As He Has Me

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun May 03, 2009 5:35 pm

Well I never did go out Saturday morning, but I did some scouting to try and roost one the night before and I bumped a hen!  So for me that was exciting because that was the first bird I've seen on the property I hunt all year!!!  Unfortunately he was in a bunker type area and I damn near was on top of her before I knew it and she ran up the side of the hill...but at least now I know where they are...question is will they be there next saturday when I go out?

I opted not to go hunting Saturday morning for three reasons:  First, I would have only been able to hunt until 8am...I had my godsons first communion at 11am and in all fairness to my wife, leaving her alone with the baby while she tries to get ready, was not fair..and had I actually bagged a bird we would have been late...second, it was raining buckets Saturday morning, the forecast was actually right this time!  I know birds like to be in the fields in the rain, but I don't have very many fields and my sense is they would have been holed up in the woods...lastly, aside from the one hen I bumped, I drove all over the place and did not see anything else...not even a single response to the owl call...i even slammed my car door extra hard, lol, nothing!!!  I also knew if I went I'd have to do a lot more driving around and locating...just did not feel very confident in where they were at and since I was only going to be out until 8am, I knew I was going to be stuck in one spot.

Soooooo...I realized that I actually do not have anything going on next weekend and will be able to hunt...the long range forcast is for better weather, so my plan is to go out and roost some birds on Wednesday and Friday and get a better bead on where they are roosting.

So I have a few more questions as a result of this experience:

1.  Despite bumping that hen, is it reasonable to expect they'll still be in that area (+/- 100yrds)
2.  For locating birds I've tried everything and the birds are not resposnding...crow, owl, turkey calling..etc...any other tips? Dadofthree, I'll try your suggestion of multiple calls

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon May 04, 2009 6:40 am

I don't see any reason why she wouldn't be close to that area she's probably got a nest nearby.  I don't know what to tell you about the lack of gobbling.  I'm running into the same thing here.  Haven't heard any gobbles the last couple of days. I'm hoping it will pick up by the end of the week. 
Brad

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon May 04, 2009 7:23 am

Thanks OHhunter...yeah I was thinking the same thing because she was by herself so perhaps she is nesting near by.  I'm guessing this up coming weekend will be better..if their nesting I liken it to the second rut in deer season...there will be a a few awnery gobblers still looking to get some and since I'm not hearing anything, maybe some calling might bring them in...I'll give you an update after Wednesday evenings scouting trip.  Thanks again for the advice.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon May 11, 2009 10:03 am

Well my first season in Jersey is over and without a doubt Turkey Hunting is a lot harder than deer hunting!  I never did get the close encounter I was hoping for, but I did manage to see a Gobbler and tried to roost him the night before.  Best part was shock gobbling him with the crow call...whatta yanno, this damn thing works, lol!  Unfortunately he never returned the following morning..i don't know if it was the flock of Geese a 100 yrds up the hill making all kinds of racket that kept him from coming down my way or if he just went a different direction, but did not hear a peep that morning.  Anyway, I've learned a lot, and am much better prepared for next season.  Thanks to all who took the time and patience to help a newb through the process. Much appreciated and good luck to those still out there looking to fill their tag!

dadof3upatree

Postby dadof3upatree » Mon May 11, 2009 5:15 pm

For the hens, this time of year, its all about 2 things.  A safe nesting place and food.  It is my believe that all turkeys feels safer in field during the rain because their number 1 and number 2 defenses are much less effective in the woods during rain.  Every rain drop hitting a leave catches their eye and all the dripping makes it hard to hear an approaching predator.  In a field at least they increase their sight distance.  Those younger birds are not as stupid either after a few weeks of being hunted.
           Another tactic that can be used, late in the season, when you have nothing to lose, is to bust a flock up by running at them.  From the Fall hunting tactics.  The birds bust apart and if you sit down and wait till you start hearing the other birds trying to locate one another then start calling you can sometimes call them all in, including that tom.  What have you got to lose, right?
May God Bless You As He Has Me

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:24 am

ORIGINAL: dadof3upatree

For the hens, this time of year, its all about 2 things.  A safe nesting place and food.  It is my believe that all turkeys feels safer in field during the rain because their number 1 and number 2 defenses are much less effective in the woods during rain.  Every rain drop hitting a leave catches their eye and all the dripping makes it hard to hear an approaching predator.  In a field at least they increase their sight distance.  Those younger birds are not as stupid either after a few weeks of being hunted.
          Another tactic that can be used, late in the season, when you have nothing to lose, is to bust a flock up by running at them.  From the Fall hunting tactics.  The birds bust apart and if you sit down and wait till you start hearing the other birds trying to locate one another then start calling you can sometimes call them all in, including that tom.  What have you got to lose, right?

Love the tactic...You not only get to hunt, but you get your daily exercise as well!!!
QDM!

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu May 14, 2009 3:47 pm

Hey Deanoz, just reading your last post you said he didn't come down your way.  Does that mean your were set up down hill of him?  Just a little tip, birds are usually easier to call up hill, than down.  It's easier for them to escape.  Anyway congrats on your first season, good luck in the future.
Brad

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic