Help needed! - Bear hunt / Scent Control

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Patriot

Help needed! - Bear hunt / Scent Control

Postby Patriot » Fri May 15, 2009 3:54 am

I'm headed to a weeklong bear hunt next week and have a question about scent control.

Obviously, most of us are scent control freaks when it comes to deer hunting, but what about bears?  Do I need to go through the same scent control routine?

I would think the bears would be used to human scent....especially when the bait stations are routinely being visited by humans to reload the bait.

Help!  I'm packing tomorrow and need to know what to (or not to) take.  My clothing is mainly scent lok anyway, but I'm wondering about the rest (rubber boots, scent free soaps, etc.).

Thanks!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Patriot

RE: Help needed! - Bear hunt / Scent Control

Postby Patriot » Fri May 15, 2009 5:03 am

Great question Patriot.  Let me answer your question.

A bear's snout is packed with nasal sinuses that can detect scents on a molecular level. They use their nose to detect danger, to socially interact with other bears, and to find food. The hunter should always keep scent control in mind while scouting and hunting. Bears will check the wind before making an approach to a feeding area so the hunter will want to study prevailing winds and position himself down wind from the bear's most likely approach. Choice of clothing is imperative too. Wear rubber footwear and clothes free of camp or home odors to reduce the chance of a bear detecting your presence. The use of scent- adsorptive clothing products and cover scents to mask your presence are recommended
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

coach

RE: Help needed! - Bear hunt / Scent Control

Postby coach » Fri May 15, 2009 4:07 pm

LOL..........

Bear do not use their eye sight because they see blurry. They recognize shapes that is not suppose to be at a specific location....but blurry.  Unlike whitetail, they use their nose, eyes and ears, bears rely more on their nose and ears.

I've guided bear hunting on many occasions. I was baiting them and yes they got used to my smell.  My smell meant food on the table.  So when they approached the bait and smelled me....they didn't think of it as danger.  That's why you as the " hunter " never approach the bait. You bring a different smell to the area which will probably hold bear back until complete darkness, or until your gone.

Once you go to a bait......stick to it.  If it doesn't pay off the first day or two...it will eventually.
The outfitters usually puts the treestand high enough and always downwind.  They usually will not allow you to hunt a stand if the wind is wrong.

Be sent free.....as you would be usually......Don't dress to warm.... its easy to sweat at this time of the year.  Ask the outfitter is you need a net to protect from flies.  They could be a killer in some areas.

Good Luck Buddy.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Return to Off Topic