Are you doing anything

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Sailfish

Are you doing anything

Postby Sailfish » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:40 pm

Special or different during these challenging economic times?
Loading your own ammo? Making your own clothes? Buying groceries in bulk? Sponging off the in-laws :-p

I pretty much stock up on bogo free on food products. And I have reduced my offshore trips quite a bit the last year.

You?
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Robert Rowland

RE: Are you doing anything

Postby Robert Rowland » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:24 pm

I have put off buying items that I had intended to buy, like a rifle, minerals, seed, another trail cam, new mower, new car, ect......
The family eats out less often and will be putting in a garden that we have not had for several years.
My wife is a teacher and her income is steady and secure. In contrast, my income is all commission and can vary greatly month to month.
It is a big relief that our place is paid for and I have no car payments, otherwise it would really suck.

coach

Postby coach » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:19 am

re-using last year's equipement. Nothing new for me this year. 
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:57 am

ORIGINAL: Robert Rowland
The family eats out less often.

Isn't it crazy now?!?

If we go to Sunday b-fast at the local egg shop its like $35.00 for my wife, 2 and 4 year old, and myself. For Breakfast!!

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:46 am

Oddly enough, things have not really changed a lot for us. My wife and I live pretty simply. We have a modest house, high mileage vehicles, and we bargain shop. The two exceptions to that are that my wife loves to travel and we own a small hunting property.

The travel has actually gotten cheaper. Air fares are low and many places are desperate to fill rooms. My wife is smart about it and knows how to find deals. Plus, she has friends and family all over North America that she stays with often.

As far as the land goes, it's a mixed bag. Interest rates are low, so it is not breaking us. Making the 150 mile round trip has gotten better since gas went down. But I'm a non-resident there and the tags just went up to $225. Ouch. Our loan is up next year, so I am trying to pay it down as much as possible before we have to refinance it. I suppose that is the biggest change. I am putting off some new things (bow, rifle, tree stands) so that I can put it on the loan.

My prayers are with all those out of work and struggling.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:24 pm

I am trying to help jump start the economy . I purchased a Honda Foreman 420cc ATV last week and will be picking it up either this Wednesday or Thursday . I also bough a Trailer to haul it with .
Semper Fi !

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:58 am

Nice!
Good to see someone doing something ;)

I actually have noticed finally a few deals on acreage thereabouts.
Saw 30 acres in N Florida, hilly terrain, with a stream at a very nice price.

And 40 wooded with a double-wide in MI near my family's place (don't really need the DW on it though and I think thats why it isn't quite the perfect deal).
Another 6 months, maybe I will have my renovation finished and refinanced and we'll be able to pull the trigger.

As long as we stop going out for family breakfast in the mean time [:D]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:57 am

We're thinking of selling the children for labratory experiments. That should make ends meet just fine. If not, we can always sell a body part or two. [:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

MHHC S. IL

Postby MHHC S. IL » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:14 am

I graduate college in three weeks and I am working on buying a house.
LIVE AT FULL DRAW

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:04 am

Luckily (crossing my fingers) we have been rather unaffected by this.  I took a promotion before the economy went south and other than our home loan we have no debt outstanding.  We try to cut back on the shopping but have been living pretty normal.  I'm in the St. Louis Metro area and we are usually the last into good/bad times and the last out without the Huge swings.  So I'm hopeing that stays true and we can weather the storm. 

Like JPH said: "My prayers are with all those out of work and struggling." 

Next

Return to Off Topic