"Gun Went Off While Cleaning It..."

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
fasteddie

RE: "Gun Went Off While Cleaning It..."

Postby fasteddie » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:12 pm

You can't fix STUPID !
Semper Fi !

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:03 am

I've been hesitant to post on this thread because even the most careful can make a mistake. But I don't understand how a gun can go off while it's being cleaned. The first thing you do when cleaning a gun is open the action. A gun with an open action can't fire, and a gun with a closed action can't properly be cleaned. If it's a bolt action, you take the bolt out and clean it from the breech. The excuse "I didn't know that it was loaded" really means "I didn't check to see if it was loaded."

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

wack

Postby wack » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:17 am

I'll never forget one of my first experiences with a semi auto pistol. A room mate of mine down if Fla bought a 9 mm semi auto and we headed out to the swamps to go try it out. We get to this spot, he loads up the mag as I watched, put a round in the chamber, through a bottle out in the water, shot at it and missed. Then he stuck the gun down the back of his pants, like he was dirty Harry or something. I had just opened my mouth to tell him as I was moving to a safer location, he went to quick draw on the bottle again but before he could get the gun out of his pants, the gun went off! He never uncocked the hammer, never put on the safety, blew a hole right in the seat of his pants, right where I had just been standing, put a bullet hole right in one of my foot prints, the muzzle blast burned his butt, the bullet casing jammed the slide as it tried to eject, or inject it into his skin. With me diving for cover, his backside burning he tugged at the gun again and kind of just tossed it to the ground where it bounces 1 time, dislodges the spent casing and came to rest, fully cycled and ready to fire again.  Before I could say a word, he picked up the  gun, dropped the magazine out of it, and shoved it back into his pants! This time in front!
 I said," Dude, freeze, don't move, don't touch that gun." I walked over by him, carefully pointed the muzzle in his pants away from him as much as possible, and just touched the hammer. BANG! I shot a hole in his front pocket from the inside out, I took his gun from him and he never got it back. I'll never forget that smell of burning hair and gunpowder or the sight of smoke wisping out of the bullet holes. lol
 Now before I get hung here, I was about 20 years old, I had a good idea what caused the first shot but wasn't sure. I wasn't trying to fire the second shot, just trying to keep the muzzle in a safe position as I tried to remove it from his pants. Later inspection of the gun showed it had been modified to have a hair trigger pull. Even in experienced hands, this gun was an accident waiting to happen. If the spent brass wasn't hung up, that gun would have fired when it hit the ground. I used it for a gunsmith class came in handy for inspecting and test firing and I pretty much ruined what was left during the bluing, engraving and electroplating part of the course. That gun will never hurt anyone again.
 Fasteddie, you can fix stupid most of the time. I try to fix a little bit of my stupid every day and let me tell ya, I've done a lot of fixxin' over the years.[:D] 
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:31 am

wack, that's a frightening story. As far as close calls go, I think it beats mine:

Many years ago I was walking up a trail with a teenage buddy. He tripped, and as he lurched forward to catch his balance he jammed the barrel of his .22 rifle into the soft spot just behind my earlobe. I was lucky -- if there's such a thing as luck. I was lucky his finger wasn't on the trigger. If his finger was on the trigger, I was lucky he didn't pull it when he instinctively tightened his grip as he stumbled. If he did pull it, I was lucky the safety was on.

When it comes to guns, luck isn't something to depend on. Now, I'm very aware of how my companions are carrying their guns, and where I'm standing in relation to them.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:32 am

WOW! Those stories are enough to make you wonder why more folks aren't killed by sheer stupidity.

What I've always feared was falling, or suffering some other kind of mishap while handling a loaded gun. I've done my share of upland bird, duck, deer, and small game hunting over the years to have been in many hairy situations climbing mountains, negotiating icy trails, gooey swamp mud, thickets, blowdowns and other extreme conditions while carrying loaded weapons. I can understand a  mishap under these conditions, as safety conscious as we all try to be "stuff" still happens.

But NOT while CLEANING a firearm. As Everyday pointed out, it's damn near IMPOSSIBLE to correctly clean a weapon and NOT know that it's loaded. That's why I think that the vast majority of these "I was cleaning my gun and it went off", tales are BS.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:43 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker
[size="2"]
[/size][size="2"][/size][size="2"]But NOT while CLEANING a firearm. As Everyday pointed out, it's damn near IMPOSSIBLE to correctly clean a weapon and NOT know that it's loaded. That's why I think that the vast majority of these "I was cleaning my gun and it went off", tales are BS. [/size]

Here's what I said:
ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter
The excuse "I didn't know that it was loaded" really means "I didn't check to see if it was loaded."

Steve

Now, in light of WW's comments, I should revise my comment...
The excuse "I didn't know that it was loaded" really means "I don't actually know what I'm doing when I clean my gun."

As often as we hear the excuse "I didn't know that it was loaded," makes me think gun cleaning should be a part of every hunter safety course.

Steve

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:03 am

When my son was younger, I took him out to shoot the .22 rifle.   It's a semi-auto so I was counting 10 rounds in and out.  He shot 9 times then lowered the gun.  Before I could say something, he pulled the trigger one more time and let out a meek "oops".   Needless to say, I was angry and told him so.  Thankfully, he was still pointing it downrange.  Lesson learned.   

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:49 am

I was reading the thread title again and I had another observation. Consider these words.........

"The gun went off while cleaning it."

Now, unless there's something mechanically wrong with the weapon that would cause it to discharge on it's own, there's NO WAY any gun, "Just goes off". If it went off, it's because SOMEONE FIRED IT.

They're inanimate, cold, objects, with no mind or reasoning skills. You could put a fully loaded, properly functioning gun in a room with you for the rest of eternity, and it will NEVER,EVER harm you unless either you, or someone or something else causes it to be fired.

Most all of these "accidental discharges" are simply lack of personal responsibility, and this invalid argument plays right into the hands of the gun-o-phobe's faulty reasoning of "blame the weapon, not the handler."
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:28 pm

Amen.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:18 pm

One time my gun went off while I was aiming it. Matter of fact, that happened more than once. Never while cleaning it, tho.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic