Studying

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Demoderby4

Studying

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:50 pm

Ok all you college students, im having a hell of a time finding motivation to study this sem! :( Its terrible, i haven't done too terrible on my exams so far, im getting 2 A's a B and a C right now, so thats respectable for the time being lol, but what do you guys do to get motivated to study? Or what do you do to actually study before the night/morning of, i should be studying now, but im obviosuly not lol! See what im saying?! lol! Thanks for any input, lets see if we can share some ideas and help one another out!!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Highlander Archery

RE: Studying

Postby Highlander Archery » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:20 pm

Whatcha studying and which institution are you at?

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:47 am

Get off the Internet. We didn't have the Internet when I was a student, or it would have been very difficult to find time to study.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:27 am

Well what EH said...and I had to write what I read to learn ...so I did "highlights " of the important things on index cards and clearly marked them in bundles per subject and carried them with me to read while eating...walking to class....breaks at work...ect....If you commute ask to record your sessions and if it's OK ...buy a small pocket recorder then listen to it on your drives to school and back....Now go STUDY!!![;)]

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:37 am

Well here is what I did:

I could never study during the day/early evening, classload and intramural sports seemed to hold a higher priority for some reason [;)] plus the dorms were kind of crazy at those hours.

Even then, motivation was tough lots of times. But when I finally found some mental time to think I remembered:

1) I was paying for all of this (student loans), if I fail or do poorly I will not get that money back. I had a Pell grant for the Dorm, if I failed I would lose that too.

2) If that failed I thought, well do I want to go back to the car wash, or back to the factory building boats, or planting trees on a golf course, etc*

3) And lastly, I would look up at the packs of Oodles of Noodles stored on my 5' wide shelf and think.....no way, not the rest of my life.**

Good luck!!

*Not that there is anything wrong with any of those occupations. I did all of them and more, but realized I wanted to persue a different career direction.

**Strangely though, I still eat the heck out of these jewels. Maybe its a constant reminder....
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:59 am

Thanks guys, yeah getting off the internet would be a good start but, i need to to get/read my review, plus i need to buy a new printer, so i have to kinda be online to read off of it, i cant print it off right now, :/ lol, the note card thing is a good idea,i may have to do that, and i never reeally thought about recording myself, that would prob be beneficial lol! The money factor is a powerful factor, im 4 years in and down 35k or something ridiculous :( lol! oh well its part of it, can't do much with out a degree of somekind these days, and Highlander, im at Wayne State University in Detroit, and im studying business mgt, was studying to become a history teacher for the first 3 or so years.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:44 am

Good golly  Sailfish it was 25cent boxes of mac and cheese for me.....but I also had the smallest meal ticket they had....not sure which was worse....lol

2Poppa

Postby 2Poppa » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:00 am

-> Be sure and maintain a teachable spirit!

-> When reading,to study, read the text out loud, there is something significant about hearing the words that aids in retaining the facts.

-> Write all of the important facts/truths down on paper, especially the facts that jump off the paper at you. As mentioned before "highlite" areas of importance.

-> Study as if you are the one teaching the subject!

-> Turn off your cell phone. Create an area in your living quarters that's conduscive to learning, and remove all distractions.

-> Get a good night's sleep and when all else fails ... pray!

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:14 am

I found that sometimes the best motivation to study is to not study at all. When I was in nursing school, that was my life, studying. I would get so burned out with studying that it would literally make me sick to my stomach knowing I had to open the books. My point is, you need to take a break every now and then b/c you can study to much. I would study hard for a few days then have a day to do whatever I wanted. I passed with flying colors!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:27 pm

ORIGINAL: Sailfish

Well here is what I did:

I could never study during the day/early evening, classload and intramural sports seemed to hold a higher priority for some reason [;)] plus the dorms were kind of crazy at those hours.

Even then, motivation was tough lots of times. But when I finally found some mental time to think I remembered:

1) I was paying for all of this (student loans), if I fail or do poorly I will not get that money back. I had a Pell grant for the Dorm, if I failed I would lose that too.

2) If that failed I thought, well do I want to go back to the car wash, or back to the factory building boats, or planting trees on a golf course, etc*

3) And lastly, I would look up at the packs of Oodles of Noodles stored on my 5' wide shelf and think.....no way, not the rest of my life.**

Good luck!!

[size="1"]*Not that there is anything wrong with any of those occupations. I did all of them and more, but realized I wanted to persue a different career direction.[/size]
[size="1"][/size] 
[size="1"]**Strangely though, I still eat the heck out of these jewels. Maybe its a constant reminder....[/size]
what he said
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Next

Return to Off Topic