Can you afford this?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
kellory

Re: Can you afford this?

Postby kellory » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:17 pm

I will bet you did not have it in it's little bag. that slows the burn, insulates it a bit, and reduces the heat a bit. They do work well, but there are drawbacks as well.No one I know of locally now carry the scentless fluid for them. Though it can be ordered online. The bags are safer, lighter, easier, and about the same cost to operate. I have a dozen of the tear and shakes in my pack right now. They weigh less than one Jony Warmer full and ready to go. No brainer. :|
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:01 am

I had one and for the life of me couldnt get it going proper..''Jonny5b handwarmer''....i remember it was Dec. and i actually thought it would save me money and keep my hands warm..i did everything correctly had it in the lil red bag ,and was constantly adjusting how much air it got...first it was a little noisy...and some smell...than it was barely throwing heat so i opened the bag all the way...holding it open to the air w/jersey gloves on...it just wasnt throwing good heat in the pocket...well exposing to the open air got the heat going- :D --so much that it almost burnt my hand....next thing i know i heard a 12 yr old girl scream and it was laying on the ground buried in the snow...i think the scream might have been me- :lol: --HOT hOT-Hot!!!!!!!

I havent used one since--like the heat packs much better,and i also seal em up and re-use ..........say...from a morning to evening hunt...i re-seal em in a ziploc bag and squeeze all the air out..than take a new pack for back-up...but rarely have to tear into them...a good handmuff helps too.

OH ya ..to the original post...i also think the prices are over the top...im not a big e-bay shopper at all but did purchase a pair of ''Arctic shield bibs'' normally 100 bucks ...got em for 40bucks...great investment...anything that helps your core temp stay up means less heat packs and more time on the stand..

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:27 pm

The Jony Warmers don't make any sound at all once you have them lit and closed up. They trick with them is once you light them, you have to let them burn wide open for about ten minutes, then cap them and bag them. they will burn you if your are careless with them because they do put out quite abit of heat. a little more than the tear and shakes, and even with the "scentless" fluid, they still have an odor. However, I have taken several deer while carring four running Jony Warmers, so the deer don't seem to care much. Or maybe then scent is so old that the deer don't connect it with danger. I have not used them in years, but I have been thinking if useing them as scent dispersers. like a warming pan at a buffet. What do you think? Worth trying? take several, wrap it and set a metal bowl on top with some deer pee maybe. Anyon try this before? :?:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:59 pm

rmontez wrote:we got to talking about the Johnny Hand Warmers last night at my sons football game and some of the older guys said they had them but didn't know what they were called so I was able to tell them. Thanks for the info!

I went to Gander Mountain today and was looking at new boots when I came across Columbia's electric boots. Charge them up and they keep your feet warm for 5 hours. What happens the other 5 + hours you sit in the woods!!!! $449.00. lol..

If you were looking for these, I misspelled it.[attachment=0]Jon-e hand warmer fluid.jpg[attachment=0]bagged handwarmer.jpg[attachment=0]Jon-e hand warmer.jpg
Attachments
Jon-e hand warmer.jpg
Jon-e hand warmer.jpg (38.41 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Jon-e hand warmer fluid.jpg
Jon-e hand warmer fluid.jpg (78.46 KiB) Viewed 1010 times

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:56 pm

I'm too poor to duck hint.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:16 pm

One of the many phases that hunters go through is the "stuff" phase. I was one of them. Not surprisingly, the peak of my stuff phase coincided with my duck hunting addiction which I kicked a little over a decade ago. As bad as deer hunting can be as far as the acquisition of "stuff" goes, it is SPARTAN compared to duck hunting! With what my friends and I mobilized for the opener, we could have equipped a good share of the ground forces in the first Gulf War!

Then around age 45, the tide began to ebb. I gave up hunting ducks not because I didn't enjoy it, but because the duck hunting around here had gotten SO poor, that even I realized that it was not worth the time and effort I was putting into it. That's when I also began my next phase (which I'm still in), of "less is more". I find it more fun, less stressful (supply lines and logistics take their toll on you!), and CERTAINLY cheaper!

I think that maybe one of the reasons why hunters, especially deer hunters, go through a stuff phase, is that they equate having more stuff with being a better or more successful deer hunter. That was certainly my case. Then one day you realize that it's not what you have, but what you KNOW that makes you a better deer hunter. There's only one way to acquire that....time in the woods and experience of observation.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Previous

Return to Off Topic