For Horse People, Or ANYONE Who Loves Animals

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Woods Walker

For Horse People, Or ANYONE Who Loves Animals

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm a horseman, and this is absolutely amazing. Bear in mind that this young lady is a deaf mute!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya409k181kk
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Re: For Horse People, Or ANYONE Who Loves Animals

Postby kellory » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:52 pm

That was truly impressive.Woodsey, do you know the young lady? My daughter was takeing lessons for a while, and Horses and I get along just fine, and I ride, but nowhere close to that well. In fact it has been a few years since I was last on horseback. But I have always wanted to take a horseback hunting trip away from everything. a small party, with 1-2 pack horses each(tradeoff mounts) and keep it pretty simple. Maybe work out of line cabin, or a mine entrance. You ever thought about that type of hunt? :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:19 pm

Oh yes. Before I die, my dream is to go on a full scale pack in elk hunt. When I lived in Wyoming, I used to help this one guide, and while we didn't hunt on horseback, we used a packhorse to get game out of the mountains if need be. I have horses now, and when I do get new ground to hunt, I will try to scout if from horseback initially. I can cover A LOT of ground that way, and surprisingly minor trails and other sign is much more visible from horseback. The deer don't seem to spook as bad if you roust them from horseback either, and you darn sure can get closer to them.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:23 pm

I can see some advantages, You can shoot from a horse, but not from a vehical, better vision from a higher perch for seeing a game trail, less fatigue, cover scent of horse, and with my style of shooting a bow it would be a lot like the cosacks of early Russia. I use no bow sights, I shoot instintive, and I shoot at war speed(draw and loose pause no more than a heartbeat or so,) And I use a short bow which should not interfere with the saddle or leg. If I had access to horses on a regular basis, or could take one hunting, it might be worth target shooting from horseback. Well, it is an interesting idea, anyhow. :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

bobow

Postby bobow » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:59 am

Woods Walker wrote:I have horses now, and when I do get new ground to hunt, I will try to scout if from horseback initially. I can cover A LOT of ground that way, and surprisingly minor trails and other sign is much more visible from horseback. The deer don't seem to spook as bad if you roust them from horseback either, and you darn sure can get closer to them.

How about stalking on horseback ;) I would love to see you on horseback in your ghillie suit!

I seriously hope you get to do the elk hunt soon!
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:49 pm

Thanks, but right now that dream is as far away as it's ever been. I'm not planning on doing any hunting at all this fall. My business is at zero, and I'm looking for a full time job, which at my age, is not going to be easy.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Woodsey, you could work for a landscaper, and when the woman of the house says " and put the bush over there" you could stand there until she changes her mind again! You could save hours of backbreaking lobor for the landscaper instead of moving the potted shrub time after time! Genius! You could even have understudies! and look alikes! Think of the possibilities! :lol:

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Kell.......I AM a landscaper! Or should say I was......until our government fixed things so that no one's spending any money on their homes anymore, because they are right now NOT a good investment. Actually, buying a car is a better investment than a home.....as bad an "investment" as a car is. At least you don't have to pay PROPERTY TAXES on a car! And property taxes, I might add, that continue to INCREASE even though your home is worth what it was 15 years ago!!!! :x
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:53 am

Great horsemanship - but I would say the horse should get some credit as well. :D
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:56 am

Woods Walker wrote:Kell.......I AM a landscaper! Or should say I was......until our government fixed things so that no one's spending any money on their homes anymore, because they are right now NOT a good investment. Actually, buying a car is a better investment than a home.....as bad an "investment" as a car is. At least you don't have to pay PROPERTY TAXES on a car! And property taxes, I might add, that continue to INCREASE even though your home is worth what it was 15 years ago!!!! :x

What, you have never heard of appealing your tax appraisa?. I have done that on both of the properties we own that have houses on them, and have won both times siginificant reductions in the taxes they wanted us to pay.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Next

Return to Off Topic