A senior's view on environmentalism, or "the green thing"

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Everyday Hunter

A senior's view on environmentalism, or "the green thing"

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:24 am

I got this in an email today. Worth posting, I thought:

The Green Thing

In the line at the store, the cashier told an older woman that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized to her and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment."

He was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that old lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana.

In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us.

When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water.

We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service.

We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from an uppity young person.

Steve.
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Sailfish

Re: A senior's view on environmentalism, or "the green thing

Postby Sailfish » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:38 pm

Great email.

I imagine there are tons of other examples as well.

I love the plastic bottle thing though.

Even better is how you see a signs on these new park benches "This park bench was made from 10,000 recycled water bottles" etc. Very green right? Except the crude oil required to produce water bottles in the first place in the US over 20 million barrels a year! And the tons of CO2 released and the 3 liters of water are required to net 1 liter of drinking water. And then there is the waste that isn't recycled in our landfills, forests, oceans etc. from the non-recycled plastic bottles.
The list just goes on and on.

Saw a cool show about Coca Cola (by the way best served at 37 degrees) and the "bottling business". Chile and Mexico and some other backwards countries still use real bottles. And they figure each bottle gets re-used around 15 times!!! Amazing.

Think about the numbers "green" jobs (and improve are national green score) that could be created if we went back to just recycling bottles.
Publix, Piggly Wiggly, IGA would hire the bottle guy again, truck driver would haul, bottle washer, bottle suppliers. Less trash on the road cuz with the tough economy folks would go back to picking up bottles for .10, we'd save on using millions of barrels of oil and water used to make plastic. I think its a win win!!! Hope Obama doesn't latch onto my idea. Of course though, there probably isn't big profit in it for a corporate bud and it makes sense so.........I think I'm safe :lol:
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:54 pm

I'm in my forties, so not exactly young, and I'd say it was us older generations that invented most of our "modern conveniences"(including the generation that is now in their eighties and nineties), so we wouldn't have to do all of the things you listed. These "uppity" youngsters have certainly been born into a time were hard work has been replaced with technology, but we are responsible for creating the world they live in. It is my kid's great-grandparents, grandparents, and parents that they see using these things on a daily basis, so why exactly would they care how the changes came about since they didn't have any part in it? To them, the fact that we invented such stuff only confirms that we didn't give much thought to the environment. It is an interesting list to distinguish many of the changes from the past, but it is hardly a tool to use to say older generations were environmentally aware. We weren't, we did those things because we had to, and only until something better came along.

Sailfish - You really think the corporate execs in the bottling industry are liberals? ;)
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:52 pm

I beleive it was in the 1920's when the guy who ran the patent office wanted to shut it down because "everything that could be invented, already had been." Food for thought. ;) :mrgreen:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:29 pm

When I was a kid in the mid 50's my brother and I collected every pop bottle we could find. We would pull our wagon around and pick them up then wash them at home. 2 cents for a small bottle and 5 cents for the quarts. Made a fortune and kept the neighborhood clean.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Kellory, was it maybe "should" instead of "could"? I find a lot of truth in that.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:26 pm

Yeah, things like defibulators, inoculations, pacemakers, stints, ....give me an hour and I'm sure i can come up with a hundred of those things no one needs, just in the medical field alone, then will think about fire fighting gear, maybe transportation.... ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:11 pm

That's why I chose a lot of truth, rather than call it a true statement. You have to admit, our advances in technology have replaced a lot of human labor as well as replaced a lot of physical output that once kept us somewhat in shape. The more we invent, the more we replace. Combine that with the advancements that have extended life expectancy, and our population is outpacing our ability to sustain it. I'm a computer programmer :geek: , so it has worked to my advantage, but I can't help wonder where it all is heading.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:32 pm

Funny, you are software, I'm hardware, speaking on a combination of the two, to discuss hunting without either. Ironic. ;)

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:37 pm

More of those wandering conversations. At least this one was on the Off Topic board. :D

Next

Return to Off Topic