A senior's view on environmentalism, or "the green thing"

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
kellory

Re: A senior's view on environmentalism, or "the green thing

Postby kellory » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:39 pm

What??? You want to start a thread on Irony now? I did start one on hand-me-down guns! ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:38 am

pgchambers wrote:I'm in my forties, so not exactly young, and I'd say it was us older generations that invented most of our "modern conveniences"(including the generation that is now in their eighties and nineties), so we wouldn't have to do all of the things you listed. These "uppity" youngsters have certainly been born into a time were hard work has been replaced with technology, but we are responsible for creating the world they live in. It is my kid's great-grandparents, grandparents, and parents that they see using these things on a daily basis, so why exactly would they care how the changes came about since they didn't have any part in it? To them, the fact that we invented such stuff only confirms that we didn't give much thought to the environment. It is an interesting list to distinguish many of the changes from the past, but it is hardly a tool to use to say older generations were environmentally aware. We weren't, we did those things because we had to, and only until something better came along.

Sailfish - You really think the corporate execs in the bottling industry are liberals? ;)

Great post.

As hunters we should also be conservationist, and be very aware of dangers and damage to our environment, from wherever they might come.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:48 pm

Kellory,
I read your last post a few times and I'm hoping that I misread it, but are you saying that defibrillators, inoculations, pacemakers and stents are of no medical value?
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:41 pm

pgchambers wrote:Kellory, was it maybe "should" instead of "could"? I find a lot of truth in that.

Sorry you misunderstood, that was a sarcastic jibe at pgcambers comment. He perfers the simpler time, and I beleive we built these things for a reason. I picked obvious and unargueable ones for a start. :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:34 pm

Sarcasm sometimes is lost in print. Glad to hear it was indeed sarcasm.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Sopchoppy

Postby Sopchoppy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:58 am

Ohio farms wrote:When I was a kid in the mid 50's my brother and I collected every pop bottle we could find. We would pull our wagon around and pick them up then wash them at home. 2 cents for a small bottle and 5 cents for the quarts. Made a fortune and kept the neighborhood clean.

I "sold" alot of coke, nehi, and rc bottles for 2 cents each. Headed off to Lilly's store to turn in the bottles and buy candy. One of the fun things we did was to look on the bottom of coke bottles to see where they were made. Who ever had the one fartherest away, won. Didn't win anything, just won.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:41 am

pgchambers wrote:Sailfish - You really think the corporate execs in the bottling industry are liberals? ;)

Other than a few of the most richest liberals in the US (Walton kids (IE Wal-mart), Buffet, Soros) most big corporate donors (Like Coke for example) give pretty much equally to both parties. So I guess I can answer Yes (and no) to your question ;)
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Dylan

Postby Dylan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:28 am

Where do I get on of those TV screens the size of Montana? I have the perfect room for it.

:?

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:33 pm

Sailfish wrote:
pgchambers wrote:Sailfish - You really think the corporate execs in the bottling industry are liberals? ;)

Other than a few of the most richest liberals in the US (Walton kids (IE Wal-mart), Buffet, Soros) most big corporate donors (Like Coke for example) give pretty much equally to both parties. So I guess I can answer Yes (and no) to your question ;)

I was really just making a joke about any of them being his buddy. I'm guessing most of them don't care for him or his politics much,
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:37 pm

Kellory, I prefer the simpler times like I think of my teenage years. There are a lot of things I remember longingly, but when I have to think about it any deeper, I know my memory is pretty selective towards the positive experiences. In both cases, I wouldn't go back.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic